Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have 2012 Kia Optima with the 2.4L GDI engine with roughly 102,000 miles on it and I'm going through a quart of oil every 600-700 miles roughly. I took the car to the Kia dealership where they are doing an oil consumption test, but they are telling me that it is normal for my car to consume this much oil. I have a hard time believing that any healthy modern day engine consumes that much oil. Is this normal for these cars?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Upon refusal by the dealership, contact Kia Inc. That's where your complaint should go. Get real names of those that denied you at the dealer, for verification/proof.

Kia Inc will let you know, if your particular vehicle ownership qualifies for assistance.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Optima
23 Posts
Hey all, I have 2012 Kia Optima with the 2.4L GDI engine with roughly 102,000 miles on it and I'm going through a quart of oil every 600-700 miles roughly. I took the car to the Kia dealership where they are doing an oil consumption test, but they are telling me that it is normal for my car to consume this much oil. I have a hard time believing that any healthy modern day engine consumes that much oil. Is this normal for these cars?
Hello SlowWhite, I've been writing on another post titled "Oil Usage AGAIN!". My 2012 with the 2.4L GDI with 119K miles is drinking oil to the tune of about 1 quart every 125 miles. One suggestion I got on here was to change the PCV valve. I did, with one bought at a local parts store, and no change. However, I just changed it out with an OEM PCV valve plus unplugged what felt like a clog in the PCV valve hose. Although, its only been a few days, I no longer see a huge cloud of black smoke when punching the accelerator. Do you see black smoke when accelerating hard?
Also, I called the Kia customer service number, and the person I spoke with basically said that, with 119K miles, there's nothing they can do about it. Assuming no real improvement since the OEM PCV valve and hose clean-out, I will try a Kia dealer and hope that we'll do an oil consumption test to at least get the problem on record.
I'd be curious how you make out further...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like a lot to me, but I'm not a mechanic. My 2011 with a 120k replacement engine in it eats anywhere from almost nothing to a full quart about every 4-5000 miles. I've also got a leaky valve cover gasket that contributes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello SlowWhite, I've been writing on another post titled "Oil Usage AGAIN!". My 2012 with the 2.4L GDI with 119K miles is drinking oil to the tune of about 1 quart every 125 miles. One suggestion I got on here was to change the PCV valve. I did, with one bought at a local parts store, and no change. However, I just changed it out with an OEM PCV valve plus unplugged what felt like a clog in the PCV valve hose. Although, its only been a few days, I no longer see a huge cloud of black smoke when punching the accelerator. Do you see black smoke when accelerating hard?
Also, I called the Kia customer service number, and the person I spoke with basically said that, with 119K miles, there's nothing they can do about it. Assuming no real improvement since the OEM PCV valve and hose clean-out, I will try a Kia dealer and hope that we'll do an oil consumption test to at least get the problem on record.
I'm not sure why someone would suggest changing out the PCV valve for an oil issue. That has to do with emissions and fuel economy, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to know where all that oil is going...

·
Registered
619 Posts
No. Have you been using the free oil change oil from the dealer? Then maybe yes. That oil caused thousands of engines to fail, including my old 2012 EX. My engine was burning oil, I was losing 2 quarts between oil changes, and at 67, 500 miles the engine locked up (2.5 years ago). I dont know if they fixed the problem with the oil or not, but I use a separate shop and Valvoline 5 w 40 on mine ( recommended by the Lap3 U.N.C.L.E. chip manufacturer since the 30 weight oil cant get into all the nooks and crannies.....but I have a 15 turbo. Yeah, don't trust Kia to say "yeah our oil is killing your engine". Take it to a shop you trust and have them do a compression test on each cylinder, and tell them about the huge engine replacement problem on the 2011-15. (This is why they reduced engine output in 2016-20).

-Chris

Reactions: Joemsj51

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Oil has nothing to do with the Hyundai/Kia engine problems. If it was just the oil, guess
everybody used the same oil in the 300,000 engines that were replaced.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
9 Posts
My 2013 jas been using more oil since at least 99k. I took it into the dealer right before the warranty went out. They said nothing was wrong. I've been adding extra oil every since. I sure would like to know where it's all going.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
...2013 been using more oil since at least 99k....would like to know where it's all going.
How much do you add how often? 'Acceptable' by most manufacturers is 1 quart per 1000 miles. How does yours measure to that?

Where does it go? Out the tailpipe mostly. Does it smoke out the pipe?

Either rings or pistons have some wear then another possibility is leaking valve seals. Normal signs of an aging engine, just keep it topped up with good oil, maybe slightly heavier like 5-40. Luck.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
For those with high oil consumption - Do you make an effort to use only top-tier fuel? Do you add Techron each oil change?

Just wondering if there is a pattern. I use top-tier gas fairly religiously, and I also add Techron every oil change. But because I haven't noticed unusual oil consumption, I don't track my oil consumption yet. I'm still at the full mark after the last oil change, perhaps 2K miles I'm guessing?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
My 2013 jas been using more oil since at least 99k...
OP - forgot to mention the possibility of a faulty PCV. Another person on here recently had high oil usage, replaced PCV with Kia OEM (said an autozone one did not improve things) and the oil consumption dropped for him. Worth a check, they rattle if OK when shaken. Luck.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
9 Posts
How much do you add how often? 'Acceptable' by most manufacturers is 1 quart per 1000 miles. How does yours measure to that?

Where does it go? Out the tailpipe mostly. Does it smoke out the pipe?

Either rings or pistons have some wear then another possibility is leaking valve seals. Normal signs of an aging engine, just keep it topped up with good oil, maybe slightly heavier like 5-40. Luck.
I'm adding a quart about every 200 miles. I do notice it out the tail pipe when I get on it. I think I might try that heavier oil. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Can't believe the way these threads have gone lately, from technical to these recent threads that evidently are pulled out of the air.
From PCV faulty, 200 miles per qt, use top tier fuel, use heavier viscosity oils e.g. 5-40, Techron additive, oil usage in the Kia engine from ring and/or piston wear, valve stem oil seals worn, oil changes at 3,000 miles, etc. Are you one of the lucky ones?????????? Just give it time.

Certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes, but get it through you heads there is no preventative that can be used, nor is there anything that can be done to prevent the engine demise in the Theta II engines. There have been millions of vehicles manufactured with these poorly designed engines, but only maybe 300,000+ that have needed replacement, so far.

One day you'll be driving the car and the flashing CEL will come on and if you're lucky the car will make it to the dealership, but if the cards don't fall the right way, you'll be stuck on the side of the road when it seizes, or the car could become and oil burner to the point that Kia will do a replacement if it becomes excessive.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
9 Posts
Can't believe the way these threads have gone lately, from technical to these recent threads that evidently are pulled out of the air.
From PCV faulty, 200 miles per qt, use top tier fuel, use heavier viscosity oils e.g. 5-40, Techron additive, oil usage in the Kia engine from ring and/or piston wear, valve stem oil seals worn, oil changes at 3,000 miles, etc. Are you one of the lucky ones?????????? Just give it time.

Certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes, but get it through you heads there is no preventative that can be used, nor is there anything that can be done to prevent the engine demise in the Theta II engines. There have been millions of vehicles manufactured with these poorly designed engines, but only maybe 300,000+ that have needed replacement, so far.

One day you'll be driving the car and the flashing CEL will come on and if you're lucky the car will make it to the dealership, but if the cards don't fall the right way, you'll be stuck on the side of the road when it seizes, or the car could become and oil burner to the point that Kia will do a replacement if it becomes excessive.
Your comment was very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
or the car could become and oil burner to the point that Kia will do a replacement if it becomes excessive.
Do you know of any likely factors that would contribute to oil consumption, on an otherwise perfectly healthy engine? As in, not related to engine failure, but rather just what causes oil consumption and is there anything a user can do to minimize that inevitability?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jszabo17, The dealer checked the PCV valve and said it was working fine. No leaks. What is weird is when I do step on it, no smoke comes out of the exhaust. However, when I hold my hand or a piece of paper against the exhaust and rev it a few times (after it has warmed up), I get oil droplets all over the paper. Maybe the Catalytic converter is just taking a beating and preventing the smoke from coming out.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those with high oil consumption - Do you make an effort to use only top-tier fuel? Do you add Techron each oil change?

Just wondering if there is a pattern. I use top-tier gas fairly religiously, and I also add Techron every oil change. But because I haven't noticed unusual oil consumption, I don't track my oil consumption yet. I'm still at the full mark after the last oil change, perhaps 2K miles I'm guessing?
Always used fully synthetic, top tier, 5w-30. Always changed oil around 5000 miles and never exceeded 7500 between intervals.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No. Have you been using the free oil change oil from the dealer? Then maybe yes. That oil caused thousands of engines to fail, including my old 2012 EX. My engine was burning oil, I was losing 2 quarts between oil changes, and at 67, 500 miles the engine locked up (2.5 years ago). I dont know if they fixed the problem with the oil or not, but I use a separate shop and Valvoline 5 w 40 on mine ( recommended by the Lap3 U.N.C.L.E. chip manufacturer since the 30 weight oil cant get into all the nooks and crannies.....but I have a 15 turbo. Yeah, don't trust Kia to say "yeah our oil is killing your engine". Take it to a shop you trust and have them do a compression test on each cylinder, and tell them about the huge engine replacement problem on the 2011-15. (This is why they reduced engine output in 2016-20).

-Chris
Chris, I bought a compression tester and checked it myself, the compression was actually reading higher than normal on all cylinders. It was between 180-185 PSI if I remember correctly when the manufacturer specs are ~150PSI. Have no clue what would cause that other than maybe carbon buildup. Spark plugs looked fine though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts