Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off work last night and my key fob would not work. I manually unlocked the car and the car said “key not detected”. I tried every trick; putting the key in the glove box slot, putting the key over the start button, changing the fob batteries, nothing. I just purchased the car Tuesday and it has been working like a charm up until now. It has a new engine and fairly new battery. There was no warnings that would point to an internal/battery/electrical issue. I’m stumped.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL 2nd engine @ 121k
177 Posts
Crxp! Are there lights on dash or inside? Battery cables good and tight? Take a voltage reading on battery, should be at least 12.7

Have you tried disconnecting battery for a while and reconnecting?

I'd be curious see if there are any CEL codes set or pending but that is probably difficult to access now with no power.

Mine will sometimes say no fob but moving it solves problem, so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crxp! Are there lights on dash or inside? Battery cables good and tight? Take a voltage reading on battery, should be at least 12.7

I'd be curious see if there are any CEL codes set or pending but that is probably difficult to access now with no power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I haven’t tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery yet but when I do I will report the findings

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,073 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums, and sorry to hear about this.

It may be a bad battery in the remote, even though you replaced it with a new one.

If it does turn out to be a bad remote, we can get you out a replacement for a fraction of the cost the dealer charges.

2011-2013 Kia Optima OEM Smart Keyfob Remote - K5 Optima Store

Let us know if you have any questions we can assist with.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven’t tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery yet but when I do I will report the findings
I have the identical issue on my 2012 Optima EX. Key Fob won't start car and manual insertion of "key" into glove box slot. Still dead. Battery is good. Removed battery cables for a few minutes and reconnected. No change......HELP!

·
Registered
348 Posts
hopefully its just a bad battery for the keyfob, try replacing it with a good brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts