Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s Kia Optima is great but the front suspension takes every bump in front really hard. It seems like there is hardly any cushion and always a loud bang on bumps. There is over 100k but we had the front end done by dealer 4 years ago? Is there an upgrade? Better struts? High performance add-on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My wife’s Kia Optima is great but the front suspension takes every bump in front really hard. It seems like there is hardly any cushion and always a loud bang on bumps. There is over 100k but we had the front end done by dealer 4 years ago? Is there an upgrade? Better struts? High performance add-on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been reading on here about coilovers and not sure this will make the front handle bumps better. Any thoughts? Is installation the same as the original struts?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,217 Posts
Normally coilovers increase the harshness of ride quality, but I agree, the Optima '11 2.0T has a rock hard suspension and one would believe it might soften up over the years, but with >200,000 miles it's still the same, even with soft T rated tires.
Can't see how C/O's could make it any worse, but don't know whether the cost would justify the test.
Installation the same, but some come with adjustible ride height as well as adjustible front end geometry,
camber plates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate that. May stay away from coilovers then. What would be the best quality strut?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,217 Posts
Appreciate that. May stay away from coilovers then. What would be the best quality strut?
Must say, I'm not familiar with any of the aftermarket strut/shocks assemblies, e.g. Rock Auto has FCS, KYB, Monroe, but not certain
how any would work with the factory coils, and don't know the factory coil rates. Guess hit & miss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts