Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you can help me, good people of Optima Forums :)

Few weeks ago I started to hear rattling sounds in my 2017 Optima PHEV -- it happens every other time that I break, video here: photos.app.goo.gl/Gs4GYFhY2N8Zzphw8

Dealership said they'll charge $250 diagnostics fee, before they can tell me what's wrong -- and can't guarantee this will be covered by warranty, even though my Optima is only 2 years and 20K miles -- so hope to get insights before I give car to services.

Thank you!
Kirill

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,707 Posts
The PHEV has a regenerative braking system that actuated the electric motor that becomes a generator. Maybe that is what you're hearing. Just a guess as I'm far removed from electric vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 Optima PHEV
13 Posts
I have a 2017 PHEV as well. I didn't hear anything very alarming in your video. I know my brakes do make a sound, as there's some noise that goes away when I release them after parking. But if this is a new sound that you're sure hasn't been there all along, then there might be something amiss. Sorry I can't be more definitive. $250 sounds a bit steep just for diagnosis, particularly if it's a standard brake system checklist that likely won't even find the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The PHEV has a regenerative braking system that actuated the electric motor that becomes a generator. Maybe that is what you're hearing. Just a guess as I'm far removed from electric vehicles.
Thank you, Turbonut - yes, good idea to check on regeneration, even though the sound is not all the time, and it's there even when the car is parked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2017 PHEV as well. I didn't hear anything very alarming in your video. I know my brakes do make a sound, as there's some noise that goes away when I release them after parking. But if this is a new sound that you're sure hasn't been there all along, then there might be something amiss. Sorry I can't be more definitive. $250 sounds a bit steep just for diagnosis, particularly if it's a standard brake system checklist that likely won't even find the problem.
Thank you, ChristinTX - yes, with the sound being new, doesn't look like it's normal. I'll stop by my mechanic and ask if they can quickly check - their rates are much lower than dealership.

Note on the diagnostics fees --
I love my Kia, but diagnostics fees is something I really don't like about the company. They jeopardise customer safety because people may be hesitant to bring their new-and-under-warranty cars in cases like mine. And if brakes fail on me at 65 MPH because something broke down and I didn't check then this won't be good! :)

When oxigen sensor broke down few months ago I went through same thing - they made me sign papers making me responsible for $200 diagnostics fee in case they wouldn't find a problem or it's not under warranty -- even though "Check engine" was coming on. Fortunately, in that case they found an issue and fixed it.

Bottom-line, I think companies should diagnose cars w/out a charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts