Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I have all the materials ready to install, but i have one question... in the video, where he has the ground wire scotch locked....
Is the ground wire cut and spliced into the new wire or did he just tap into the ground and not cut?

The reason i ask is because im looking at the harness right now and the ground wire also runs to each of the paddle switches. so if i cut , wont it lose the signal to the switch????

iM STUCK,
Spice into the paddle harness before the paddles. Make sure you ground it next to the plug.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Ok. Paddle bolts are m5x0.8. For sure dorman part number 785124 at advance auto. Ground I believe is m8x1.25. I'm not 100% on this one and I don't have time to take wheel off today. I'm 95% sure. Dorman part 980425

Done! I' ve been wanting to do this mod for a looong time. Thanks for the guidance Goober, could not have done it wiothout your help! Im adding some pics of how i spliced the harness by tapping into the orange/black wire for the ground just to help illustrate to others interested in this mod since you could not really see that in your vid.. Hope it Helps.
Such a fun lil mod!

That was goober that swapped clusters, not me. I just installed the paddles. Goob and I seem to be on the same page though, as im willing to bet he got that cluster from ebay. The same one I had my eye on..... but at least it went to a knowledgeable member of the forum. And yes I think we need a diy on the cluster swap.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
That was goober that swapped clusters, not me. I just installed the paddles. Goob and I seem to be on the same page though, as im willing to bet he got that cluster from ebay. The same one I had my eye on..... but at least it went to a knowledgeable member of the forum. And yes I think we need a diy on the cluster swap.
I'll post a DIY of the cluster swap in the next week or so. It's very simple and takes about 15 min.

I have a 2013 Kia optima I am doing this to and I can't seem to get them to work... One thing i thought of was I cut the orange/black wire and grounded it to the wheel instead of splicing. Could that be the problem? Or maybe its the fact that its a 2013, or the LX. Idk your help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2013 Kia optima I am doing this to and I can't seem to get them to work... One thing i thought of was I cut the orange/black wire and grounded it to the wheel instead of splicing. Could that be the problem? Or maybe its the fact that its a 2013, or the LX. Idk your help is greatly appreciated.
Hey guy,

I have the exact same year and trim level, and got mine to work flawlessly. You probably shouldn't have cut that ground wire... Instead, find a way to reconnect it, and tap into it for an extra ground wire for the paddle shifters. Ground that cable to the same bolt shown in the video (that's what I did) and it works without a problem.

-Brad

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.