Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
10 Posts
Not blowing out, and there will be no smoke with catalytic converters, this is why we don't see the cars with blue oil burner smoke anymore.
I see smoke when I accelerate. If I really get on it I see a cloud of smoke behind me. Looks like an incorrectly tuned diesel engine. I've been adding oil about every 500 miles.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
389 Posts
True, don't see too many gasoline vehicles with smoke coming out tailpipe cuz of cats.

Yet eventually even those little oven pellets will get overcome and coated/clogged with so much oil, especially on very short trips when the cats don't get to 900 degrees as necessary to burn off oil. Ensure a good long trip (30+ miles) a week to help, but its just help. What is happening (valve seals?) will continue until something gives.

so a quart every 500 or what?

·
Registered
3 Posts
had same issue and nobody could find any leaks. Dunno, some engines just do that, but what helped is changing to a good synthetic, instead of replacing a quart every few weeks it cut down to every 2-3 months or so. I don't see what engine you have but you can look it up here to see what type of oil and how much you need here...
There is a 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engine for the 2016

Oil and air filters for 2016 kia optima. What engine?

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
10 Posts
True, don't see too many gasoline vehicles with smoke coming out tailpipe cuz of cats.

Yet eventually even those little oven pellets will get overcome and coated/clogged with so much oil, especially on very short trips when the cats don't get to 900 degrees as necessary to burn off oil. Ensure a good long trip (30+ miles) a week to help, but its just help. What is happening (valve seals?) will continue until something gives.

so a quart every 500 or what?
Yes, a quart about every 500 miles. Unfortunately, I do not drive far for work. We do not drive the car on family outings. After the fourth kid we had to get something with a third row, and the optima is for commuting.

I just received a notification about this thread and it reminded me to add oil. Hahaha

21 - 24 of 24 Posts