Kia Optima Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Man I'm really interested in doing this to my 14 EX but I have a feeling it may not be quite the same since the entire wheel has changed for the 14 model.

Don't like to double-post but figure I'd update after talking with the local parts guy. He looked in his system and the 11-13 shifters don't seem like they'll fit on a 14. He tried looking in his system for the parts and he couldn't find any at all, he then tried looking using the old 11-13 part # with any of the 14 cars and they weren't in the system at all. So looks like it's simply too damned early to try to replace/add-on the paddle shifters for a 14.

So I actually just installed this. I can't get them to work at all. I have the orange cable with black stripe and a piece of copper speaker cable running to the metal part of the wheel. I'm pretty sure that's grounded correctly, same as in the pictures above.

Any ideas on what to check?

This is in a 13 LX. I ordered the same parts as linked in OP's first post. I did change my car on the site though, and it said they would work fine.

So still no word on the Hybrid application? I guess I will have to buy some later and try it. If it does not work, I will sell them for cost on here.

Also to everyone that states the paddle shifters are not working for them and they have followed all directions, did you guys put the shifter in "Manual" shifting mode? Also maybe shut off "ECO" mode, if that would have anything to do with it, I have no idea, but can't hurt to try.

Mine still don't work for whatever reason. It has to do with the grounding I believe, but I've hooked mine up the same way as the OP and a couple of others in this thread. Still no go. Everything else in the steering wheel works fine, except the shifters.

To get the shifters to work at all for those that have it working, then the gear shift must be in MANUAL mode. ECO wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Hi Goober

I have 2 optimas 2013

Black Optima with Heated Steering and Silver without Heated Steering.

I got the Original Cable and installed the paddles and cable on the Silver Optima.

Wired the Ground on Pin No 7. (orange with black stripe).

But still paddle shifter do not work.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the time you have put into this.

Hi Goober

I have 2 optimas 2013

Black Optima with Heated Steering and Silver without Heated Steering.

I got the Original Cable and installed the paddles and cable on the Silver Optima.

Wired the Ground on Pin No 7. (orange with black stripe).

But still paddle shifter do not work.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the time you have put into this.
It's been a few years since this last post so I don't think Goober will check it but I think I saw him jump on here once in awhile, maybe try to PM him to see if he's still around the forum and help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know no one is probably still interested in this. But came across this while looking to replace my worn steering wheel.

Awesome and fun mod. Just did it using a 2013 sxl steering wheel with shifters already on it. I think a lot of the issues people were having was a bad ground to the orange and black wire. The blue tapper barely touched the metal, didn't work the first time, so I just "t'd" the ground by soldering it to the wire and it worked
Thank agin for this mod

I just did this mod on my '13 LX, and it does not work... I verified the parts numbers and everything. Not sure where I went wrong... In any case, I ended up with an extra wiring harness of the correct type, as I tried it with a used one, and a new one, but still no joy.

If anyone wants the extra harness , I'll send it to them.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.