Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter went on a trip. When she returned she found that she had gone 8,000 miles past the recommended service on her 2018 EX. It has 40,000 miles on it now. It has been serviced regularly at the Kia dealership up until now. Is there a warranty problem now if the engine fails. I checked the oil when she returned from the trip. It still at the full level and its darker than normal. She bought the life time oil change plan when buying the car new. I expressed my disappointment in her lack of responsibility.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
It could be a potential point of contention, especially given that you indicated that she gets her car serviced regularly at the dealership--meaning they would be able to demonstrate a pattern of regular maintenance in case hypothetically you attempt to cover up the extended elapsed maintenance interval (e.g., you claim that you did a manual oil change between dealer service appointments). Not saying that you would do such a thing but if you explicitly or implicitly admit that you (your daughter actually) missed an oil change, then the dealership would seem to have a blanket over you in case of warranty issues involving the engine, with the service records to show it as well. I am speaking worse case scenario--hopefully nothing bad will happen to the engine as a result due to the "extended" oil change interval.

How many miles does your daughter normally go between oil changes? 8000 miles past is not good but at the same time IMHO it's not the end of the world as far as the engine is concerned, especially if your daughter reports that the engine still seems to run fine and hasn't overheated at all, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts