Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Sunday (7-17) I was driving my optima home and the check engine light started flashing. Luckily was right by an O’Reillys and had them run the code. Code P1326 popped up. Was able to get it to the Kia stealership that I usually go to when I’m getting warranty items repaired. Got a message from them on Monday and they said it would be 7-10 days for a diagnoses and another 5-6 weeks before they even see the engine . As the days went on I got curious to the length it took the other dealership about 15 minutes away on these issues. They said it would be 2 days to diagnose and no longer than a month before I’d have my car back. Also told me they’d get me a hertz rental right away when kia approved. Told the location that my car is at and they’ve changed up their tune a bit. Claim they’ll have it done Monday and that they will do the rental too once approved. feel like I’m being lied too. Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Yes, the possibility of everyone that owns one of these cars with the crappy engine.
The stealership/Hyundai/Kia have been overwhelmed with engine replacements and some have waited months, but I just don't understand how it takes so long to diagnose the problem, especially with the P1326. Shouldn't be longer than one day, but the question is, how many cars are lined up before you, no only engine replacements, but just run of the mill repairs?
One poster that had their car at the stealership to have the engine replaced, stated there was 18 cars in line for engine replacement before his.
Good luck

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,594 Posts
I still feel like the dealerships somehow want to delay diagnosis, because they don't trigger the ability to pay for the rental until the diagnosis is completed. Maybe they are trying to protect their loaner cars or something? Would corporate somehow try to get the dealerships to delay the diagnosis to avoid paying for rental cars?

Bottom line, we see people just waiting for engines, and Kia would have to cover car rentals that entire time, so to cut down on the total time, they delay the diagnosis. For example, delay the diagnosis until more engines are available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just ran into a pretty similar situation. About a month ago I was driving home on the freeway in my 2017 Optima, engine light came on and car went into limp mode. Drove it home, and then had it towed to my local mechanic. Code was P1326 and mechanic said it was like rod bearing issue needed to go to KIA. KIA told me on July 10th that my car wouldn’t even be diagnosed until August 12th, and no rental until it was diagnosed. I called the two other dealerships nearby and they also said it would be 1 month+ wait, as well as basically stating they had too many engine replacements to keep up on. I got a call this past Thursday that they got it in early, new engine replacement approved by Kia and I could pick it up that day. So I would say to stay hopeful and patient, it’s a really shitty process but as long as you confirm you have the KSDS update, it should work out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I just ran into a pretty similar situation. About a month ago I was driving home on the freeway in my 2017 Optima, engine light came on and car went into limp mode. Drove it home, and then had it towed to my local mechanic. Code was P1326 and mechanic said it was like rod bearing issue needed to go to KIA. KIA told me on July 10th that my car wouldn’t even be diagnosed until August 12th, and no rental until it was diagnosed. I called the two other dealerships nearby and they also said it would be 1 month+ wait, as well as basically stating they had too many engine replacements to keep up on. I got a call this past Thursday that they got it in early, new engine replacement approved by Kia and I could pick it up that day. So I would say to stay hopeful and patient, it’s a really shitty process but as long as you confirm you have the KSDS update, it should work out.
I’ve got the ksds update as I generally take my car in for warranty repairs (just had the knock sensor replaced less than 2 months ago). It took a month for your car to be done or a month for you to get a rental? Did they cover your rental for you or did they make you dink around trying to get reimbursed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve got the ksds update as I generally take my car in for warranty repairs (just had the knock sensor replaced less than 2 months ago). It took a month for your car to be done or a month for you to get a rental? Did they cover your rental for you or did they make you dink around trying to get reimbursed?
So I actually didn’t even get a rental at all, they said I needed to wait until a diagnostic was done until I got the rental, and then I suddenly got the call that the diagnostic and engine repair were both done. So I went around 3 weeks with no car, and no rental offered at all. Thankfully I was able to move to work from home to avoid issue.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,594 Posts
So I actually didn’t even get a rental at all, they said I needed to wait until a diagnostic was done until I got the rental, and then I suddenly got the call that the diagnostic and engine repair were both done. So I went around 3 weeks with no car, and no rental offered at all. Thankfully I was able to move to work from home to avoid issue.
This is exactly the kind of BS that I think they are ON PURPOSE denying rental coverage by delaying the diagnosis.

It's a BS trick they use to comply with the rules of the legal order but figured a loophole to avoid covering rental.

Can anyone explain this situation, where the dealership MAGICALLY was able to obtain an engine the VERY SAME DAY that they performed the diagnosis?

They conveniently screwed this guy out of a rental payment, because they pretend they haven't diagnosed it, when really they diagnose it and order the engine, then don't tell the customer and just force the customer to pay for his own rental, and as soon as the engine comes in after 3 weeks, then they finally spill the beans about the diagnosis.

Luckily this dealership was so F'n retarded that they didn't know how to make the story more plausible, so they created an undeniable situation that proves in my mind there is a concerted effort to screw over people.

Becuase so many dealerships are using this exact same tactic, it's like collusion or an organized conspiracy to violate the legal agreement. We need another class action suit to force them to actually cover rentals now.

My guess is nobody ever from now forward will get their rental covered.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My guess is nobody ever from now forward will get their rental covered.
It is a strategy to get out of more expensive than ever rentals by Kia. Probably difficult to prove they do it on purpose yet staying on them every couple of days can't hurt. Luck all.

Reactions: Turbonut

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been part of this discussion on other threads. My '12 Optima turbo started knocking coming off the highway last May. My D8 scantool showed a P1326. The car surged, had no power and the CEL went on every time the knocking started. At idle it blinked steadily. I was able to make it up the mountain to my house. I think that if the KSDS update had not been installed, I would have thrown a rod. I contacted Crowley KIA in Bristol, CT and they told me to bring the car in the next morning. Two days later they told me that it failed the bearing clearance test and a new engine was on order. Three weeks later they put the motor in but said that they found a damaged wiring harness for the ignition and that the downstream O2 sensor showed a code. Now, I've worked on cars for over forty years and I knew that they broke some stuff but rather than argue or try to figure out where they buggered up the wiring I bit the bullet and paid them the $900 to fix the issues. The real consolation is that when the engine lunched I was going over 120 mph, so I basically blew it up intentionally. I bought it off of my GF and I was aware of the issues these cars have. I brought it back to the same dealer where she bought it new, and the service writer was the same person she dealt with. She had lifetime oil changes when she owned the car under warranty and believe me, within a day after I changed the oil it was as black as tar. Inside the valve cover was a heavy, dark varnish. It used over a quart every 1K. I've digressed but if KIA wants to expedite a timely engine replacement, it's certainly not too hard for them, even though I likely received preferential treatment.
Now I'm sure that this is eating away KIA; the continuing class action lawsuit claiming excessive oil consumption in every Theta II engine built from 2011 to I think 2019. I'm sure that this added to the knocking warranty will result in KIA having to replace up to 50% of all Theta II engines built over 9 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They need to stop making piece of **** engines and they wouldn’t have to worry about it. They’re the ones doing it and no sympathy should be felt for Kia. They’re currently trying to screw me out of an engine. Why should I risk my life waiting for the engine to seize up and not feel comfortable driving my car before you fix the problem? It’s a **** joke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts