Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an odd noise start up recently with my '13 Optima when turning sharply at speed: there is a sharp CLUNK from the rear of the vehicle, cannot tell if it's coming from the right or left side, but it sounds like it's coming from the left. The suspension has not changed/the car is not riding or listing to one side, and the tire pressure is nominal.

Any useful input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
There might be something loose in the trunk well, down where the spare tire usually goes. Maybe a small piece of metal or a socket? Or something in the trunk, but I think the sharpness of the clunk would be metal on metal, like down in the well where there isn't any carpet or lining, just metal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There might be something loose in the trunk well, down where the spare tire usually goes. Maybe a small piece of metal or a socket? Or something in the trunk, but I think the sharpness of the clunk would be metal on metal, like down in the well where there isn't any carpet or lining, just metal.

That sounds about right! Kids used to leave a Hot Wheel or toy from McDonald's in the cup holder and drive me crazy...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've had an odd noise start up recently with my '13 Optima when turning sharply at speed: there is a sharp CLUNK from the rear of the vehicle, cannot tell if it's coming from the right or left side, but it sounds like it's coming from the left. The suspension has not changed/the car is not riding or listing to one side, and the tire pressure is nominal.

Any useful input is greatly appreciated.
Check the rear shocks, and suspension. On a lift , and if it is clunking from the front, it is the sway bar end links, which cost a whopping $20 bucks each. So if your rear suspension has a sway bar, perhaps it is a similar connecting part. Never have the end links done at the dealer. It is an EASY job and any mechanic can fix it on the cheap.

Reactions: JasonS
1 - 4 of 4 Posts