Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've recently decided to join the KIA family and bought a used 2011 KIA Optima EX in June, and regrettably sad i was adopted into this family. I really like the car overall, some weird qwerks like the icebox-glovebox but this vehicle cannot handle winter.

I live in Canada; yes we have extreme cold temps;but really don't see it all that often and for very long where i am living geographically, approx. 1.5 hours from Vancouver, BC. This week has been one of the worst weeks recorded in temps dropping below zero. sitting at -11.

my KIA has not been able to start; cant depress brake pedal, purchased a new Battery in thought it was that, warmed up to 2 degrees and she fired up, dipped below freezing again and shes cold. she wont fire up.

Going to local auto store and going to install a Heater Block and she if this allows it to fire up. Its really a bugger that these cars cannot handle any climate below zero,

Wish you all a merry Christmas, and i wish this car starts again.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
When you say she won't fire up, does the engine turn over and not start, or the engine won't turn over?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I live in Manitoba where the temps don't normally go above -20C in the winter months and can go to -45C on any given day! I've had my car since 2012 and it has never not started. But what I think you have to do is switch to a synthetic oil if not already, see what the cold cranking amps are on your battery? higher the better! it is always good to have a block heater installed in Canada, and make sure you do not have something drawing power on your battery when the car is sitting. Hope you find whats going on, keep us informed so we can help you. Cheers

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Manitoba where the temps don't normally go above -20C in the winter months and can go to -45C on any given day! I've had my car since 2012 and it has never not started. But what I think you have to do is switch to a synthetic oil if not already, see what the cold cranking amps are on your battery? higher the better! it is always good to have a block heater installed in Canada, and make sure you do not have something drawing power on your battery when the car is sitting. Hope you find whats going on, keep us informed so we can help you. Cheers
Sounds a wee bit chillier out there than back west here. Where is the plug located to plug in over night??? I thought i had found it... and i bought a block heater for which looked like the location, and was missing it... but it didnt fit where i thought it went, so maybe thats not where it went,............. i know 2012 might be slightly newer... (see photo i thought the left circle part here was where it went....but i was wrong...i think)
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
308 Posts
Sounds a wee bit chillier out there than back west here. Where is the plug located to plug in over night??? I thought i had found it... and i bought a block heater for which looked like the location, and was missing it... but it didnt fit where i thought it went, so maybe thats not where it went,............. i know 2012 might be slightly newer... (see photo i thought the left circle part here was where it went....but i was wrong...i think) View attachment 250855
That is for threading in a tow hook i believe. A block heater is always an aftermarket part I thought unless they sell something specific for the Optima that I'm not aware of but the other person that replied from Canada may give you a better idea of what they installed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine used to do the same thing and I would move the gear selector to Neutral instead, brake, push to start and it would start right up. Not sure what it was and it hasn't done it in a really long time.
Hmm maybe the brake switch is starting to fail and the cold shrinks the plastic just enough to make it not make a good connection? Maybe op should check the brake switch? If it was a thickened oil issue the engine would crank very slowly.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
As it's not getting any juice to the starter, are you saying that the brake pedal doesn't go down when trying to start?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As it's not getting any juice to the starter, are you saying that the brake pedal doesn't go down when trying to start?
When trying to depress the brake pedal; if does not not go down when trying to start, but maybe this is happening as i have pumped the brakes trying to start it...

Ive found and installed the block heater, and now ill wait it out overnight..... see it she starts up.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
218 Posts
Block heater cord is usually fed to be right near the battery on the drivers side of the car! but I don't think that's your problem as you state it's only -11. Check your battery for a draw if your battery get low enough over night it won't have enough power to start. Question, why do you pump up the breaks? that will explain a hard pedal but is totally unnecessary!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Change in cold weather may be due to the valve/seal, but some have had a hard pedal every once in a while for no apparent reason, but there's got to be some loss of vacuum. I know on our '11 2.0T, over the years it's happened numerous times but never often enough to investigate, but just push the pedal down once and if hard, give some extra umph and try to start.....................then see what happens?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,347 Posts
The video makes it seem like the starter is not even getting any juice at all.

As if the car is not even trying to turn over the engine, just not even bothering to energize the starter motor.

So, maybe like others pointed out, the car doesn't think you are pressing the brake pedal. Or, the car doesn't think you are in park.

That's my guess: something wrong with the brake switch (car thinks you aren't pressing the brake pedal), or something wrong with the transmission switch (car thinks you aren't in park).

·
Registered
8 Posts
2015 SX Turbo here with the same problem. Here in PA it gets colder than it does in Raleigh, where I've had the car for 3 years. The problem happens only on the very first start of the day (when it happens, it doesn't always happen). It happens when it gets down to the low 20's (Fahrenheit) or colder. Went down to 16 last night and this morning, wouldn't start. Brake pedal goes down as normal every time. Sometimes I can try it multiple times and it does start, like today it started after about 6 attempts. Once I tried shifting down to Drive and then back up to Park, and about 3 tries later it started. But I don't know if that shifting matters, I just read it mattered to some other people. Trying to narrow down when this happens because there are no dealers close to where I live, and I suspect I will have to take it to a dealer on a cold night so they can reproduce and then diagnose. All recalls done for my car.

I always get the car to start, sometimes I just give up and wait a half hour, then try again. There was only one time I had to do that multiple times. It does not warm up here much during the day so it's not like it starts working when it gets warmer. Sounds like cold temps are making a switch or relay stick to me.

This morning when it did start, I shut it off after 10 seconds and started it again, worked fine. So this is the very first start of the day after a cold night, after that it's fine.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well last three days have been above 0 degrees and it has started everytime I am honestly stumped.

until next year unless i trade this POS in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts