Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it's not rocket science but I need some advice..
One morning, I decided to check the engine oil level and noticed it was quite a bit below the low level.
I bought a jug of oil and poured in about 500ml.
When I checked the dipstick afterwards, I am getting oil above the "full" level
Pic 1 below was taken after I topped off the oil and waited about 10 minutes
Pic 2 was taken after Pic1 but I had the engine on for few minutes, turned it off and waited about 5~10 minutes
Did I put too much oil??

TIA
pic 1:
Eyewear Wood Gas Cable Automotive lighting

Pic2:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Gas Electrical wiring

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where was the oil before you filled it? 1st dot to the 2nd dot is 946ml difference
Proper way to check oil
  1. Park on level ground
  2. Turn engine off for about 30 mins for the oil to drain down to the oil pan
  3. Pull dipstick out and wipe clean
  4. Insert dipstick all the way down
  5. Pull dipstick out again and check
  6. Should read full at the 2nd dot
If over filled 200 ml, dont sweat it. If its a lot, drain a little until you get to the full mark
that's roughly what i've done.. only I waited about 15 minutes after warming up the engine before checking the dipstick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't even look like you're at the full mark yet to me.
ya it's just throwing me off because I'm seeing so much oil above the F level on the dipstick.
When i check in the morning cold, the oil level was sitting well below the L level. So since I poured in about 500ml of new oil, it shouldn't have been overfilled but just getting that much oil above the F level is worrying me...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another option is to wait overnight and check in the morning. by then, any residual oil along the upper part of the tube will have made its way back down into the sump.

My guess is there was oil on the upper parts of the tube that the dipstick rubbed against when you were pulling out.
Ya I haven't driven my car since last night..
The car manual says to warm up the engine to an operating temperature and wait few minutes to check the level...
so I plan on doing it cold and then follow the manual to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just checked my oil level cold (not driven since last night) and it was sitting between L and F
Warmed up my engine for few minutes, turned it off and waited 20 minutes. Checked the dipstick again and it was sitting at around the same level as before.
So I ended up pouring in more oil. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated as I was worried I overfilled :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine looks the same at times going a little higher but I notice the stick seems dry down the middle in the red circle. Mine is usually solid right at the F mark after a change which is 5.07qts on my Optima. On your stick, I would call the level at the black line. It is solid to that point with no oil right above until you see the streaky area start.

View attachment 252015
Ya I think that's where the level is at. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts