Kia Optima Forums banner

Openning the Trunk when Battey is Dead?

81K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Tikeela 
#1 ·
This morning when I went to leave for work I discovered that my battery was dead. No crank, no interior lights. Not entirely sure why I had a dead battery, but that's an entirely different question.

Needing to give my car a jump start, I realized that my jumper cables are in my trunk... Which wasn't going to open no matter which button I pushed (driver door, trunk latch, key fob).

I was eventually able to get to some jumper cables from my neighbor to jump start my Optima with my wife's Rio (on a interesting side note, it took three tries with Rio revved up to jump start the Optima with the Rio struggling to stay running each time, let hope that's not indicative of something major going wrong.)

So, does anyone know of it is possible to pop the trunk when the battery is dead? Is there a manual latch somewhere that I overlooked?

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I just confirmed the emergency trunk release hatch and cable. It's tough to spot though. Mine is partially covered by the seat itself. It was pretty hard to get it open and I struggled to find the cable in the hole to pull. There is barely enough space to get one finger in there to feel around for it.

G4z808, keep feeling around in there, you'll find something to pull eventually.

Here is pic of mine from the top down.

Vehicle Car

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I just confirmed the emergency trunk release hatch and cable. It's tough to spot though. Mine is partially covered by the seat itself. It was pretty hard to get it open and I struggled to find the cable in the hole to pull. There is barely enough space to get one finger in there to feel around for it.

G4z808, keep feeling around in there, you'll find something to pull eventually.

Here is pic of mine from the top down.

View attachment 15813
Its hard to pull down
I cant do it. Im locked out my trunk n battery went dead over night

#7 ·
Interesting.... learned something new today

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.