Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would just like to echo what the OP is feeling about their headlights, they seriously suck. I have a 2020 Optima (which I believe are the same as the 19's) and even after swapping mine to LEDs, it still does not have the viewing distance that I would like at night. The projectors blow in the 4th gen Optimas, it is no wonder KIA finally decided to put stock LEDs in the new K5s, I just wish they did it one generation sooner!

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL 2nd engine @ 121k
177 Posts
Have you tried adjusting them vertically? Mine sucked too, HIDs, didn't think they were adjustable, they were. Use a phillips, right turn raises them. Luck.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,073 Posts
I would just like to echo what the OP is feeling about their headlights, they seriously suck. I have a 2020 Optima (which I believe are the same as the 19's) and even after swapping mine to LEDs, it still does not have the viewing distance that I would like at night. The projectors blow in the 4th gen Optimas, it is no wonder KIA finally decided to put stock LEDs in the new K5s, I just wish they did it one generation sooner!
The OP has HID headlights, where you have halogen factory headlights, they are completely different, & all Optima models equipped with halogen headlights have poor lighting unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The headlamps on my 2019 Optima are dangerous. On heads , there is a large dark shadow of approximately 20 meters in depth accross the road which makes driving at night extremely dangerous. The main dealer technicians recommend the headlamps be renewed. . KIA does accept there is a problem but refuse to resolve the problem. The Vehicle is still under warranty. The vehicle is not designed for night drivingI Any suggestions on how this dangerous issue can be resolved ?
I got a 2014 Optima, and my LED fog lights were better than the low beams. So I watched a few videos and gutted then retrofitted 2.5" Bi-xenon Projector lenses (Morimoto style), then added a HID conversion kit. That plus a universal harness cost me $90, instead of buying a new light assembly pair $450.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 hid low beams are horrible. Always have been. When I used to Uber, several passengers asked me if my headlights were on while driving at night. Driving in the rain at night is the worst. I try to avoid it at all costs. The high beams work great though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2011 hid low beams are horrible. ..
Even after adjusting the vertical height of each housing?

I just got a hold of my '13 SXL (w/HIDs too) and they sucked royally compared to all my other vehicles. I thought HIDs had no adjustment, wrong, they do and what a Difference. Luck.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
548 Posts
Even after adjusting the vertical height of each housing?

I just got a hold of my '13 SXL (w/HIDs too) and they sucked royally compared to all my other vehicles. I thought HIDs had no adjustment, wrong, they do and what a Difference. Luck.
HM, do the '13 SXL's have the Auto-Level/Dynamic Bending Hdlight motors? Thought my '16's adjustment with Those was Software but would be great IF screw-driver friendly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes - I assumed a '13 with auto level headlight motors would have No manual adjustment, I was wrong.

Like most headlight assembly's they have an adjusting screw. Right turn raises them. Nothing needs to be removed/moved to access the adjusting screws, you can see them directly from up top on each side.

·
Registered
2018 Optima 2018 Optima EX
58 Posts
My 2011 hid low beams are horrible. Always have been. When I used to Uber, several passengers asked me if my headlights were on while driving at night. Driving in the rain at night is the worst. I try to avoid it at all costs. The high beams work great though.
I had read somewhere (maybe here on this forum) that some older Kia models with factory HID's had defective reflector housings and the inner reflective material deteriorated and made them useless.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts