Kia Optima Forums banner

Oil Catch Can Installed

12K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Chief_10Beers 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished up, took Photos ( I'll post later tonight ). It was pretty easy, took about a Hour and a Half from tools out to securing the tools..................................

Edit to add: Just Installed the Black/ White Kia 3.0 K Front and Rear Logo......................

#5 ·
Well here we go. This project was pretty easy. Most of my time was used for getting the bracket just right as it's a tight fit.
Tools you'll need are:
10mm Socket
8mm Socket
19mm Open End Wrench
8mm Open End Wrench
5mm Allen
4mm Allen
2.5mm Allen
Duckbill Pliers
Loctite Thread Sealent ( Optional )
Loctite Blue Thread Locker ( Optional )
Cold Shrink Fusion Tape
Small Table
Sweat Shorts, no Buckles or Rings or Watches. Don't want to scratch the Paint you know.

Remove the Top Engine Cover.

I laid everything out. I used the Duckbills to squeeze the Tabs on the Hose Clamps to remove the Original PCV to Intake Manifold Hose. Original Hose is Pictured on the Table.

ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install by John Nelson, on Flickr

Remove the Bolt with the 10mm Socket, insert the OCC Bracket Between the top Plastic and the ( I think it's a ) metal Bracket under it ( Where the bolt came out of ). Re-insert the Bolt to test Fit. Bolt at the Bottom of the PIC.
ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_g by John Nelson, on Flickr

Next: I installed the 3/8th Nipple in the Inlet ( Left ) Port and the 5/8th Nipple in the Outlet ( Right ) port. The instruction recommended Teflon Tape but I used Loctite Thread Sealant as the Nipple Port Adapters are straight Cut Threads and not NPT Pipe Threads.

I then used the 19mm Wrench to check the tightness of the PVC valve, gotto be carfull as the PCV is Plastic.

Next: I removed the Bolt and OCC Bracket. Mounted ( Loosely ) the OCC to the OCC Bracket with One Short Allen Screw and Nut from the Kit with Blue Loctite Thread Locker, make sure the Nut is towards the OCC. Then I mounted the OCC Assembly in the Engine Bay with the Supplied Long Allen Screw and ADD Washer ( Loosely ) with Blue Loctite Thread Locker. At this point, I had to re-clock the OCC on the Sub-Bracket One Screw Hole Clockwise to Face the ports towards the Intake Manifold. I then Wrapped the Windshield Washer Filler Neck and the upper OCC with Cold Shrink Fusion Tape just to be on the safe Side.

Next: I aligned the OCC where I wanted it to be. I wanted a more Vertical Can as if I used the Two short Screws, the can would have been Canted about 30 Degrees from Vertical. I tightened the Long Mounting Screw with the 5mm Allen. I then tightened the Short Allen Screw with the 4mm Allen and 8mm Open End Wrench.

Next: Hose Installation, I installed the 5/8ths Hose first. I had to cut to length the Hose, slip on the supplied Worm Gear Clamps, Installed Hose and tightened the Clamps. I then proceeded with the 3/8th Hose. First I test fitted the Hose and it was the exact length and no cutting need then I reused the Foam Outer Hose Protector and slid it over the the 3/8th Hose, it was a bear but it will go on. Then I installed the 3/8th Hose with the supplied Clamps.

ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_b by John Nelson, on Flickr

Another Angle:
ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_c by John Nelson, on Flickr

Close up:
ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_h by John Nelson, on Flickr

Install Top Engine Cover, Installation Complete.
ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_d by John Nelson, on Flickr

I then Ran the Engine for Ten Minutes and no Leaks. The I took the Car on a 40 Mile Hike, no Leaks or Engine Light.

Next is Badging and Installing the Kia 3.0K Logos. I did just the Front and Rear Logos for now. Nothing much to say here. Took me 10 Minutes to remove, 5 Minutes to Clean and about 10 Minutes to Install. Very Easy....

ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_f by John Nelson, on Flickr

ADD W1 V3 OCC and Kia 3.0K Install_e by John Nelson, on Flickr

Last step: Wash my Car Tomorrow, it's filthy...................

#6 · (Edited)
Great job on the DIY write-up! BTW...what exactly is the camera lens cap used for in the OCC installation? ;)

I'm unclear about where you said "Next: I aligned the OCC where I wanted it to be. I wanted a more Vertical Can as if I used the Two short Screws, the can would have been Canted about 30 Degrees from Vertical."; what exactly did you do so that the OCC mounts perfectly vertical (i.e., not tilted away from vertical)?

#7 · (Edited)
The original setup has you use two short allen screws to mount the sub-bracket ( that's attached to the OCC ) to the main support bracket ( That's mounted to the Car ). I used one short screw so I can Pivot the Can to Vertical. If you look carefully at the Last OCC photo, you can see what I wrote about.

Oh yeah, the Rain Gods are pissed at me as I washed my Car and two Niros and stupid me dared them to do something about it, I was rewarded with a Tornado watch till 11pm.........................

---------- Post added 04-16-2018 at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-15-2018 at 07:55 PM ----------

Going to add: The ADD W1 V3 and the Black Edition 3.0K Badges was purchased from K5 Optima Store. Everything you need to Install the OCC came in the Kit except installation instruction witch you really don't need. The installation is pretty straight forward and easier to do than the Auto-Mirror install and even that was a walk in the park. Highly Recommended........................

Reactions: K5 Optima Store
This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Round trip to work and back is 84 miles, checked the can when I got home and I had a little bit of oil and a drop of water about the size of a pea floating on top of the oil. I'll check it again in a week and see how much I get. Seems to be working as advertised:cool:.................

Thanks again to Dave at K5 Optima Store:cool:......................

Reactions: K5 Optima Store
#16 ·
Unless someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here, I may/will wind up using a zip tie through the second mounting hole to better secure the OCC to the bracket since after all I reckon there's a reason why there are two screws supplied to mount the OCC to the bracket.
That's why I used Blue LOCTITE Thread Locker on the Screw Threads........................

BTW, thanks for reminding me I need to Detail my Engine..................................

Reactions: williamhood
#17 · (Edited)
Yup Loctite is a good idea, but at the same time IMHO it wouldn't hurt to also make use of the second hole and run a ziptie through it just for good measure.

Re: detailing the engine--LOL my car is less than 3 months old (from when I bought it new) so it hasn't yet been exposed too much to the elements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.