Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Optima known for engine sludge? The dealer seems concerned that There is a risk of engine sludge in this car if I do not get oil changes every 3,000 miles.

Of course, the manual says 7,500 miles and he insinuates my Kia factory warranty will not cover engine sludge.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,568 Posts
No that's just a scare tactic. Oil doesn't magically turn into sludge at 3,001 miles.

I'm curious what the average mileage would be to cause sludge between oil changes, but my guess would be like 45K miles?

·
Registered
18 optima 2018 sxl
11 Posts
No that's just a scare tactic. Oil doesn't magically turn into sludge at 3,001 miles.

I'm curious what the average mileage would be to cause sludge between oil changes, but my guess would be like 45K miles?
The bigger issue is carbon build up on the intake valves. Most engines rely on the detergents in gasoline to clean the intake valves. But our GDI engines do not have gasoline flowing over the intake valves; so carbon can build up from oil that slips down the valve stems and into the intake from the pcv. In theory this can be minimized I'm making sure the oil is as clean as possible. I am inclined towards using synthetic oil instead of excessive oil changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bigger issue is carbon build up on the intake valves. Most engines rely on the detergents in gasoline to clean the intake valves. But our GDI engines do not have gasoline flowing over the intake valves; so carbon can build up from oil that slips down the valve stems and into the intake from the pcv. In theory this can be minimized I'm making sure the oil is as clean as possible. I am inclined towards using synthetic oil instead of excessive oil changes.
[/QUOTE

Yeah, I do full synthetic every 5,000 miles.
I just realized that I can get an oil change at another Kia dealer if I want to hide the fact that I went to jiffy lube.

They claim that could jeopardize my warranty.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The claim of jeopardizing your warranty is yet another scare tactic.

Maybe reconsider your relationship with that dealership. Think of them as more of a parasite than an advocate. They shouldn't be trying to scare you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it!
Thank you. The way these guys were talking they had me scared that Kia is prone to sludge and they may not cover it.

Think it is just a bad dealer. Plus my need for absolutes.
Thank you

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
127 Posts
I wouldn't go over 5K miles on the oil on any turbo engine, especially ours with potential oiling issues, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I also use Mobil1 full synthetic oil (group III, so not a true 100% synthetic), but at 5K mile OCIs, you don't need anything fancier than that. I haven't heard of carbon build-up issues on our cars, but I'm sure they have more than a MP-iinjected engine. I like the system on my new F-150 with the 3.5EB engine, which has both MP and direct injection.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
664 Posts
I used to use M1 but after reading some anecdotal stuff about its synthetic performance I switched to Castrol Edge; I'm currently debating whether I should switch to Castrol Edge 0W-40 (currently use Castrol Edge 5W-30 in the Optima, 0W-40 in my BMW and MB) since that one is supposedly much better synthetic stock compared to most of the other Castrol Edge oil weights (Euro formula, currently manufactured in Belgium) and when on sale can be had for <$21/5 quart jug from Amazon. Optima owner's manual says 5W-40 can be used but it is quite a bit more expensive per quart (on Amazon) compared to 0W-40 for some reason.

If money were no object I'd use Amsoil but considering that there's a small possibility that the engine in my Optima might give up the ghost at some point, I figured it didn't make much sense to spend too much money on a high-quality oil that isn't gonna absolutely prevent my engine from possibly/eventually biting the dust.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
438 Posts

5 QT Edge 5W40 Syn URL above is 1/6/20 price $24.94 + tax-Fees

Pennz Plat 5W40 is the real Expensive Qt price I've seen but since Optimas are 5 Qts, the Edge Jug is perfect and cheap -
I've got Pennz Plat 5W30 Syn in for Winter and will go back to Edge 5W40 Syn in hot months.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
I figured it didn't make much sense to spend too much money on a high-quality oil that isn't gonna absolutely prevent my engine from possibly/eventually biting the dust.
That sums it up.
Hey, it's supposed to function properly on good old Dino oil and all the maintenance isn't going to help the cause if it's destined to go. Save your money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bmz is correct...I'm friends with one of the principals of the BG product which uses a solution pulled into that area that bmz is discussing. My dealership has that system and at 30,000 miles I did it. It wasn't very expensive and if...as my friend advised me, if it keeps my engine going for 10 years (gen 4 2.4) then all is well. One final note...just fyi...sorry if this is not the proper place to discuss...but, at 20,000 miles my transmission went out. They furnished a Forte the whole time I was down...and six weeks later I had a "new" tranny. Well...it's not new it's rebuilt from Korea...and I swear, that after that rebuilt went in...my mileage went down. So...???

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
664 Posts

5 QT Edge 5W40 Syn URL above is 1/6/20 price $24.94 + tax-Fees
Yeah it looks like my local Walmart carries it now (it wasn't available at my local store last year); however, the only thing that would make me hesitate to use that vs. Edge 0W-40 is that from what I can tell the 5W-40 is not Euro Formula so I imagine I wouldn't be gaining much of an advantage protection-wise using Edge 5W-40 over Edge 5W-30 (which too is not Euro Formula).

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,442 Posts
On a turbo model, you should really use 40 oil over a 30, especially in a warmer months or climates. It's been talked about millions of times on the forums here. And the earliest to change your oil is 5k miles. many other members (myself included) have done analysis that shows quality synthetic oil can easily go 7500+ miles before a change is necessary in our cars. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
664 Posts
One thing to note, if using Castrol Edge (i.e., I can't speak for other motor oil brands)--neither their 0W-40 Euro Formula nor their 5W-40 synthetic oils are API SN Plus-rated which is important if you're a stickler for preferring to use an oil formulated for use in TGDI engines like the Optima 2.0T. Castrol Edge 5W-30 is SN Plus--you'll also notice that it'll have "Superior GDI Formula" or similar stamped on the bottle.

I'm not gonna get into any argument about whether it matters if an oil is SN or SN Plus, especially since the owner's manual says that API SM or above can be used but again, if we're talking about oil quality/performance/whatnot, then yes whether you choose to use an SN or SN Plus oil in your 2.0T TGDI engine should matter.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm a fan of using actual rating information to make decisions, because the ratings tell you something specific and factual about the oil.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
438 Posts
Thanks, Tonester, for the heads-up. Seems there are No - 40 SN Plus Oils so I guess this summer will be Pennz Plat Syn 5W30 SN Plus as I have now. Takes me 5-6 mos to go 4000 mi & an Oil Chg so I'm hoping that mileage will be a good trade-off with -30 SN Plus instead of the Edge -40, which I'd prefer.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
Why not just use Walmart Super Tech 5w-30 fully synthetic, SN Plus, Dexos1 Gen 2 approved, and only $15 5 quart jug?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
81 Posts
Costco sells their store brand as well. Same distributor as Walmart. Warren distro. They have a sale right now. 12.50 per 5qt delivered. That’s usually the normal price in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
Costco sells their store brand as well. Same distributor as Walmart. Warren distro. They have a sale right now. 12.50 per 5qt delivered. That’s usually the normal price in store.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, actually the same specs, and looks like the same price as online Cosco 2-5 qt jugs $29.99.
I also use Sam's Prime 5w-30 synblend $1.79 qt. It's not full synthetic and not Dexos approved, but SN and no problems in any of the cars. Only problem it comes in qt containers and makes a problem for oil disposal.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
664 Posts
Costco, Walmart, Castrol, Mobil 1, Pennzoil--when it comes to synthetic oils offered by these brands it eventually all comes down to what additional (if any) detergent/cleaning/whatnot additives are included in the formulation. Sorta like gasoline--pretty much all unleaded gasoline contain some amount of cleaning agents meant to help prevent deposits on your valves and whatever, but the type and amount of cleaning agents is what distiguishes Top Tier gas like Shell from non-Top Tier gas like those offered by Sam's Club or some lesser-name gas brand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts