Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX - Sold Aug 17, 2020 :(
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago, I was 1000mi away from changing my oil when I noticed the oil light flicker on my car. I had noticed a stronger smell of oil as well which prompted me to have a look at the oil. Usually I'm good until the next oil change and haven't had to check the oil because of the short interval, and I haven't noticed any oil spots, due to not having a garage and always parking on the street. Upon checking the oil I noticed it was drastically low. I made a short trip to Autozone and bought some of their dealership-grade 5w-30 oil and put in 2quarts, checking between the first and second to make sure what the level was.

Today I made it to the dealership for my way too early oil change along with my list of issues I noticed:
1. The above issues
2. Sluggish acceleration upon cold starting. Almost as if there was no power, or turbo engaged. What 'fixed' the issue, temporarily, was pulling over, turning the engine off, then restarting it.

2 hours later I heard from the Service guy that they had found that the oil return line from the turbo was leaking oil and they could see the mess that it had left. He also, started that the bottom of the car was clear of any damage and therefore nothing could have damaged the line. Why the line is faulty, I am not sure. The next thing I was informed was that the part was not in stock and that someone had already left their dealership to pick up the part from another dealership. Being that they estimated that the repair would not be completed until the 'End of Day', i was offered a rental (from enterprise :( hoping for a kia loaner, still a car regardless) which was awesome service and amazing to hear that they found something and were proactive about helping and fixing the issue. I got the enterprise rental, which they paid for, and and waiting to hear about the update as to when it will be ready!

I have usually received poor to mediocre service from Kia dealerships in the past, but this Service rep was really helpful! This is the third time going to this dealership. The first time I had this same person and again had a really good experience. Last time at the dealership I unfortunately was paired with a rep which did not like his job, and therefore made the whole experience quite unpleasant. It's crazy how someone can really turn your whole experience upside down about a dealership. As long I can get the same rep, I'll keep going here. We'll see what happens today!

Here's my rental, 2015 Chrysler 200. Eh, it's a car.

·
Registered
2012 Optima Optima SX
8 Posts
I have almost 125,000 miles on my SX Turbo and have never had a problem with it until the oil return line a few weeks ago. Aparently the part of the line that is wrapped in foil is rubber and I was told they are prone to leak. When I found the mess under my car I checked the car and the oil wasn't even registering on my dipstick out mine was leaking, I was over 3 full quarts low and the oil light indicator on the dash never came on, so that's kind of scary.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
I have almost 125,000 miles on my SX Turbo and have never had a problem with it until the oil return line a few weeks ago. Aparently the part of the line that is wrapped in foil is rubber and I was told they are prone to leak. When I found the mess under my car I checked the car and the oil wasn't even registering on my dipstick out mine was leaking, I was over 3 full quarts low and the oil light indicator on the dash never came on, so that's kind of scary.
LOL.

Usually when the oil light is triggered the oil pressure is very low and the engine has next to no oil in it or less than a quart.

When the oil light comes on, engine wear has already started.

If the oil light comes on,time for a new engine or prepare to shop for one in the future since the main bearings,etc was not properly lubricated.:p

Is the replacement hose rubber also?

·
Registered
2012 Optima Optima SX
8 Posts
I didn't ask but I think the replacement line is rubber under the foil. It was a dealer only part and cost me $185.00, My local mechanic only charged me $100.00 to put it on so I was pleased. That tiny line sure did make a big mess.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
I may have to keep an eye on the return line in the future and swap it out around 60k miles or so before it fails.

Thanks for the information.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is pretty crazy that the oil light isn't turning on! I'm only at 40,000 or so miles. When I checked my oil it was barely touching the oil dipstick.

It turned out yesterday that the dealership that took care of 'fixing' my car actually did some harm to the engine. Kia of Cerritos said that Kia of Sherman Oaks royally messed up the oil return line connection by stripping away the holes that secure with line with screws. Not sure if they replaced the hose or just fixed the connection at that point. Still a major no no for a dealership to perform poor repair work :(

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,464 Posts
Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket improved version (braided steel, etc.) being available? Seems like this would be a good time for a replacement with better than OEM parts!

Maybe if this exists, David at K5OS could source it for us who want to change this out proactively. I'd be in for sure as I plan to keep my car a long time and enjoy the heck out of it!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
23 Posts
Mine sprung a leak also, I guess it's a wear part? Replaced it myself during an oil change with new gaskets and banjo bolt also. I used almost every little tool to get to it without dropping the subframe. Articulating socket extension and offset wrenches ftw. In my case manual is wrong about torque where feed line connects to the turbo. Needed about double the torque to prevent it from leaking oil at the banjo bolt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine sprung a leak also, I guess it's a wear part? Replaced it myself during an oil change with new gaskets and banjo bolt also. I used almost every little tool to get to it without dropping the subframe. Articulating socket extension and offset wrenches ftw. In my case manual is wrong about torque where feed line connects to the turbo. Needed about double the torque to prevent it from leaking oil at the banjo bolt.
Hi lost1,

Glad you were able to find it and fix it on your own. I was curious how you were able to tell that it was the oil return line? Losing a significant amount of oil or seeing the oil spots under your car? I always park on the street (no garage :( ) and am unable to tell if it's me or the prior person.

For next time, or if you ever check out the oil return line, could you post pictures as well? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think i have the same problem with my k5 2014! I see a lot of oil but I don't know where it comes from .. I think it's that **** line

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw a few saying the check engine oil light barely came on at all when there was an oil issue, and my light barely flickered and I just happened to catch it so , checked the oil and ít was bone dry. I would think the sensor should have gone off way before that point. Well, there was no oil left to monitor so Im wondering now and it makes me very uneasy. Put oil, took it in and it has a broken oil line. I'm so concerned that there was damage done to the engine and I'm a lot upset that the sensor never came on until then.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL 2nd engine @ 121k
55 Posts
That's a lot of oil to spill. If the engine was not knocking (really, really loud sound you can hear several houses away) then its probably ok. Oil coats parts and protects them for a while. I would have it towed or call the dealership if under warranty so they can tow it.

Mine leaked slowly so I smelled the oil before long. Luck.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,869 Posts
I saw a few saying the check engine oil light barely came on at all when there was an oil issue, and my light barely flickered and I just happened to catch it so , checked the oil and ít was bone dry. I would think the sensor should have gone off way before that point. Well, there was no oil left to monitor so Im wondering now and it makes me very uneasy. Put oil, took it in and it has a broken oil line. I'm so concerned that there was damage done to the engine and I'm a lot upset that the sensor never came on until then.
Got to remember that the sensor is an oil pressure sensor,
NOT an oil level sensor. The light will only come on when there
is no oil pressure, either a pump failure or no oil for the pump to
pick up.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,045 Posts
Well if there was practically no oil in the engine (the person did say it was "bone dry"), then wouldn't there be very little if not no oil pressure? Alternately, would the oil pressure read the same regardless of how much oil is flowing through the pump?

·
Registered
54 Posts
All you people with low level dipstick marks or no oil on the dipstick at all, ought to be ashamed, for not checking the dipstick level more regularly. I open the hood for an inspection every 500 miles. One of our vehicles has only 6800 miles on it and the other 14800 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts