Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2011 Optima EX Made in Korea Build 10/10.

The power steering (EPS) is not working properly, the steering does not return when completed the turn, when driving is very hard,
I took to the KIA dealer and after a week of testing they don't have a clue of what is wrong.

Steering column and/or rack and Pinion...!!!

I was able to find a used steering column for a 2013 EX (USA BUILD) Part: 563002t321
But my car should be using the 563002t320 for Korea build model

Do you know what is the difference or if the XXX321 will work on the 2011 Korea build car...

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,693 Posts
Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Does the power steering fail to activate, so you have to use a lot of strength to turn the wheel by yourself?

I can't tell what you mean so far. It seems like you are saying the power steering is not returning the steering after you complete a turn. Do you mean the wheel is stuck in a turned position, so you can't go straight?

What if you turn the steering wheel when the car is turned off. Is there a problem when you do that test?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,529 Posts
If a different part number, something is different and what it might be???
Not only the column, but the steering shaft also has a different part number between the years. The cross reference for used parts indicate that after 4/19/11 production '11-'13 same, but before 4/19/11 different, but the R&P all the same '11-'15, built from 9/17/10.

Before jumping into a column replacement, I'd make certain the car is aligned properly, so if the tires are showing no unusual tread wear, you'd be fine, and only toe is adjustable w/o using camber bolts.
I'd check the front end components, ball joints, tie rod ends etc, and if need be, remove the steering shaft from the R&P and then test both, manually moving the wheels back and forth for any tightness, the column likewise.

When out today was thinking about the problem, maybe check the column U joints as occasionally they become dry and bind when turning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts