Kia Optima Forums banner

Optima 2013 won't start - Clicks and Immobilizer Light

16K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tonester 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I went last Wednesday to the Kia dealership to have my ECU updated on my Optima 2013.
This evening when I try to go out for a drive. It won't start.

I press the Push to Start Button, but all I see are the lights turning on and off, and I hear repetitive "Clicks". I also see that my Push-to-Start button sometimes turns Yellow, and the immobilizer light turns on.
I've never had this issue... ever.

I tried all of the following so far:

Hold the button for 15 seconds (this attempts to start the car without the need for the brake pedal).
I unplugged the Battery for 20 minutes to try and hard-reset the Anti-theft system.

I just had the ECU Updated. This can't be a coincidence right? Anyone else experienced this before here? How did you solve it?

#4 ·
Have it tested first, but yes, a dead battery can rear it's ugly head out of nowhere with no prior problems.

Amazing how items appear after have the upgrade, but guess it's just coincidental.
When I had the update performed, within a mile after leaving the dealership the transmission gives an abnormal shift, never a problem before. Checked it the next couple of days and needed to replace the ATF temp sensor, problem solved. Know the sensor is a known problem, but after the update??????????????? Still not convinced it was just a coincidence, but I actually have no proof that the update would, or could even cause the malfunction.

#11 ·
I bought a die-hard that only lasted 3 years and 3 months. Ridiculous.
LOL I know the feeling exactly--I've had two DieHard Golds that went bad prematurely, one before even 3 years had passed (thus I was able to get full replacement), the other shortly after 3 years had passed (thus pro-rated replacement)...and oh BTW this luckily happened to me *before* Sears changed their DieHard Gold battery warranty and removed the prorated feature of the warranty. Currently running a Duralast in my SUV--hopefully it'll hold up much better than DieEasy (I mean DieHard).

#8 ·
So it did turn out to be the battery.
I got the Walmart Brand as well cause I heard some good things online about them, and they had the 124R size in stock as well! It's got the 5 years Warranty (3 free replacement, 2 Pro-Rated).

Plugged it in, and she started right up!

Hopefully this one lasts longer than the Kia OEM one that had I had previously (barely lasted 3 years)

Thanks for the help y'all :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.