Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,528 Posts
Very nice, remember in the colder months, you will collect nearly 1.5 times the content during the summer months.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
Just make sure no one drinks that!! :D

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
447 Posts
I remain confused on whether the 2nd Port on the V3.3 really matters BUT It's appreciated when any OP states (ie) Which OCC you installed.
Kinda like my posting, "Man, the mod I just did Doubled my MPG". This is Great!!. Post ends there.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
447 Posts
OK. So, which OCC did you install?

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
501 Posts
I'm having to empty my duel inlet catch can about every 2 weeks and it's containing a good amount of gas. This has been since the new engine but also since my tune. Trying to wait for better weather to see if this holds. But I'm getting methanol and new tune done in about 2 months, so will have the shop look at it. Should not be filling up as much as they are, IMHO.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having to empty my duel inlet catch can about every 2 weeks and it's containing a good amount of gas. This has been since the new engine but also since my tune. Trying to wait for better weather to see if this holds. But I'm getting methanol and new tune done in about 2 months, so will have the shop look at it. Should not be filling up as much as they are, IMHO.
Getting lots of condensation here since winter months are freeezing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All turbocharged engines have issues with oil consumption, it's pretty normal when cylinder pressure is high under boost. Your fuel consumption seems a little high if you're getting gasoline in there too. Have you checked your oil to make sure you don't have gas in it also ?????

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any DIY for intake side? I'm assuming IM to "in" and from "out" to air intake?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
741 Posts
Some folks believe--either through personal observation or anecdotal evidence--that there is very little blowby (if not none at all) leaving the valve cover to the air intake, thus a dual-inlet OCC like the ADD V3.3 is not really needed; I can see where such an OCC could be effective if you drive your turbo vehicle really hard fairly often but for day-to-day pedestrian-like driving you could probably get by with just a single-inlet OCC.

As for your DIY question--I'm not sure how one would go about hooking up an OCC between the intake manifold and the air intake since typically you'd have an OCC between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. Actually I suppose you could hook one up between IM and AI but then what do you do about the blowby coming from the PCV valve that would under a non-OCC setup would be routed by default to the IM, which is how the majority of OCC setups are installed (between PCV and IM).

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After installing my injen intake,I noticed plenty of oil residue in the intake rubber pipe/hose that connects to the air box. All of that could've been "caught" by the catch can.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
741 Posts
After installing my injen intake,I noticed plenty of oil residue in the intake rubber pipe/hose that connects to the air box. All of that could've been "caught" by the catch can.
Does your comment imply that there wasn't plenty of oil residue during the time period PRIOR to your installing the Injen air intake? Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to why you prefaced your statement with "After installing my injen intake", and also simply trying to understand/learn as to what kinds of conditions would lead to blowby exiting the valve cover going to the air intake. I have the ADD V3.3 OCC that implements a breather filter in place of the hose going from the valve cover to the AI, and AFAICT I don't see much of a oil mess in the area between the breather filter and the inlet where the hose from valve cover to AI would have connected into; I suppose the breather filter would have soaked up much of the blowby (if any) but I imagine there would still be some residue that gets past the filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one on an MkV GTI (FSI) for 100k miles. Other than being a pain in the ass and turning my engine bay into an oily mess I'm not sure whether it was helpful. I never pulled the top to check the valves but I might soon to see if they're clean Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 . Without the air recirc it came into the car too which was annoying.
In hindsight I probably wouldn't have gotten a vent to air can or probably no can at all honestly. Not worth dealing with imo. If I ever get another direct injection car I'll just make sure it's one of the engines with a little port injection to keep the valuables clean.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does your comment imply that there wasn't plenty of oil residue during the time period PRIOR to your installing the Injen air intake? Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to why you prefaced your statement with "After installing my injen intake", and also simply trying to understand/learn as to what kinds of conditions would lead to blowby exiting the valve cover going to the air intake. I have the ADD V3.3 OCC that implements a breather filter in place of the hose going from the valve cover to the AI, and AFAICT I don't see much of a oil mess in the area between the breather filter and the inlet where the hose from valve cover to AI would have connected into; I suppose the breather filter would have soaked up much of the blowby (if any) but I imagine there would still be some residue that gets past the filter.
I should've specified that I saw the oil in the oe intake after removing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts