Kia Optima Forums banner

Oil consumption 2016 Optima

9K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  da14tango 
#1 ·
The saga continues..car was serviced in December oil light had been flickering intermittently, i took it in and they marked the dipstick to start a 500 mile oil consumption test. I bought it back after putting the miles on the car and they said that Kia settled the motor dispute and the dealers "advice" was to keep a quart of oil with me at all times. I started checking the oil after an additional 1000 miles and then after an additional 1300 miles. Both times the oil was a quart or more low. Has anyone else experienced this? Should i add an oil treatment Lucas, etc?

#2 ·
Super common, search site for lots of examples of far worse oil burning. Some as high as a quart per 300 miles.

You can try the additive to see if it makes a diff, maybe. Most auto mfrs say 1 quart per 1000 miles is 'normal and acceptable'. That sounds like about what yours is consuming oil at.

Don't wait until light is flickering, stay ahead of the problem, luck.

#3 ·
Super common? I hope they let me write this off on my taxes lol. I never remember adding any oil to my other 2 optimas, i changed it every 4-5 k miles and that was it. Seems to me that this engine is deficient, Kia knows it and washed their hands of it. Smh...

#7 ·
Has anyone ever used CRC intake cleaner and Lucas oil treatment as so called preventative measures? I just think its ridiculous that we are adding oil like this to a so called newer car lol. Kia or Hyundai or both seriously got this engine wrong...hopefully the engine has a warranty and it goes into limp mode or seizes lol, it would save me and OPEC a lot of oil lol

#8 ·
I applauded Kia/Hyundai as when they did an oil consumption test and found oil usage exceptionally high, they took it upon themselves to do a replacement, but in the last year, I'd say their philosophy changed, and now, rather than replacing the oil burner they've decided to give the consumer a hard time and have them just keep adding oil. Hopefully the engine will seize, but from experience, the engine just keeps on running and as above, why change the oil when a qt is needed every 500 miles.

No type of maintenance or any additive will save the crappy engine, if it's going to go, it will go, hopefully slowly. I would be leery of adding any additive as it may be evident at time of inspection, and it would be just another reason for them to deny the lifetime warranty. The daughter's 2.4 seized 9 miles after the cel came on, in a downpour when on a narrow country road, talk about a safety issue. When I arrived, there were 3 police cars trying to reroute the traffic around the SUV, then we pushed it down the hill onto a side road, then the tow-truck showed up, with a genius driver. Before loading onto the flatbed, he did some tests and came up with remarkable deduction that the starter was bad, I didn't say a word, just looked at the daughter and let him go about his business. The SUV was dropped off at the dealership and returned 11 days later after the new engine was installed.

#10 ·
Thank you for your Service USSVET.
I'm assuming your 2016 engine is covered....

Drive that vehicle hard and when it finally either seizes or goes into Limp Mode, that's when your covered extended engine warranty will kick-in.

Just keep the oil level full at all times. They can easily determine if the engine was abused by low oil volume. You do not want any headaches haggling with Kia over coverage and getting that free new remanufacturered engine block.

Just use a value-priced 5w30 in the meantime..... like Supertech, Amazon, Kirkland oils. Your prior Optimas may have served you better because they may not have been TGDI / GDI engines.

The Kia / Hyundai manufacturer does not build their GDI / TGDI engines to last. It kinda' explains why both branches of the large corporation is progressively moving into SmartStream engines / MPIs and ridding the fleet of TGDI / GDI eventually.

Reactions: USSVET
#22 ·
True, don't see too many gasoline vehicles with smoke coming out tailpipe cuz of cats.

Yet eventually even those little oven pellets will get overcome and coated/clogged with so much oil, especially on very short trips when the cats don't get to 900 degrees as necessary to burn off oil. Ensure a good long trip (30+ miles) a week to help, but its just help. What is happening (valve seals?) will continue until something gives.

so a quart every 500 or what?

#24 ·
True, don't see too many gasoline vehicles with smoke coming out tailpipe cuz of cats.

Yet eventually even those little oven pellets will get overcome and coated/clogged with so much oil, especially on very short trips when the cats don't get to 900 degrees as necessary to burn off oil. Ensure a good long trip (30+ miles) a week to help, but its just help. What is happening (valve seals?) will continue until something gives.

so a quart every 500 or what?
Yes, a quart about every 500 miles. Unfortunately, I do not drive far for work. We do not drive the car on family outings. After the fourth kid we had to get something with a third row, and the optima is for commuting.

I just received a notification about this thread and it reminded me to add oil. Hahaha

#23 ·
had same issue and nobody could find any leaks. Dunno, some engines just do that, but what helped is changing to a good synthetic, instead of replacing a quart every few weeks it cut down to every 2-3 months or so. I don't see what engine you have but you can look it up here to see what type of oil and how much you need here...
There is a 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 engine for the 2016

Oil and air filters for 2016 kia optima. What engine?

#25 ·
Spent a lot of time in Toyota forums with there oil eating issues and the main issue to me is if you run the engine low on oil real good just once you may damage the oil scavenge ring on the pistons and then it becomes a little oil eating monster from then on. This happens very easily with modern car owners in that people do not regularly check there oil and then always add oil to keep it at the fullline.

This scenario is almost guaranteed if you get your oil changed at the dealer. That instills in the car owners mind the mother ship is taking care of everything under the hood I no longer have to even open it and no longer have any responsibility under there. Wow that feels good. The dealer is great.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. An ASE mechanic does not change your oil a minimum wage guy does. He does not check your oil and then walk into the lobby and interrupt your popcorn and movie and coffee to tell you there was hardly any oil in your engine you need to watch it carefully from now on. That never happens. Plus if you throw the dealer the keys and say oil change your getting the vat oil. Plus they routinely over fill the oil.
If you get your oil changed at the dealer take it home park it on a flat surface and then 15 minutes later check your oil. It will be over filled. With crappy oil.

I see this in many car forums. It’s generational no one knows anything about cars anymore nor care Whats going on under the hood till it hits there wallet. Only us old guys are on car forums or someone who’s car is having issues.

With our Junk motors one good run low and ii may really start eating oil

If you run the oil so low the engine light comes on which means the oil was So low the pump was dry then your really done.

#26 ·
Crazy how some engines use so much and others very little. I'm 2nd owner of a mostly highway driven 2L turbo. Owner had all receipts from dealer showing 5K OCIs, that is the Good.

He also had all the receipts showing he turned down the suggested optional servicing to engine, probably the intake cleaning with the spray cleaner?

No oil catch can added either. Despite that, it runs very well for its age (or any age if a Kia, haha).

The reaper will come for it someday, that is certain yet until then I'll enjoy it. Luck all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.