Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked the oil level in my 2011 SX (with 94,000 miles) that I bought new. I was shocked to see the level was about 1/4 above the low mark or about half way between low and half way on the stick with 6000 miles since my last change. I assume this is about 24 oz used. The car has been 100% dealer serviced. It was checked after engine was hot and sitting 30 minutes. Is this excessive oil usage? What would be "normal" with 94,000 miles????????

Thanks!

Richard

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,829 Posts
The problem is, if the dealer changed the oil, you don't know what level they started with. Maybe they underfilled?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
That's certainly not very much oil usage, but that vehicle calls for 5,000 mile oil changes, so change the oil, check level the next day and go from there.
Our '11 2.0T started using oil @ 100,000 miles, not much, but maybe a qt between oil changes, and progressed to use more until @ 172,000 miles a qt. every 350 miles. Kia took care of the problem, new engine.

Son in law is going through this with his 2017 Santa Fe, perfect until this summer when the engine started using a considerable amount of oil, but ran fine until 3 weeks ago.
CEL came on and 9 miles later the engine seized, 74,000 miles

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just checked the oil level in my 2011 SX (with 94,000 miles) that I bought new. I was shocked to see the level was about 1/4 above the low mark or about half way between low and half way on the stick with 6000 miles since my last change. I assume this is about 24 oz used. The car has been 100% dealer serviced. It was checked after engine was hot and sitting 30 minutes. Is this excessive oil usage? What would be "normal" with 94,000 miles????????

Thanks!

Richard
Change the oil every 4K and do not leave the oil change parking lot without knowing the oil dipstick level. Then check the dipstick every 1K, until the next oil change at another 4k.

ALWAYS return the dipstick level to the full mark every 1k. When the engine begins using one quart every 1k, report it to the dealer. They will likely want to schedule more closer testing - then decide a possible outcome - that could include getting a new engine for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1 qt in 1000 miles, Kia will do nothing, will be considered normal usage.
Maybe at your dealer they do nothing. My dealer will have the consumption / dipstick read, at the next 1K-mark. Sometimes they change the oil and tell you to return in 1K. Or they may just top-off the oil, then send you out the dealership - to return in 1k.

Yes, Kia will do 'something', if consumption woes falls within their parameters. Times have changed, here in Southeast Michigan.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
Change the oil every 4K and do not leave the oil change parking lot without knowing the oil dipstick level. Then check the dipstick every 1K, until the next oil change at another 4k.

ALWAYS return the dipstick level to the full mark every 1k. When the engine begins using one quart every 1k, report it to the dealer. They will likely want to schedule more closer testing - then decide a possible outcome - that could include getting a new engine for free.
Why would one change the oil at 4k miles when the recommended change interval is 5k miles?

Maybe at your dealer they do nothing. My dealer will have the consumption / dipstick read, at the next 1K-mark. Sometimes they change the oil and tell you to return in 1K. Or they may just top-off the oil, then send you out the dealership - to return in 1k.

Yes, Kia will do 'something', if consumption woes falls within their parameters. Times have changed, here in Southeast Michigan.
If you consider the dealership checking the oil consumption as doing something, then you are correct, but if it's only a qt every 1000 miles, Kia will do nothing to remedy the situation, whether you're in Southeast Michigan, or anywhere else in the USA.

Why waste your time as well as the dealership's time with such a minimal amout of oil usage?

·
Registered
2012 Optima 2012 OPtima EX
4 Posts

Thanks!

Richard
Have you changed your PCV valve? The engines will "use some oil if it is clogged, they are cheap and easy to install.

Also, like someone else said did you check it after it was changed.. I do now just to be sure, in the past I found on another not common car that they did not change the filter and the oil was dirty.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
The OP oil usage is far from a concern, but these engine are, hate to say it, junk and some just start using oil.
Son in law's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.4, engine, no oil uisage between changes, but back in August the daughter called from work and said the oil light came on quickly when so made a turn. Drove to her place of employment to check the car out, added 2 quarts and it was still low. Just had it change a week before so thought it wasn't filled properly so she stopped at the shop on the way home and added oil to the fill mark, two weeks later the engine seized on the highway, three weeks later drove out with a new engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why would one change the oil at 4k miles when the recommended change interval is 5k miles?
All the four cylinder owner manuals I read for Hyundai and Kia list 3750 for severe service and 7500 for normal OCI. What owners manual do you have that lists 5k? Perhaps I missed a few models whose manuals spec 5k..

Or.. are you discussing new vehicle dealer recommendations, which are sometimes different than the owners manual?
I always follow the manual. Not the dealer OCI cling window stickers.

Also, did I stipulate somewhere above that the dealers offer a new engine when a quart of oil is used in 1k? If I did, that's a typo. Meant to say our dealer begins monitoring services then - afterwards keeps a file history on consumption issues from that point-forward. I've never encountered a dealer that swaps a smooth running engine that uses excess oil.

Most times, the engines being brought back to dealer multiple times for consumption issues, eventually take a crappola and get replaced free. Only engines I've read getting replaced are ones in the crappola dire straits. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
All the four cylinder owner manuals I read for Hyundai and Kia list 3750 for severe service and 7500 for normal OCI. What owners manual do you have that lists 5k? Perhaps I missed a few models whose manuals spec 5k..

Or.. are you discussing new vehicle dealer recommendations, which are sometimes different than the owners manual?
I always follow the manual. Not the dealer OCI cling window stickers.

Also, did I stipulate somewhere above that the dealers offer a new engine when a quart of oil is used in 1k? If I did, that's a typo. Meant to say our dealer begins monitoring services then - afterwards keeps a file history on consumption issues from that point-forward. I've never encountered a dealer that swaps a smooth running engine that uses excess oil.

Most times, the engines being brought back to dealer multiple times for consumption issues, eventually take a crappola and get replaced free. Only engines I've read getting replaced are ones in the crappola dire straits. Sorry for the confusion.
Not certain as to all the owner's manual you're referencing, but the early years of the 3G call for 5,000 mile oil/filter changes and as the OP has an '11, it's 5,000 miles.
Kia swapped my smooth running 2.0T engine, but the car ran as new except for the qt every 350 miles, and that is a common problem, oil usage as the cylinders become egg shaped, at least that's my view.
Waste of time for you and the dealer to monitor the oil usage, as they can't make any decision on their own. Just drive the car and if the oil consumption drops to maybe a qt every 600/700 miles, call Kia, they'll give you a reference number than get the dealership involved. Maybe you have the dealership do all the oil changes, I don't as I'm cheap and want it done correctly without some stealership grease monkey getting involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would think the 5,000 interval would apply to Turbo models vs. the 2.4l. My previous car, an '03 Infiniti G35, started consuming oil at about 160k - first time I changed the oil there were only 2 quarts in it (out of 5qt capacity) and I gasped. At what point does the engine oil light come on, or does it only measure oil temp and nothing else? In any event, the car started consuming more and more oil and it got to the point I never did oil changes because it consumed so much oil, I was constantly filling it. So I would just change the filter once in awhile. Car hung on until 280k when I figured it was finally time to get rid of it.
Disconcerting to hear the oil consumption can start so soon on these cars. I was shocked the catalytic converters did not eventually go bad on my Infiniti with the amount of oil it burned over so much time.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
I would think the 5,000 interval would apply toTurbo models vs. the 2.4l. My previous car, an '03 Infiniti G35, started consuming oil at about 160k - first time I changed the oil there were only 2 quarts in it (out of 5qt capacity) and I gasped. At what point does the engine oil light come on, or does it only measure oil temp and nothing else? In any event, the car started consuming more and more oil and it got to the point I never did oil changes because it consumed so much oil, I was constantly filling it. So I would just change the filter once in awhile. Car hung on until 280k when I figured it was finally time to get rid of it.
Disconcerting to hear the oil consumption can start so soon on these cars. I was shocked the catalytic converters did not eventually go bad on my Infiniti with the amount of oil it burned over so much time.
Sorry to say your thinking is wrong, at least according to the owner's manual:
ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER GDI ENGINE (X1,000 MILES) 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER T-GDI ENGINE REPLACE AT FIRST 3,000 MILES-AFTER THAT EVERY 5,000 MILES

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I just realized I think my owner's manual has errors in the regular maintenance schedule, because it includes the various oil change intervals for the 2.4 GDI engine, but fails to mention the 2.0 T-GDI oil change intervals?

Anyway, my point is that the turbo engines have a different recommendation for the oil change interval than the non-turbo. So if you have a turbo, you probably want to use that more frequent schedule, and not the schedule for the non-turbo (which is more lenient/less frequent).

I think non-turbo is 7500 miles interval, and turbo is 5000 miles interval.

See how this page mentions the turbo engine oil change only once for tens of thousands of miles? Anyone else have this error in their user manuals? Mines a 2012 SX:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
I just realized I think my owner's manual has errors in the regular maintenance schedule, because it includes the various oil change intervals for the 2.4 GDI engine, but fails to mention the 2.0 T-GDI oil change intervals?

Anyway, my point is that the turbo engines have a different recommendation for the oil change interval than the non-turbo. So if you have a turbo, you probably want to use that more frequent schedule, and not the schedule for the non-turbo (which is more lenient/less frequent).

I think non-turbo is 7500 miles interval, and turbo is 5000 miles interval.
The 2.0T is in the first box!
Guess it's what manual you have as mine was stated above, both the same.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,024 Posts
My 2018 owner's manual shows a page similar to what KingFatty posted but without the 3000-mile replace oil/filter requirement for the 2.0T, but does include an additional asterisk in the lower right-hand part of the page stating that for 1.6T and 2.0T oil/filter replacement is every 6500 miles or 12 months.

To Turbonut's comment though--the first box in the pic KingFatty posted does state that for the 2.0T to replace every 5K miles or 6 months after the initial 3K mile/6 month replacement; guess placing it there would seemingly make folks wonder how come oil replacement for the 2.0T is not mentioned in any of the other mileage boxes, which is why I'm guessing that in later MY manuals Kia put that wording in the lower right-hand part of the page as an asterisk.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,762 Posts
Thought I'd post the referenced document so one could see that the GDI & T-GDI both require changes @ 8,000 km=4,971 miles.
Certainly changes over the yeaers, both 5,000 miles, then 7,500 miles GDI/5000T-GDI, then to both 7,500 miles.
Take your pick.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
guess placing it there would seemingly make folks wonder how come oil replacement for the 2.0T is not mentioned in any of the other mileage boxes, which is why I'm guessing that in later MY manuals Kia put that wording in the lower right-hand part of the page as an asterisk.
Exactly, I find the style of my manual to be misleading. There are like 5 pages in a row that tell you "When you reach this many miles, do ALL the things in this box," so they have a lot of boxes and it's usually simple to check your odometer, find the right box, and make sure you do all those things. If you have a non-turbo engine for my manual, you are set, it tells you to change the oil at that box. But not for the turbo engine, it's odd that they are inconsistent about how the box applies to the non-turbo for sure, but not the turbo, where you need to always do a separate check to insert an additional possible step into each box, if the mileage aligns with the oil change interval.

Really, they should have a section for turbo, with five pages of boxes for what you do at each mileage interval. And then have another section for non-turbo, with the five pages of boxes specific for that engine.

Another really odd thing that confused me, is Kia included the turbo-specific guidance in the boxes when to change the spark plugs. But they left out the oil changes. So, by including the turbo spark plug specific note in the boxes, that makes you expect to see other turbo specific notes in the boxes.

I much prefer the style in Turbonut's image, where they make it clear that you need to have a different schedule for oil changes in the turbo. I feel like the three approaches shown here are illustrating an evolution from terrible/misleading manual design to OK (using the asterisk), to good (using the table).

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a four-cylinder turbo. They burn oil. Doesn't matter what make/model, I've never seen one that didn't. Go ask someone with a WRX...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts