Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a long time trying to see what kind of improvements I should make to my car, straight to business:

Just got a used 2012 Kia optima that I bought on craigs list. I was very excited to be financing a car ( normally I lease) so I was thinking about doing some modifications. I installed the Injen cold air intake today and felt very manly installing it in my car.

The only problem was I was expected it to be CARB certified since in the instructions it mentions stuff about CARB and on their website it says they submit every SP product to be carb certified. But after further researching it looks like it isn't carb certified. What does everyone else intend to do in 2 years when we have to get smog checks? Installing the stock intake would be a pain in the ass, I had to cut the exhaust hoses off the OEM intake since they were practically cemented to it.

btw, I love the sound of the new intake -- can't notice any performance boost.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,186 Posts
In CA intakes mostly are not considered legal to pass emissions. I believe a lot of it has to do with the extra carbon filter our stock intakes have. In the airbox above the main filter is an activated carbon filter that absorbs any exhaust gasses that pass back through the intake after you shut down. Don't quote me on the regs though. This is all things i've read. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a long time trying to see what kind of improvements I should make to my car, straight to business:

Just got a used 2012 Kia optima that I bought on craigs list. I was very excited to be financing a car ( normally I lease) so I was thinking about doing some modifications. I installed the Injen cold air intake today and felt very manly installing it in my car.

The only problem was I was expected it to be CARB certified since in the instructions it mentions stuff about CARB and on their website it says they submit every SP product to be carb certified. But after further researching it looks like it isn't carb certified. What does everyone else intend to do in 2 years when we have to get smog checks? Installing the stock intake would be a pain in the ass, I had to cut the exhaust hoses off the OEM intake since they were practically cemented to it.

btw, I love the sound of the new intake -- can't notice any performance boost.
Yea I would love to have a cold air intake on my 217 Optima Cali suck I can't wait to move out of this state but for now I just have a K&N in my stock, NGK spark plugs and a roar pedal. It's enough for my 2.4 until I get the **** out of this stat.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,132 Posts
Yea I would love to have a cold air intake on my 217 Optima Cali suck I can't wait to move out of this state but for now I just have a K&N in my stock, NGK spark plugs and a roar pedal. It's enough for my 2.4 until I get the **** out of this stat.
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Camronic

We do have a workaround to get you an actual intake here in Cali.

Just shoot us over an email to: [email protected] & we can assist.

-David
K5 Optima Store

1 - 6 of 6 Posts