Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Kia Optima SXL, and over the weekend my engine seized up with code P1326. Im currently going to change out my Knock Sensor and put the car back together if that doesn’t work I’ll be taking the car to KIA. What will happen with my engine

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
382 Posts
I have a 2016 Kia Optima SXL, and over the weekend my engine seized up with code P1326. Im currently going to change out my Knock Sensor and put the car back together if that doesn’t work I’ll be taking the car to KIA. What will happen with my engine
Replacing a knock sensor that is fine and did its job is not going to magically fix a seized engine if it's actually seized. Just get it to the dealer for them to replace the engine under warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
As you had the P1326 code, the car had the KSDS up that came out late 2019, so the engine has a lifetime warranty. Don't screw with it or erase the code, but get it to the dealer and they should replace the engine, no charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine should have a lifetime warranty with a rental car also while waiting or reimbursement.
So does every kia optima that has a P1326 pop up covered under this or just the ones with their VIN numbers in the NHTSA Kia recall, because mine isn’t in there for a recall

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you had the P1326 code, the car had the KSDS up that came out late 2019, so the engine has a lifetime warranty. Don't screw with it or erase the code, but get it to the dealer and they should replace the engine, no charge.
So does every kia optima that has a P1326 pop up covered under this or just the ones with their VIN numbers in the NHTSA Kia recall, because mine isn’t in there for a recall

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
The KSDS update is not a recall, it's an update, and ALL engines in cars that had the update is covered by a lifetime warranty.

How do I get the Lifetime Warranty and is it transferable?
You do NOT need to submit a claim form to receive the Lifetime Warranty. Contact your local Hyundai or Kia dealership (depending on the make of your vehicle) and arrange to have the Knock System Detection System installed at no charge to you. If you do this then you will also receive the Lifetime Warranty. Yes, the Lifetime Warranty will run with the vehicle and will transfer with vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thought it was only through 2015 model year for the engines, Turbo. What's the mileage on the car? If it's under 100k it's covered under the standard powertrain warranty anyways.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Covers all years of 2 and 2.4L theta II engines with or without GDI and/or a turbo. See attached for details yet the Key is the auto having the KSDS update Before the engine fails And a P1326 CEL being set (don't erase). Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
Thought it was only through 2015 model year for the engines, Turbo. What's the mileage on the car? If it's under 100k it's covered under the standard powertrain warranty anyways.
They produced all the crappy engines for 9 years, 2011/2019 all covered 2.4/2.0T.

Covers all years of 2 and 2.4L theta II engines with or without GDI and/or a turbo. See attached for details yet the Key is the auto having the KSDS update Before the engine fails And a P1326 CEL being set (don't erase). Luck.
Not to be too critical, but all the problems revolve around the GDI engine and there were no MPFI in the update, recall.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
680 Posts
They produced all the crappy engines for 9 years, 2011/2019 all covered 2.4/2.0T.
Not to be too critical, but all the problems revolve around the GDI engine and there were no MPFI in the update, recall.
So IF i can figure how to steal someone's Optima without them missing it, I want a "20-'22 with MPFI engines?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
So IF i can figure how to steal someone's Optima without them missing it, I want a "20-'22 with MPFI engines?
My opinion it that it's not the direct injection that is the fault, but the engine block redesigned for direct injection. Having said that, direct injection in these engines also cause intake valve carbon buildup that can create problems, so the "new" engines have an additional injector before the intake valve to alleviate that buildup.

Don't know if they will ever learn from their mistakes as the 2.5T has had a recall for fuel pipe leak, and if this sounds familiar they've experienced the same fault with the Optima starting in 2011. Will the new 2.5 engine design afford a lifetime of non engine problems? Time will tell.

Just to add some 2020-2021 2.0 engines in the Soul were recalled for improperly treated piston rings that could cause the engine to seize.
Recall for the 2015-2017 3.3 engine that can have oil starvation and engine seizure due to a defective oil pressure switch.
The 2017-2018 Forte recalled for oil pump problem, engine seizures.

The above isn't an entire list of recalls, but engine recalls that I remember, and only added the above to indicate the problems aren't only found in the Optima, but in other models and other engines throughout the years.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
So in lamens terms, if the engine is seized up and has a KSDS, they’ll replace the engine. Does that also include poor or adequate maintenance
Depends on the dealership and if Kia decides to add insult to injury and ask for maintenance records. They usually pull the VC and check the engine and if questionable maintence, they'll ask for records. Sometimes, being such an outstanding company, they'll ask for records regardless of engine condition, just to try to worm their way out of replacement.
Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts

I stand corrected - thanks. Interesting how some of their engines still manage to work long periods and others not of the same model.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
Interesting how some of their engines still manage to work long periods and others not of the same model.
That is the million dollar question as with all the research and postings over the years have never come up with a logical answer as to why the block/rings on some go and others don't. There is no common denominator as no type of maintenance, oils, driving habits, etc have ever been proven to be the culprit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't screw with it or erase the code, but get it to the dealer and they should replace the engine, no charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got the car back today after they have changed my engine out with another engine, now my check engine light is on again, and the car rough idles after 60 mph, then struggles to go any higher than that. Took it to O’Reily’s for a code read, and it came back with a P2006-00: Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed. Now i have to take it back to Kia for them to fix it. The first problem was covered by warranty, will this one be covered as well?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts