Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m honestly really thinking about putting a turbo just wondering if it’s actually possible and even if it is not I would still like to get a tune what should I go with too tune.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't recommend turbocharging a 2.4L. I'm on my third one in the same vehicle with no mods. The engines, just don't hold up thanks to poor machining/manufacturing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I wouldn't recommend turbocharging a 2.4L. I'm on my third one in the same vehicle with no mods. The engines, just don't hold up thanks to poor machining/manufacturing.
Hey what are you on your 3rd of? The engine, and i just got my optima and the engine was replaced because of recall

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey what are you on your 3rd of? The engine, and i just got my optima and the engine was replaced because of recall
2.4's were not well made. 2.0's can't reliably pass 350WHP without changing the transmission/gearing, and especially switching to 2.2 from a company like LAP3. You do NOT want to delve into this type of rabbit hole with a 2.4, the cost to make anything interesting power-wise in that car is going to financially bankrupt you. If you are looking to just have fun and slap an eBay kit on, you won't be finding anything reliable. If you think you'll get the engine warrantied after it blows up, you won't. It's one thing changing the turbo on a 2.0, you can always change it back. You can also rely on LAP3's 2.2 kit to hold up over time (assuming you don't use their god-forsaken chips) and not need to even change back. I highly recommend you trade in your car, and aim for a 11-15 SX or greater trim, to get that turbo and get your foot in the door. They're not that expensive. Ideally, grab a 2015 SXL and enjoy the amazing interior and really nice car play. The cost of turbo'ing a 2.4 would greatly exceed the cost of just buying a 2.0, and the interior of a SXL is unmatched by cars way, WAY above it's class. (See pic related, for a glace into what it's like before I owned a shop-vac.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there anything you can do to get a bit more pep out of the Optima? I bought a 2015 with 26,000 miles on it. It's now up to 32,000 and I've been pretty satisfied considering the price I paid and the low mileage but there are times when I'd like a bit more horsepower. Any suggestions? I've heard of something called an ECU tune. Has anybody had this done or know anything about it and is it worth it?

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
77 Posts
Is there anything you can do to get a bit more pep out of the Optima? I bought a 2015 with 26,000 miles on it. It's now up to 32,000 and I've been pretty satisfied considering the price I paid and the low mileage but there are times when I'd like a bit more horsepower. Any suggestions? I've heard of something called an ECU tune. Has anybody had this done or know anything about it and is it worth it?
What engine do you have? If it is the NA 2.4l, then nothing practical, as the previous posts say. If it is the turbo, then a piggyback tune is the best bet. Visit the K5 optima store for more info on available options.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What oil did you run? Any OCC or injector cleanings?
5w30 high mileage oil changes between 3-5k. No cleanings done besides the occasional bottle of techron in the tank. Regular unleaded gas all the time. I had them do a throttle body and fuel system cleaning when they put the new engine in. Didn't do anything for the mileage, the idle is seems to fluctuate more and is still rough sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts