Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Shark Racing kit contains a modified OEM multiswitch with the 2 pigtail wires as you described. I did not use this kit, but from what I understand, the red wire with the fuse replaces the power outlet fuse in the under dash fuse block and the other wire from the switch needs to go to the coil of the included relay in the kit (either leg 85/86, the other one should be ground). The power outlet fuse isn't directly supplying the power to run the fog lamps themselves, it just provides an ignition controlled signal to feed the multiswitch which in turn feeds the activation coil of the relay. Using this method, you don't have to worry about turning the fog lamps off since they can only be activated while the ignition is on.

The wires need to be run inside the column trim and the red wire needs to make it's way to the fuse block, while the blue wire needs to be routed through the main harness grommet in the firewall to wherever you decide to mount the relay to. I would recommend at the very least to use some corrugated split loom to protect the wiring and make it blend in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One last thing..
First off, I want to say thank You robbtemp. Your instructions were phenomenal! I printed out your instructions and used them almost word for word as an instruction manuel to install the shark racing fog lights, with the HID upgrade with the OEM mulit-switch.
Between getting the bumper off, setting up the wiring, running the switch into the cabin, mounting the HID ballasts, and all of that, it took way longer than an hour, but I was being cautious, and I had a lot of distractions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My last question has to do with getting the steering wheel back on.. I was sloppy when it came to marking off the spline where the wheel originally was.. To my surprise, when I put the wheel back on the first time, it was way off.. After re-doing the process a couple of times, I narrowed down the spline where I think the wheel originally was. However, the wheel still seems slightly "cocked" to the right (for lack of a better word). When I move one spline to the right or left, the wheel is way off, the spline it is on now is definitely the best, my last question that I will bother you with is; do you know how the wheel could be slightly off? I fear that my torque wrench, which was a loaner, may have been off, and I bent the arm or something. Would this be a common or even possible mistake? The roads are kind of bad here, and even with a new car, great tires, and alignment, "straight" is a relative term, but it seems after this project, my wheel is always slight right when I correct, I drift to the left. This little glitch is not the end of the world, as the angle is not major, and the drift not horrible, but can this be fixed? Possibly with an alignment, or perhaps there is something I missed. I really hope I didn't make too bad of a mess.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts
I just finished this mod. Here are some pictures of the modified wiring harness. I used pins from an old ATX power supply all around. Each connector has a small plastic strip that you have to pop out to add pins.

Auto Switch - Pin 3 (Blue, Factory is Green) (Ignore the T-tap)
Fog Switch Return - Pin 5 (Black)
Fog Switch - Pin 6 (Yellow, Factory is White)

The Fog Switch Return needs to be grounded. I put a T-tap on Pin 2 which is ground. I ran the wires down alongside the factory harness to the BCM (just above the accelerator pedal) connector B (back bottom, aka M02-B).

Auto Switch - Pin 10 (Blue, Factory is Green)
Fog Switch - Pin 3 (Yellow, Factory is White)
(These photos have non-factory wires from my Auto Light Sensor Mod)

The Auto Lights require the auto light sensor (install guide here). The Fog Lights can now be wired into the I/P Junction Box.

Left Fog Lamp - Pin 14 (Red, Factory is Orange)
Right Fog Lamp - Pin 15 (Red)

I ran these wires through the firewall and out to each fog lamp.

·
Registered
2011 Optima Optima 2.0T
4 Posts
This is excellent! I was intimidated to do this job, but this thread made me feel at ease. Completed the whole job in less than an hour. Got my switch from ebay and the fog lights work properly again. Thank you for the concise directions. The hardest part was releasing the two side pins for the air bag, but I took a long thin screwdriver, cut off the flat blade, narrowed it to a point, then flattened the point slightly and it worked perfectly. Put a new leather wrapped steering wheel on while I was at it!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts