Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone that had pan gasket leak at the back end.
Does drive train warranty cover this fix?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
I had that issue early on with my 2012, like back in 2015. Here is what happened:

Dealership #1: said I had a stripped oil pan bolt, just big fat fucking liars who lied directly to my face. They wanted to charge me for a new oil pan. I asked for the car back. Fortunately they left the oil pan bolt alone - but I could see a worse situation at an even worse dealership they might have just stripped the bolt to avoid looking like liars, thankfully they didn't do that to me.

Dealership #2: said oh that's a known issue on your 2012 2.0T engine, there is a TSB to replace the gasket material, we'll do that for free sorry for the inconvenience.

The first dealership is in an expensive town. The second is out in the boonies. I think the first dealership doesn't care if they lose customers, but the 2nd seemed interested. Watch out for bad dealerships. If you have a bad experience, you might find a better experience elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back end meaning where transmission meets engine or back end meaning right side/firewall side of engine?
The back edge of the oil pan. There is wetness below the mounting bolts and on the side of the pan, Dry everywhere else!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had that issue early on with my 2012, like back in 2015. Here is what happened:

Dealership #1: said I had a stripped oil pan bolt, just big fat fucking liars who lied directly to my face. They wanted to charge me for a new oil pan. I asked for the car back. Fortunately they left the oil pan bolt alone - but I could see a worse situation at an even worse dealership they might have just stripped the bolt to avoid looking like liars, thankfully they didn't do that to me.
Hah I had a similar experience with a Dealership #1 when I had my oil pan replaced a couple months ago. They claimed there were three leaks (oilpan, valve cover, and crank shaft seal) and wanted almost $2k for the work. Called a local shop and had them look and all they saw was a leaky oil pan. Had it fixed for $300 and presto - no oil leak! Now that I know about the TSB, I need to see if Kia will reimburse me for the work. Probably not since it wasn't done at a dealer.

Oh and side note, the dealer I spoke with was scummy as ****. I called them out about the "additional" oil leaks and they got really mad/defensive, and started questioning the quality of work from the shop I used for a second opinion. Nevermind that this shop has a great reputation around town, and it's obvious with the cars I saw them working on. The shop I went to felt so bad about how the Kia dealer treated me that they threw in a few service freebies like new filters for cabin and engine air.

Edit:
I called Kia customer care and it turns out my car isn't a part of the oil pan TSB, but they did confirm that my engine is eligible for the recall involving the bearing/machining issue that had destroyed other peoples' engines and is covered under a lifetime warranty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts