Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forte Kia Forte SX Sedan
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have known there'd be a 2A section here.

Here's my current collection that was sadly lost in a terrible boating accident:

A couple years back after my best friend and I went shooting:

my handguns:

Some of the things I have had:

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
You guys are all deranged .Why would you need so many killing machines for .
Just because you don't share the same hobby we do doesn't make us "deranged". You're not worse then the old bags running this country that try and impose insane and unfair gun laws just because they don't understand the want or need for guns either.

Well guess what - you don't have to understand it, you don't have to like it. This is America, and we're free to own our guns and enjoy the **** out of them. Owning a gun doesn't make you a homicidal killing machine, or a "deranged" psychopath, any more than owning a car makes you a reckless driver or a habitual speeder. You make your own choices, not the gun.

·
2014 ROTY
2013 Kia Optima
2,573 Posts
Just because you don't share the same hobby we do doesn't make us "deranged". You're not worse then the old bags running this country that try and impose insane and unfair gun laws just because they don't understand the want or need for guns either.

Well guess what - you don't have to understand it, you don't have to like it. This is America, and we're free to own our guns and enjoy the **** out of them. Owning a gun doesn't make you a homicidal killing machine, or a "deranged" psychopath, any more than owning a car makes you a reckless driver or a habitual speeder. You make your own choices, not the gun.

:bestpost:

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,895 Posts
You guys are all deranged .Why would you need so many killing machines for .

Calm down Munky. Funnyman is in Canada, and likely doesn't realize just how bad things have gotten in the U.S., and how much worse they are likely to get over the coming years, from a political, social, and economic standpoint. There's going to be a lot of people pushed to the edge of survival in the next decade or two, and with no where to turn due to failed political philosophies. Places like Canada, and countries I've been for work, truly still think the U.S. is a rosy Utopian land of money and unicorns.

On a related note though, where do you guys typically buy your equipment? Gun shows? Stores? Black market/underground?

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Places like Canada, and countries I've been for work, truly still think the U.S. is a rosy Utopian land of money and unicorns.

I'm a huge fan of gun auctions, you can get some great deals. I got my Walther PPK/S for just over $400 at an auction.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
681 Posts
We ignorant Canadians don't think its Utopia south of our border. We KNOW different. We KNOW you guys have the highest murder rate of any developed nation ten fold. We KNOW that owning a gun should not be a right. Healthcare should.
Blah blah blah... people kill people... right? The numbers do not support ANY argument in favor of automatic gun possession PERIOD.
The only reason I even have an opinion on this nonsense is the fact that 90% of the guns we now have on our streets are smuggled in from the US. Otherwise we couldn't care less what goes on down there.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,895 Posts
We ignorant Canadians don't think its Utopia south of our border. We KNOW different. We KNOW you guys have the highest murder rate of any developed nation ten fold. We KNOW that owning a gun should not be a right. Healthcare should.
Blah blah blah... people kill people... right? The numbers do not support ANY argument in favor of automatic gun possession PERIOD.
The only reason I even have an opinion on this nonsense is the fact that 90% of the guns we now have on our streets are smuggled in from the US. Otherwise we couldn't care less what goes on down there.
My first post had quite a bit of sarcasm, please realize that.

Canada, and many other nations that have extremely low gun ownership, have incredible social safety net programs. We, however, have been slowly (but surely) diminishing ours or politicizing them so badly that a new idea never gets off the ground. Folks to our north don't ever have to worry about losing every asset they own to a broken healthcare system due to an unfortunate illness or accident. People in the U.S. are terrified of its government, as they rightly should, because it's completely broken and simply doesn't benefit, or work for, the majority of its citizens any longer. Decades of failed policy and outsourcing have made a large segment of the population destitute, and those who watched the actions of the police in Boston ripping people and families from their homes surely understand the reason for a right to bear arms. People don't own guns like in the pictures above because they "hunt"; they own them likely for two reasons: (1) they understand the social/political/economic situation and the slowly evolving police state, and/or (2) they take very seriously the right to protect their person, property, and family. One is protecting yourself from an oppressive gov't, the other is to protect you from crazies. We have an abusive and out-of-control law enforcement mechanism, a broken judicial system, and a for-profit prison enterprise. I, for one, while not even owning a gun of my own, fully support the right for Americans to own guns.

You do have me curious about that 90% smuggle fact though. Where can I find that?

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,439 Posts
Nice collection guys. Hey Bob, what can you tell me about the handgun you recently picked up with the holes drilled in the trigger? I like!

BTW Munky, owning a car HAS made me a habitual speeder. :rofl:

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
681 Posts
I appreciate the clarification chrisingrassia.

I agree that the government of almost every nation in the world (including mine) is being run by corporations rather than the constituents.
I do appreciate your reasoning for gun ownership I just don't agree with it. Something must change but I don't believe assault rifles in private citizens hands are going to get it done.

Fully automatic weapons are banned outright up here but they are being used by criminals all the time. The only way to get a fully automatic weapon in this country is to smuggle it in OR you had to own it prior to 1978 (highly unlikely). Many semi-auto guns up here are illegal to own as well.
To obtain a semi-auto gun up here you must have a license (incl. full criminal background check) AND take a 10 hour course. The process takes a couple weeks typically.
Also, only people with a job that requires it can carry a weapon in public. NOONE else is allowed under any circumstances.

With the 68 million gun applications made in 2012 alone in the U.S. multiplied by a minimum $5 fee for said license the citizens could take that $340 million and make real change in Washington.
Money is the only real way to make change in government nowadays it seems.

·
Registered
288 Posts
...Fully automatic weapons are banned outright up here but they are being used by criminals all the time...
... Also, only people with a job that requires it can carry a weapon in public. NOONE else is allowed under any circumstances...
It is more likely that criminals will figure out that Canadians are ripe for the picking, than that the USA will change direction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Calm down Munky. Funnyman is in Canada, and likely doesn't realize just how bad things have gotten in the U.S., and how much worse they are likely to get over the coming years, from a political, social, and economic standpoint. There's going to be a lot of people pushed to the edge of survival in the next decade or two, and with no where to turn due to failed political philosophies. Places like Canada, and countries I've been for work, truly still think the U.S. is a rosy Utopian land of money and unicorns.

On a related note though, where do you guys typically buy your equipment? Gun shows? Stores? Black market/underground?
No Funnyman (who has yet to live up to his name BTW) likes to interject ignorant "oh I'm not familiar with America" comments about every six months in these various threads in this forum. Black market huh...you ATF? Seriously (sarcasm or not), do you think so little of the average free US citizen (I see CA in your user profile) or those who like firearms to be law breakers in general? While the black market is very present I doubt fellow members on this forum would participate in such thing and IF they do, post it on a public sub-forum entitled The 2nd Amendment for future litigation via the ATF to serve a warrant based off probable cause and sheer stupidity.

Please get educated on what you are spewing. There is a difference between a "[fully] automatic gun" and a semi-auto gun on many levels beyond just function. Fully automatic weapons are highly controlled and have been documented in crimes a minute fraction (basically none by comparison) of the time...none of which were legally possessed. The last most recognizable crime being the 1997 North Hollywood shootout bank robbery. Not to mention it occurred in one of the most restrictive gun ownership(to it's citizens) state of the union. They were also illegally converted/obtained. Also keep in mind when talking gun deaths as homicides it is an absolute. So a person killed breaking into a pregnant woman's apartment possibly looking to rob or rape, when killed with a gun in a manner of legal self defense, gets classified by the coroner as a homicide as a result of gunshot wound(s). There is not a sub box to identify it was in a legal and justified self defense. Same when a cop kills a guy holding a knife to hostages throat or other similar situation. But it is all "gun violence" and "firearms related murders" when talking out one's a$$ for something they do not like or understand and lumping all these "homicides" into one talking point.

Yet when someone is killed by a drunk driver, it's clarified as so. When someone is killed in a hit and run, it's talked about in the paper as so every time. But no where does the news rage with headlines of "automobile violence" plagues the US. There were 33,561 souls removed from the earth in 2012 as a result of car related fatalities in the US, if you want to spout numbers. FARS Encyclopedia

Self protection is a right, operating a vehicle on public roadways is a privilege. So why is it that with automobile related violence (death) we focus on the source, as we should, like preventing DUI and distracting driving and not blame Honda or Chevy? Yet when a firearm is mentioned it is the gun who gets the focus and not the race on race crime (Chicago aka Chi-raq) at the center of its use, or drug use driving the greed or ignorance to make poor decisions against others in society?

As far as how many guns come from the US, it's up to 70%, not 90. Even at that, in the end its a business, and coming in via the North via the Hudson from another foreign country doesn't make any financial sense no matter what your are shipping. If we swapped locations on the continent then the great Canada would have all its weapons coming from Mexico and similar burdens on it's infrastructure due to illegal immigration and illegal trafficking of goods and weapons.

Crossfire: The battle over gun control in America - Canada - CBC News

The fifth estate’s investigation revealed guns from some of those rule-breaking dealers find their way into Canada along a smuggling route known as the Iron Pipeline or the Blue Steel Highway. It’s estimated up to 70 per cent of guns recovered at Toronto crime scenes alone come from the U.S., Toronto police Chief Bill Blair has said.

I appreciate the clarification chrisingrassia.

I agree that the government of almost every nation in the world (including mine) is being run by corporations rather than the constituents.
I do appreciate your reasoning for gun ownership I just don't agree with it. Something must change but I don't believe assault rifles in private citizens hands are going to get it done.

Fully automatic weapons are banned outright up here but they are being used by criminals all the time. The only way to get a fully automatic weapon in this country is to smuggle it in OR you had to own it prior to 1978 (highly unlikely). Many semi-auto guns up here are illegal to own as well.
To obtain a semi-auto gun up here you must have a license (incl. full criminal background check) AND take a 10 hour course. The process takes a couple weeks typically.
Also, only people with a job that requires it can carry a weapon in public. NOONE else is allowed under any circumstances.

With the 68 million gun applications made in 2012 alone in the U.S. multiplied by a minimum $5 fee for said license the citizens could take that $340 million and make real change in Washington.
Money is the only real way to make change in government nowadays it seems.
The participants of such finical contributions for gun rights (among others) to influence positive change that are associated with the NRA and other similar groups, are proclaimed as terrorists by the ignorant and close minded masses. So tell me again how there can be a change to better our government that would improve cultural and political environment that would further decrease crime and the use of weapons being needed for self-defense....or fun? Believe it or not, shooting can be fun. There are no less than a half dozen indoor shooting ranges that live off of tourists alone from anti-gun ownership countries in Vegas alone who come to experience shooting a firearm of various degrees.

Speaking of "assault rifles" that is another BS term thrown around. They look like military hardware in mass, and legal full auto firearm ownership is a tiny tiny fraction of total gun ownership. Including museum and collector pieces that cost as much or more than a nice new car and more that even the majority of "gun nuts" can't afford. I'd be more worried about getting shot with the average hunting rifle than the "evil black rifle" everyone calls an assault weapon. I have yet to wake up to a rifle or handgun getting out of a locked safe or climbing off my desk and staring at me or anyone I know in the middle of the night on their own let alone "assaulting" someone. Likewise the use of rifles of any kind, were again minute in the total gun homicide totals. In fact during a four year span from 2007 to 2011 in separate categories, hands/fists/feet as one itself and objects like hammers/clubs as another out paced murders by ALL rifles respectively. Then we have those pesky assault knives....scary. At least 4x or more each individual year were used in murders over rifles...ALL rifles. But but but assault rifles are bad because they look "military" and are scary.
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Speaking of how peaceful (according to them anyway) Canada and other countries like the UK and Australia are when the firearm debate comes up...

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/60-2nd-amendment/10754-gun-law-changes-6.html#post626562

Then you have this $****. Had people in Paris the accessibility to firearms at even half of the US, these guys could have been stopped before killing the cop. Who knows what could have happened if the people in the building could legally conceal carry a pistol to work. Maybe nothing, maybe a few survived, but none were given the chance to to find out if they had the ability to fight for their life or not. The average hunter with a bolt action rifle could have killed both of these guys if they had it rather than a cellphone to document the slaughter.

Maybe the next time a SWAT team is sent out they should come with a great attitude and doughnuts instead of those evil guns, because obviously guys with guns are never called to stop criminals with guns. Before you spout the "but the police job is to protect..." no, it's not. It's to serve, and under court of law within the US they have ZERO duty to protect.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Okay, what the ****... I enjoy a decent political discussion, so long as it is a discussion and not a closed-minded argument.

I think there are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too many guns out there, both legal and illegal. That said, we have a couple of firearms. They are never loaded and have never been fired by us. They are oiled and fire-able though. Will they ever be fired? Hopefully not, though my dad keeps talking about going to a range. I wouldn't mind that as I always enjoyed my pellet and paintball guns.

Here in Texas just up the street from me there is a gun show... literally... every month. Seriously... is that really necessary? Criminals hire people to go into these types of shows and buy guns for them. Felons can't purchase a gun themselves, but they get around that by paying someone to purchase one for them.

I am not against people owning a weapon or two but don't see the need for hoards or caches of weapons. I understand for some firearms are a hobby and what they are into which is one of the reasons this topic is so difficult and usually a very heated debate. I'm not sure I buy the defense against the gov't stances since the gov't has access to weapons systems that would and could annihilate any home grown militant group or organization with little effort. As I said, personal defense position I'm okay with.

Bottom line, this topic is a very contentious one (like most political subjects) because you have people on the far left and the far right. Only the minority thinks down the middle. I am not for outlawing guns, but I am definitely for stricter gun control. Face it, guns are dangerous... in a very different way than, to use an example above, automobiles can be.

What drives me up a wall is seeing the open carry demonstrations. I don't care if you are there legally, and exercising your rights. How about you think about all the people in the establishment that you are scaring the sh*t out of. So selfish and disrespectful to see these guys walking into a restaurant with long rifles and pistols like it's no big deal. Those are the people who give gun ownership a bad name... If you want to demonstrate go open carry in front of the court house or representatives offices, not where people are just taking their families out to enjoy a night of recreation with the little bit of disposable income they have.

·
(Formerly "shadow")
2013 Kia Optima
65 Posts

1 - 20 of 57 Posts