Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlamps on my 2019 Optima are dangerous. On heads , there is a large dark shadow of approximately 20 meters in depth accross the road which makes driving at night extremely dangerous. The main dealer technicians recommend the headlamps be renewed. . KIA does accept there is a problem but refuse to resolve the problem. The Vehicle is still under warranty. The vehicle is not designed for night drivingI Any suggestions on how this dangerous issue can be resolved ?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
548 Posts
You mean a Black Veil like this?
I have 50% less of this veil with OSRAM 66340CBB HID's I'm using now but I still get some.
No guaranteed total fix that I know of.

NIGHT WINDSHIELD VEIL.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,997 Posts
Check if your year car is subject to the TSB where the headlight reflectors degrade, and the reflective coating peels off.

When the reflector part peels off, the light won't be reflected forward properly.

Look closely at your headlights. Is there silver dust or small particles inside the headlight housing?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,079 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Michael O

What model of Optima is your 2019? Do you have halogen bulbs or HIDs from the factory?

We do have alternative options for both, but I assume you have halogen lighting and are having this issue.

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction for an aftermarket alternative that may help.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
29,079 Posts
Check if your year car is subject to the TSB where the headlight reflectors degrade, and the reflective coating peels off.

When the reflector part peels off, the light won't be reflected forward properly.

Look closely at your headlights. Is there silver dust or small particles inside the headlight housing?
This only applies to the 2011-2013 Optima models, and I believe those with HID headlights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean a Black Veil like this?
I have 50% less of this veil with OSRAM 66340CBB HID's I'm using now but I still get some.
No guaranteed total fix that I know of.

View attachment 249525
It's even worst. The veil is a good description to my problem. When the heads are switched on the dark shadow or veil appears for at least 20 meters. The technicians have readjusted the lamps in an effort to reduce the shadow. However, this adjustment directed the light beam to the tree tops and outside the legal specifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the reflectors are ok. No peeling etc.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL 2nd engine @ 121k
178 Posts
That 'black veil' seems standard, my '13s HIDs do the same thing, throw great amounts of light just in front of bumper to about the point in the pic above, then black.

I own 4 other vehicles (BMW, Toyotas), some with HID, others with LED, they all shine way, way further down the road compared to the Kia.

I avoid driving the Kia at night, got 4 other better choices!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Michael O

What model of Optima is your 2019? Do you have halogen bulbs or HIDs from the factory?

We do have alternative options for both, but I assume you have halogen lighting and are having this issue.

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction for an aftermarket alternative that may help.

-David
K5 Optima Store
Thanks David. The Dips are HID and the heads are halogen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That 'black veil' seems standard, my '13s HIDs do the same thing, throw great amounts of light just in front of bumper to about the point in the pic above, then black.

I own 4 other vehicles (BMW, Toyotas), some with HID, others with LED, they all shine way, way further down the road compared to the Kia.

I avoid driving the Kia at night, got 4 other better choices!
Same here. I avoid driving at night with my 2019 Optima. It's crazy to think that the vehicle is designed for day driving only

·
Registered
178 Posts
Came across this today, says in 2020 the IIHS rated headlights on Optimas as "Poor".

Can you imagine how they rated them (the last time they did) in 2016?

Luckily accident ratings are better than the headlight ratings for the Optima.

Article mentions the obvious, half of all deadly accidents occur at night, so we know what not to drive then.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
25 Posts
The headlights on my 2019 are pretty good. The Optima does have projector beams so there is a sharp cutoff between light and dark

·
Registered
178 Posts
The headlights on my 2019 are pretty good. The Optima does have projector beams so there is a sharp cutoff between light and dark
They are improved, but previous years (like my '13) can have projectors with HID (just like my BMW, not!) and the cutoff is nice and sharp Except the broadcast is not very far forward, extremely bright in first 25 yards, then drops off to complete black.

Imagine driving on an unlit road you are not familiar with at night, it is very uncomfortable and unsettling. Luckily i have several other vehicles to choose from for night driving. Even my old 2001 4runner has outstanding lighting compared to the Kia, for shame!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Might want to check the aim, perhaps the headlights are pointing downward too much, reducing their reach?

The hard cutoff is intentional, so that the lights don't blind oncoming drivers because the upper part is nice and dark. But if you are aiming too low, that will reduce your range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The technicians lowered the beam to reduce the shawdow but the dip beam had a distance of 7 meters which was extremely dangerous. At 7 meters, pedestrians were not visible.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Might want to check the aim, perhaps the headlights are pointing downward too much, reducing their reach?
For my '13, that is the solution. SIlly me did not think the HIDs had a vertical adjustment, they do. Pretty easy to access, nothing has to be moved/removed. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The technicians lowered the beam to reduce the shawdow but the dip beam had a distance of 7 meters which was extremely dangerous. At 7 meters, pedestrians were not visible.
I don't understand - you can choose to raise or lower the aim of the headlight beams, they should be adjustable.

Raise the aim if you can't see far, so you can then see farther down the road as the lights will reach farther.
Lower the aim if you are blinding oncoming traffic, so your lights don't mistakenly seem like high-beams if they are aimed too high.

You can choose whether to raise or lower the aim.

it sounds like you don't like "the shadow" but I don't understand what that is, or why you'd prefer to have shorter reach to avoid "the shadow"?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts