Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The engine was replaced 7 months ago and at first , the oil remained pretty clean for a while. Did the first oil change at 1000 kms and then 5000kms. So this oil has about 2000kms on it.Granted, I do wot from time to time but does the oil get black after about 2000kms?
In the pic, the dark oil is from my optima and the lighter one is from my wife's civic wich has about 7000kms.
But she drives....like a girl lol.
What do you think? I use castrol syntech 5w30 with kia filter.
Car runs fine.
20200325_190050.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
744 Posts
What oil is being used in the Civic? Granted that the oil from the Civic is still relatively lighter in color even with 7000 km vs. the oil from the Optima with 2000 km on it, but even then it may still be apples and oranges--is the Civic engine a GDI?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Civic had 5w20 castrol syntech.
I'm.pretty sure its direct injection.
Non turbo model.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
Some say a gdi engine is a diesel with spark plugs. I'll just call it soot like particles that darken the oil.
I found the same with mine, nice clean oil when dumped at 2000 miles after engine replacement, then the next chage at 5k miles, just like yours, really dark, but the oil has always been like that in this car.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
If you want you could get an oil analysis done. That way you'll know for sure if the oil condition is typical or not.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
4 Posts
Detergent oil will darken more, as it's supposed to. Many new or rebuilt engines will have a break-in oil, which is non-detergent, to assist in piston ring seating. So, theoretically, that first oil change will look cleaner coming out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts