Kia Optima Forums banner

Optima Broken Into

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rpoffen 
#1 ·
I realize this might not be a KIA specific question but when I purchased my 2013 Optima it for some reason came with 4 separate key fobs from the dealership. Fast forward to now, my car was recently broken into. Even if I have the keyless entry switched out isn't there a way for thieves to have a general key fob code to access cars? If so, any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Broken into physically (e.g busted window)? Or opened using the lock mechanism?

Yes, sophisticated thieves could hang around physically nearby waiting for you to use your fob, scan the airwaives with a very special tool, catch the code, store it and re-use. But would they really for a Kia?

The same process can be done with any auto using fobs, if I were a thief I'd go for something a little more in demand and valuable.

If you want more peace of mind, I'd install a steering wheel lock, those can be Seen from the outside, most will give up and move onto an easier target.

Just one example: Amazon.com: Levenli Universal Security Anti Theft Heavy Duty Car SUVs Rotary Steering Wheel Lock: Automotive

Ah, now you can sleep! Luck.

#3 ·
Or opened using the lock mechanism?
Yes, I meant to clarify. Thankfully the windows were not broken so the doors must have been opened using some type of lock mechanism.

Yes, sophisticated thieves could hang around physically nearby waiting for you to use your fob, scan the airwaives with a very special tool, catch the code, store it and re-use. The same process can be done with any auto using fobs, if I were a thief I'd go for something a little more in demand and valuable.
Just for context I didn't use my key fob while this happened. But my Optima must have been the token car if a scanner had been used because it was the ONLY one in the apartment complex that was opened.

The same process can be done with any auto using fobs, if I were a thief I'd go for something a little more in demand and valuable. But would they really for a Kia?
They would for mine :D

If you want more peace of mind, I'd install a steering wheel lock, those can be Seen from the outside, most will give up and move onto an easier target. Just one example: Amazon.com: Levenli Universal Security Anti Theft Heavy Duty Car SUVs Rotary Steering Wheel Lock: Automotive. Ah, now you can sleep! Luck.
Thanks HighMiles!

#4 ·
I realize this might not be a KIA specific question but when I purchased my 2013 Optima it for some reason came with 4 separate key fobs from the dealership. Fast forward to now, my car was recently broken into. Even if I have the keyless entry switched out isn't there a way for thieves to have a general key fob code to access cars? If so, any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!
I recently bought a 2017 Kia Optima so have been looking around around on YouTube for info on it. Found a high rate of car thefts of Kias. Thieves using spectrum grabbers that grab your fobs RF signature then can store it and use it to both open the door and steal the car. Kia is using a very simple rf signature in there fob very easy to emulate.
in fact the fob is always outputing so they can stand by your front door and grab its rf signature While it’s inside your house.
They sell RF bags to store your key in when not using it and A Steering wheel lock is a very good idea.
I use a steering wheel lock on mine And purchased a 2 pack rf bag for my fob.
Only thing more prevalent than rf theft is catalytic theft. That’s outright out of control. I also own A Prius and that style cat is getting hit hard. I sold the cat off my Prius for $1500 on ebay And bought a cheap cat off Amazon for $100 Florida is not a carb state. California is real bad. London too.
Go on YouTube and search: PRIUS STOLEN

#5 ·
I recently bought a 2017 Kia Optima so have been looking around around on YouTube for info on it. Found a high rate of car thefts of Kias. Thieves using spectrum grabbers that grab your fobs RF signature then can store it and use it to both open the door and steal the car. Kia is using a very simple rf signature in there fob very easy to emulate.
in fact the fob is always outputing so they can stand by your front door and grab its rf signature While it’s inside your house.
They sell RF bags to store your key in when not using it and A Steering wheel lock is a very good idea.
I use a steering wheel lock on mine And purchased a 2 pack rf bag for my fob.
Only thing more prevalent than rf theft is catalytic theft. That’s outright out of control. I also own A Prius and that style cat is getting hit hard. I sold the cat off my Prius for $1500 on ebay And bought a cheap cat off Amazon for $100 Florida is not a carb state. California is real bad. London too.
Go on YouTube and search: PRIUS STOLEN
Thanks for the info Raybo! I really appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.