Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... this is the latest code my '11 Optima is throwing. Just had a throttle body cleaning done when they replaced the engine just under a month ago. Did a visual vacuum line inspection and didn't see anything noticeable. I stopped at the dealership this morning and they squeezed it in to look it over. They are doing a goodwill throttle body replacement and hoping that fixes it. Seriously! You don't have a definite diagnosis and are just going to start throwing parts at it. Do mechanics know how to diagnose a problem with multiple possible causes anymore when the computer doesn't tell them the exact answer?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Sounds sketchy. I wonder if they found a problem with the previous work and instead of saying "yup we ****** up and we'll try to fix it again" they are just calling it a goodwill replacement to save face? Like maybe somebody damaged something during the cleaning, tried to cover it up and hope you wouldn't come back, but if you did, they knew they had to replace it.

Just all speculation on my part, but seems odd.

And yes, there is very poor or nonexistent logical thinking when it comes to diagnosis. I'd say the opposite too - they are trained to look for any excuse to charge you for extra unnecessary work. Like, if there is any problem, instead of diagnosing it, they will replace anything slightly related, and keep doing that until you run out of money or they accidentally fix the problem. Like it's a mistake if they accidentally fix it the first time, they need to put you through the ringer a few times.

Like if you had a flat tire for example but didn't realize it, they would listen to your description of the symptoms and then insist you needed to change your rotors, brake pads, and caliper. Then they'd borrow your car to get groceries etc. and put 100 miles on the car to "diagnose" that the tire is still flat despite their heroic effort to fix it. Then they would replace your axle and tie rods, and finally insist that you needed a new set of 4 tires. Once they put the 4 new tires on they'd say ****, there is no more problem, we can't change anything else. Ok let's just loosen a hose here or there and hope they come back...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts