Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I went last Wednesday to the Kia dealership to have my ECU updated on my Optima 2013.
This evening when I try to go out for a drive. It won't start.

I press the Push to Start Button, but all I see are the lights turning on and off, and I hear repetitive "Clicks". I also see that my Push-to-Start button sometimes turns Yellow, and the immobilizer light turns on.
I've never had this issue... ever.

I tried all of the following so far:

Hold the button for 15 seconds (this attempts to start the car without the need for the brake pedal).
I unplugged the Battery for 20 minutes to try and hard-reset the Anti-theft system.

I just had the ECU Updated. This can't be a coincidence right? Anyone else experienced this before here? How did you solve it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of nowhere?
I would have expected that a dying battery would show some signs before completely making the car unsuable?

If that's the case I'll go get a new one tomorrow :cry:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Have it tested first, but yes, a dead battery can rear it's ugly head out of nowhere with no prior problems.

Amazing how items appear after have the upgrade, but guess it's just coincidental.
When I had the update performed, within a mile after leaving the dealership the transmission gives an abnormal shift, never a problem before. Checked it the next couple of days and needed to replace the ATF temp sensor, problem solved. Know the sensor is a known problem, but after the update??????????????? Still not convinced it was just a coincidence, but I actually have no proof that the update would, or could even cause the malfunction.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No symptoms when mine died. If you have an SX, you probably need an AGM battery, which is about $200 at most auto parts stores. About $160 at Walmart.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a die-hard that only lasted 3 years and 3 months. Ridiculous. So I tried a 5 year warranty Walmart brand this time to see if I have more luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it did turn out to be the battery.
I got the Walmart Brand as well cause I heard some good things online about them, and they had the 124R size in stock as well! It's got the 5 years Warranty (3 free replacement, 2 Pro-Rated).

Plugged it in, and she started right up!

Hopefully this one lasts longer than the Kia OEM one that had I had previously (barely lasted 3 years)

Thanks for the help y'all :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah my oem battery only lasted 2.5 years and the replacement diehard 3.5 years! Hopefully the Walmart battery lasts longer but the Kia does take a small pretty lame battery size.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I bought a die-hard that only lasted 3 years and 3 months. Ridiculous.
LOL I know the feeling exactly--I've had two DieHard Golds that went bad prematurely, one before even 3 years had passed (thus I was able to get full replacement), the other shortly after 3 years had passed (thus pro-rated replacement)...and oh BTW this luckily happened to me *before* Sears changed their DieHard Gold battery warranty and removed the prorated feature of the warranty. Currently running a Duralast in my SUV--hopefully it'll hold up much better than DieEasy (I mean DieHard).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
tonester
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing