Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 optima optima
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is quite a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust of my 3 month old optima 18. Happens in any weather. Had it side by side with my Toyota Rav4 and the rav had no smoke. Should I be concerned? Don't want to fail an emissions test down the road.

Re-posting as I can not find original post and replies (nothing comes up in search or my recent activity).

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
273 Posts
There is quite a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust of my 3 month old optima 18. Happens in any weather. Had it side by side with my Toyota Rav4 and the rav had no smoke. Should I be concerned? Don't want to fail an emissions test down the road.

Re-posting as I can not find original post and replies (nothing comes up in search or my recent activity).
What engine is this? Turbo or 2.4L?
Does the "smoke" go away after a while?
Does it happen immediately after the start up?
How long does the "smoke" stay in the air?
What's it smell like?
Other than black soot, any other residue on your tailpipe/bumper?
Coolant level OK?

My '16 appears to have a blown turbo sitting in traffic on cold mornings. The amount of condensation is beyond anything I have every seen. My wife has called me before (we leave at the same time) and asked if it's normal. These exhaust systems seem to just turn into condensation buckets sitting overnight. These cars have an obscene amount of blow by, into the intake tract, and exhaust system. After roughly a week of normal driving I can blow quite a bit of carbon out of the exhaust.

I know it's a lot of questions, but those will help us determine if you need to take your car into the dealership.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima SX
108 Posts
What engine is this? Turbo or 2.4L?
Does the "smoke" go away after a while?
Does it happen immediately after the start up?
How long does the "smoke" stay in the air?
What's it smell like?
Other than black soot, any other residue on your tailpipe/bumper?
Coolant level OK?

My '16 appears to have a blown turbo sitting in traffic on cold mornings. The amount of condensation is beyond anything I have every seen. My wife has called me before (we leave at the same time) and asked if it's normal. These exhaust systems seem to just turn into condensation buckets sitting overnight. These cars have an obscene amount of blow by, into the intake tract, and exhaust system. After roughly a week of normal driving I can blow quite a bit of carbon out of the exhaust.

I know it's a lot of questions, but those will help us determine if you need to take your car into the dealership.
What about using evo eservices? doesn't that usually show some kind of diagnosis.

Also, gray smoke I believe indicates bad turbocharger. Personally, that's why I always put premium in mine even though they say 87 octane is fine, I always put 91 (highest you can get in CA).

·
Registered
2018 optima optima
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS, ANSWERS BELOW
What engine is this? Turbo or 2.4L? 2.4
Does the "smoke" go away after a while? SOMETIMES YES, SOMETIMES NO
Does it happen immediately after the start up? YES
How long does the "smoke" stay in the air? A FEW SECONDS
What's it smell like? NOTHING STRONG, I REALLY CAN'T PLACE IT, A LITTLE LIKE OIL MAYBE
Other than black soot, any other residue on your tailpipe/bumper? NO
Coolant level OK? YES

·
Registered
Optima ex
11 Posts
What have you found out I have an 18 optima 2.4 and I have white smoke on cold start as well and car only has 150 miles just bought it

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
977 Posts
Well dang my brand new 2018 Optima SXL 2.0T with 60 miles on the clock blows white smoke on a cold start, but in the interest of full disclosure it has been pretty chilly out here these past few days with early morning temps in the low 30s and reaching no higher than high 50s the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima ex
60 Posts
My 2013 ex did that a lot. My 2018 does it a little. Been told it’s from direct injection which does put some fuel in oil. Never hurt my 13. Think it’s prety normal on that engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I just bought second hand optima 2012, getting a white smoke from tailpipe when i started it up and its smell like gasoline. After some time when engine goes to its right temperature then tailpipe smells normal.

during roughly idling, tailpipe again exhaust white smoke.
I am worried i might bought broken car. Please help

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2013 ex did that a lot. My 2018 does it a little. Been told it’s from direct injection which does put some fuel in oil. Never hurt my 13. Think it’s prety normal on that engine.
No it is not , you need a fuel injection system cleaning from the carbon builds up, I had the same problem with my 2012 optima ex... Got it serviced no more white smoke.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,538 Posts
Don't spend the money on the FI cleaning, waste of time as the system is in open loop when cold, runs rich,, smells of gas, and as far as smoke, I know out 2.0T emits vapors that can be seen while other vehicles around do not. Did it with the old engine and also with the new engine.
Same with gas, waste of money using anything but regular and don't dump money on early oil changes as it won't save the engine if it's destined to go.

No check engine light? If no, good to go.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
977 Posts
No it is not , you need a fuel injection system cleaning from the carbon builds up, I had the same problem with my 2012 optima ex... Got it serviced no more white smoke.
You do realize that the person you quoted made that comment back in February 2018 and it was about his 2018 Optima--so are you insinuating that his/her engine accumulated enough carbon build-up in less than a year for the car to be spewing white smoke so soon? In all fairness though--for all I know your reply may have been directed towards his 2013 Optima...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My reply was for his 2013 optima!
And From my own experience the FI cleaning did work for my optima and the gas change help a whole lot.. runs better and smoother and I get better miles...

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi julee what u suggest in my case please help. quote #10

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi julee what u suggest in my case please help. quote #10
quote #14. helped with my optima.
Do you have any lights on?
Is it both tail pipes with smoke?
What color is the smoke?
Does it stop after driving or running for awhi

·
Registered