Kia Optima Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,316 Posts
Kia replaced your engine over 100k? I have a 2013 Optima that is eating oil like crazy with no visible leaks, 125K. I figured they wouldn't do anything to help me out.
Yup, replaced at 172,000 miles in 2019. The engine has a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, but not oil consumption.
The companies have taken an attitute that oil consumption is not a reason to replace the engine, so just keept the oil level in the safe are and drive the car. Hopefully, at some point in time, the cel will flash, P1326, the engine will seize and then it will be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia replaced your engine over 100k? I have a 2013 Optima that is eating oil like crazy with no visible leaks, 125K. I figured they wouldn't do anything to help me out.
I also have a Kia Optima and had a problem with high oil consumption, no visible leaks either. I was advised to switch to a thicker oil brand Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I did an Amsoil vs Mobil 1 oil review. After researching all the benefits of both oils, I chose Mobil 1. Changed the oil and the oil consumption really went down. I was so happy, you can't imagine🥳🥳🥳 So maybe you should try it too!?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,316 Posts
I also have a Kia Optima and had a problem with high oil consumption, no visible leaks either. I was advised to switch to a thicker oil brand Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I did an Amsoil vs Mobil 1 oil review. After researching all the benefits of both oils, I chose Mobil 1. Changed the oil and the oil consumption really went down. I was so happy, you can't imagine🥳🥳🥳 So maybe you should try it too!?
Don't want to be too harsh, but sorry to say, all in your head!
You can use 15-40 and it won't stop oil consumption.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't want to be too harsh, but sorry to say, all in your head!
You can use 15-40 and it won't stop oil consumption.
I'm going to give my '12 SX another X66-P 2-can enema and then change the oil and record how much I have to add over the 5K change interval. At 100K when I bought it the thing drank over a qt/1K and now at 120K it's a pint and a half. You may be right; it could be a placebo effect. Got to check it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's certainly not very much oil usage, but that vehicle calls for 5,000 mile oil changes, so change the oil, check level the next day and go from there.
Our '11 2.0T started using oil @ 100,000 miles, not much, but maybe a qt between oil changes, and progressed to use more until @ 172,000 miles a qt. every 350 miles. Kia took care of the problem, new engine.

Son in law is going through this with his 2017 Santa Fe, perfect until this summer when the engine started using a considerable amount of oil, but ran fine until 3 weeks ago.
CEL came on and 9 miles later the engine seized, 74,000 miles
Just for reference my 05 GTO owners manual states that 1 qt usage betewwen 5 k oil changes is normal. So do what other have stated change your oil. Check the level to have a starting point and go from there.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Optima
25 Posts
I've written several posts in the past couple of years about my drastic oil usage, and I'm currently at roughly 500 miles per quart using Mobil-1 5W-30 High Mileage (up from around 300 mi/qt using various 5W-20 oils). Searching Amazon for a cheaper 5W-30 I came across this- Valvoline High Mileage 150K with Maxlife Plus Technology Motor Oil SAE 5W-30 which claims to be "FORMULATED TO REDUCE OIL CONSUMPTION in older high mileage engines". It also states, "Maxlife Plus Technology with Moly Additive Protection goes above and beyond our standard high mileage motor oil to protect against the unique challenges of older high mileage engines. The multidimensional anti-wear system and proprietary detergent mixtures is specially formulated to protect the more vulnerable metal surfaces and reduce oil consumption in older engines." A 5-qt container costs $31.99, not bad. I'm going to try it- nothing to lose at this point, and be interesting to see if it really does reduce my engine's oil consumption. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,638 Posts
Just a passing thought: I feel like the "high mileage" oil formulations are designed to rejuvinate the flexible seals, so they help prevent oil loss through the seals.

However, your oil consumption seems much higher, and I'm guessing it is from the piston, where the oil rings get gummed up and don't properly scrape oil back into the sump so the oil is lost through the combustion chamber. In that situation, I don't think the high mileage oil will help, but please monitor your consumption and see, because maybe you do have some loss via the seals that will improve.

To help the gummed up oil ring, I don't have any suggestions. I think people have done various things, like I vaguely recall someone mentioning a soak where you add a solvent to the cylinder, then pressurize, and let it soak overnight. Personally I'm trying to postpone the inevitable gumming up of oil ring by using only top-tier gas (has more detergents) and using a 20-oz jug of techron at every oil change. It might not be making any difference but so far I am at 125K miles and consume about 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I concur, KingFatty. I had a new engine installed, gratis last May for knocking. '12 Optima SX turbo. The old engine was full of sludge and used 1 qt/1K. It had lifetime oil changes from the dealer when my GF owned it. Before it knocked, I used a can of X66-P aerosol, spraying into the pcv hose until stalling and then letting it sit at least 15 minutes before restarting. I did two treatments and changed the oil (synthetic, of course). Oil consumption decreased by about a third and it burned three qts by the next 5K oil change. In the new engine I am using a GF-6 oil and I installed a catch can. It will certainly fill up quickly in cold weather. Before the next oil change I'll hit it again with a brief shot of X66-P at a shorter 4K mile change interval. I also will put a 32 oz bottle of Techron black in the fuel tank. I think that's the best insurance until the **** thing blows up again!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts