Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Optima
23 Posts
Just got off the phone with Kia customer service regarding my 2012 Optima w/GDI engine w/119K miles, to report that the engine uses about 1 quart of oil every 100 miles approximately. I recently changed the spark plugs and PCV valve. One of the plugs appeared a bit gunky and the PCV valve was clogged. But otherwise, the engine seems to run very well. Other obvious symptoms is a black film on the rear of the car, and black smoke when I have to push the engine such as getting onto the highway. Anyway, other than assigning a case number, the rep said that since my car is out of warranty that there's nothing that Kia can do unless the engine siezes due to the infamous bearing issue. I thought I read in here that people had gotten new engines even with much higher mileage than my car due to excessive oil usage. Anyway, I'm looking for advice on what to do. Obviously, I need to go to a dealer and ask for an oil consumption test. Anything else I should know? How should I plead my case with the dealer? I've never had much favorable luck with dealer services and I don't want to wind up with a big waste of time and lots of aggravation. I appreciate and and all input.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
Right - all engines burn oil - its their nature since oil is being splashed around everywhere inside, including pistons.

As far as OCI, since i have the '13 2.0 turbo, and its at 187K, i set the oil reminder for 3750. Never really get to see the oil level drop very much, yet it does even at that OCI. Luck all!

·
Registered
322 Posts
...the PCV valve was clogged....
That would cause the engine to suck up oil into intake. After the PCV was changed did it improve the oil usuage? If not then its either worn piston rings/pistons and/or leaking valve seals. If the engine feels strong it is more likely the latter. Not much to prep for, perhaps have your oil change paperwork stack handy just to wave at them showing you did maintain the engine. Luck.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
585 Posts
"uses about 1 qt of oil every 100 miles".... Is THAT true or did you mean 1000 miles?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Optima
23 Posts
"uses about 1 qt of oil every 100 miles".... Is THAT true or did you mean 1000 miles?
Yes, 100 miles, before and after PCV valve change. The engine's always used oil so I didn't pay much attention to how much until recently when it seemed like more than usual so I finally started calculating it.

Just a thought. Could the new PCV valve be junk? I bought it from a local parts store. I would think that a PCV valve is a PCV valve, but are there better and lesser quality ones out there?

Many thanks for any and all replies.

·
Registered
322 Posts
...Just a thought. Could the new PCV valve be junk? I bought it from a local parts store. I would think that a PCV valve is a PCV valve, but are there better and lesser quality ones out there?...
Wow - that is a whole lot of oil. I've not seen the PCVs for these engines. But in general, they can be shaken and should rattle. If no rattle, then valve is bad.

If ok, I'd visit dealer. Might be covered. Doesn't hurt to ask. Luck.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Optima
23 Posts
Ok, I've spent some time researching pcv valves and there are differences related to vacuum. There is a letter stamped on the valve indicating its vacuum rating. I didn't save the original PCV valve, but the local parts store valve didn't have a letter marking and I just assume that it's a generic part. I bought an OEM PCV valve which had an "A" stamped on it. I replaced the generic parts store valve with the OEM "A" marked valve, but before I connected the rubber hose to the valve I stuck a long screwdriver down the hose and felt resistance at the bend like there was a clog. I freed the resistance with the screwdriver and sprayed some WD40 into the hose (to dissolve any remaining gunk). Reconnected the hose and started it up, and the engine seemed a bit perkier as I throttled the accelerator a few times. Took it for a ride and nailed it a few times, and I did not see a big cloud of black smoke that I always used to see when stepping on the accelerator. Very encouraging! So, I made sure the oil level was full and reset the trip odometer, and we'll see if it's still using a ****-ton of oil. I'll report back in about a week or so...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep. I mistakenly put 5W20 synthetic in my '12 SX with 105K and it consumed a quart every 500 miles. Changed it to 5W40 synthetic and it's gone down less than 1/2 cup this past week. I have a heavy foot, so I expect at least 2 quarts to be burned between 5K oil changes. I haven't checked the compression or turbo oil seal yet.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Optima
23 Posts
Ok, I've spent some time researching pcv valves and there are differences related to vacuum. There is a letter stamped on the valve indicating its vacuum rating. I didn't save the original PCV valve, but the local parts store valve didn't have a letter marking and I just assume that it's a generic part. I bought an OEM PCV valve which had an "A" stamped on it. I replaced the generic parts store valve with the OEM "A" marked valve, but before I connected the rubber hose to the valve I stuck a long screwdriver down the hose and felt resistance at the bend like there was a clog. I freed the resistance with the screwdriver and sprayed some WD40 into the hose (to dissolve any remaining gunk). Reconnected the hose and started it up, and the engine seemed a bit perkier as I throttled the accelerator a few times. Took it for a ride and nailed it a few times, and I did not see a big cloud of black smoke that I always used to see when stepping on the accelerator. Very encouraging! So, I made sure the oil level was full and reset the trip odometer, and we'll see if it's still using a ****-ton of oil. I'll report back in about a week or so...
It's been a while so I'll update...
Symptom: 2012 2.4L GDI engine w/119K miles uses 1 qt. oil in 100 miles.

Potential remedies summary:
  1. Replaced original PCV valve with local parts stores generic brand. Old part appeared gunky but still clicked when shaking it. (Also changed plugs, 1st time for this engine). Oil consumption unchanged and still black smoke when "stepping on it".
  2. Replaced new generic PCV valve with a new OEM PCV valve. Also, cleared what felt like a clog in the PCV valve hose with a screw driver and some WD-40. Oil consumption unchanged and still black smoke when "stepping on it".
  3. Replaced K&N air filter which hadn't been "serviced" in 2 years, maybe even 3, with a standard FRAM air filter. Added 1 qt. Castrol 5W30 High Miles full synthetic (previously using various 0W20 full synthetic oils) plus 20 oz. Marvel Mystery Oil which brought it up to the full line. Poured the remaining 12 oz. of MMO into the gas tanked and filled. Almost immediately, the engine felt smoother and peppier, could actually hear induction noise, and barely any black smoke or none at all when "stepping on it". Best of all, oil consumption decreased from 1 qt. per 100 miles to 1 qt. per 600 miles. And, gas mileage increased from 22.5 mpg to 24.9 mpg. These 2 "stats" have so far been consistent after 1,200 miles.
Conclusion: It appears that neglecting the cleaning of the K&N filter and thereby starving the engine of air is the main culprit of the excessive oil consumption and black smoke. Although now using 1 qt. oil every 600 miles is still pretty poor, it sure beats using 1 qt. every 100 miles. And, the extra MPG's are a nice surprise, but I'd sure be much happier if the oil consumption was more like 1 qt. every 1K+ miles.

Further thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciatively welcome...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yup makes sense, a clean air filter is utterly essential. A typical engine gulps almost 15 times as much air as fuel. Continued luck and update us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just checked the oil level in my 2011 SX (with 94,000 miles) that I bought new. I was shocked to see the level was about 1/4 above the low mark or about half way between low and half way on the stick with 6000 miles since my last change. I assume this is about 24 oz used. The car has been 100% dealer serviced. It was checked after engine was hot and sitting 30 minutes. Is this excessive oil usage? What would be "normal" with 94,000 miles????????

Thanks!

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 burned 3quarts between properly scheduled oil changes. The car only had 30,000 miles on it when this BS started. To answer your question, NO IT’S NOT NORMAL. Does KIA care? No they don’t. There should be a recall because it’s ALL OVER the internet that Optimas are consuming too much oil and the average mileage when the problems start is at 29,800. I have to waste another day to bring the car back at 1000 miles so they can “check” for oil consumption. I fully anticipate them telling me that everything is just fine. Corporate crap. They know the Optimas are TURDS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just checked the oil level in my 2011 SX (with 94,000 miles) that I bought new. I was shocked to see the level was about 1/4 above the low mark or about half way between low and half way on the stick with 6000 miles since my last change. I assume this is about 24 oz used. The car has been 100% dealer serviced. It was checked after engine was hot and sitting 30 minutes. Is this excessive oil usage? What would be "normal" with 94,000 miles????????

Thanks!

Richard
The turbo seems to use quite a bit of oil. I have a '12 SX with 107K that I once put in 5W20 and it used a quart every 1000 miles. Replacing it with Castrol Edge 5W 40 has reduced this to a quarter. Our cars are supposed to use 5W 30. Haven't really checked to see where the oil is coming from but I suspect the turbo oil seal is designed to weep slightly, which wouldn't bother me if the engine itself isn't consuming oil. I never see any smoke, get 30+ mpg highway and it still out accelerates 90% of the cars out there.

BTW I bought the car off my GF, who bought it new from Crowley Kia in Bristol. CT. They claimed to have done regular oil changes with her maintenance plan but one day I checked and it was 1 1/2 quarts low and filthy 2 weeks after it was supposedly changed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's a four-cylinder turbo. They burn oil. Doesn't matter what make/model, I've never seen one that didn't. Go ask someone with a WRX...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Agreed. Turbo oil seals all seem to weep. Rather have that than grenading a turbo before 100K.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got off the phone with Kia customer service regarding my 2012 Optima w/GDI engine w/119K miles, to report that the engine uses about 1 quart of oil every 100 miles approximately. I recently changed the spark plugs and PCV valve. One of the plugs appeared a bit gunky and the PCV valve was clogged. But otherwise, the engine seems to run very well. Other obvious symptoms is a black film on the rear of the car, and black smoke when I have to push the engine such as getting onto the highway. Anyway, other than assigning a case number, the rep said that since my car is out of warranty that there's nothing that Kia can do unless the engine siezes due to the infamous bearing issue. I thought I read in here that people had gotten new engines even with much higher mileage than my car due to excessive oil usage. Anyway, I'm looking for advice on what to do. Obviously, I need to go to a dealer and ask for an oil consumption test. Anything else I should know? How should I plead my case with the dealer? I've never had much favorable luck with dealer services and I don't want to wind up with a big waste of time and lots of aggravation. I appreciate and and all input.
Switch to a heavier oil. It's time. My '12 SX with 107K uses considerably less oil since putting in 5W 40 (Castrol Edge).

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
20 Posts
Let the car sit overnight Then before starting the car check the oil. And with any loss go one step further and put a thicker viscosity like Mobil 1 5-40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why would one change the oil at 4k miles when the recommended change interval is 5k miles?

If you consider the dealership checking the oil consumption as doing something, then you are correct, but if it's only a qt every 1000 miles, Kia will do nothing to remedy the situation, whether you're in Southeast Michigan, or anywhere else in the USA.

Why waste your time as well as the dealership's time with such a minimal amout of oil usage?
Because by the end of the 5000 miles recommended between oil changes, you’ll have NO OIL in the engine.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,296 Posts
Because by the end of the 5000 miles recommended between oil changes, you’ll have NO OIL in the engine.
If you use that scenario, better change the oil at 1500 miles as my 2.0T was consuming a qt every 325 miles.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts