Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
86 Posts
So how do I check if this is an issue in my car? Just crank the A/C up to full blast and listen for any strange fluttering type noise?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
Mine would happen when the fan was on the second highest setting mostly, but would sometimes do it on lower settings, just depends I guess on the atmospheric conditions of the day.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,833 Posts
Does it matter whether the A/C is set to recirculate? I'd imagine the problem is from air trying to escape, so if you are recirculating, the problem wouldn't happen because the air is recirculated instead of escaping?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
Does it matter whether the A/C is set to recirculate? I'd imagine the problem is from air trying to escape, so if you are recirculating, the problem wouldn't happen because the air is recirculated instead of escaping?
Hard to say since recirculate up the fan speed too, and it seems to be more dependent on that...but your theory does make sense!

In my case, air was being sucked INTO the sunroof, not forced out. They used the soapy water trick on the seals to determine where and how the sound was being made.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
How in the world was your car sucking so hard - was it creating a vacuum inside the cabin somehow?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
19 Posts
I finally got mine resolved the last trip to the dealer. Had to take a video of it making the noise, and then test drove it with the mechanic to show him it was the sunroof causing it.

Apparently another dealership did a service action on the sunroof a while back and didn't adjust it correctly after the work they did. The front of the sunroof was just up slightly higher than it should have been, so wind would get under there and cause that noise. They adjusted it down in the front and haven't had any issues with the noise since.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
This has been the most amazing problem as there is no One Fix that Kia Engr's can point to for a Design Improvement.
BlkJkMk had a Seal Issue, RLYSLO had an Alignment issue, and they Removed Insulation from my Roof.
Doesn't make sense.
And, TSB 161 was the High Cabin Pressure fix about trunk panels blocking extractor vents. AFTER the TSB my ears still popped and the Tech heard the fast, high-pitched "Wooooshhh" when the Flutter was On and I lowered the Window. Still saying thank you prayers for the Flutter being 5-times worse the very day I demo'd the flutter to the tech.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
162 Posts
My ‘14 SX-T’s sunroof went from being very quiet to annoyingly creaky dueing this winter (I’m in Toronto). Thought I’d just have to live with it until I came across others on here having issues. I mentioned it while in the dealership with another issue. They cleaned, lube and reprogrammed the sunroof module. Did absolutely nothing. The first issue was never resolved after two attempts (clunking noise while turning. They replaced driver side CV shaft and strut bearing already).

My car has been with the dealership since yesterday morning. Thankfully they provided me with a loaner while they sort these issues out.

For as as much as I’m having nagging issues, I’m pleased with the warranty attention to my issues.

I left the Nissan world three years ago because they did jack about a known issue on my engine that I had to replace which was only 5K over warranty. The fight was epic, but they shot me down.

Mine is starting to rattle some with the sunroof closed.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Fingers crossed, but mine is quiet after 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
So I have a theory - there are these little foam cushions you can see if you open the sunroof, which look like they cushion the support bars. I wonder if those just get a little compressed sometimes, like when it's cold or the car had some body flex to compress the cushion, or it just wore out over time, which allows the support bars to knock into each other? Maybe add a layer of foam tape on top of the cushion and see if it helps?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I figured it out... I have 2016 optima sxl. Bought it new and have been dealing with this rattle ever since. Haven't been able to replicate the noise whenever at dealer.

So upon further testing I determined it must be an air pressure issue in the cabin. When the outside air temperature is about 50 degrees or less the rattle will happen in the roof area near the center light and sunroof button. The rattle is loud during startup and variable while the car is in motion (when the fan is ON).

The interesting thing I determined was that the noise instantly stops when ANY window (or sunroof) is opened. Even if only opened a crack.

Must be an air pressure issue. At dealer now. Will provide update when I find out.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
135 Posts
Interesting. Fill follow this, since I also have a 2016 SX-L. On my new F-150 Platinum truck, the stupid moonroof creaks like crazy due to lack of support of the rear panel at the very back (near the rear window). What solved it was lubing the rubber seal... but I have to do it often. Will lube mine with the same silicon-free 'rubber care' Wurth spray, to prevent it from cracking, and also to eliminate any possible noise. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012. The sunscreen would rattle when I went over bumps. Cracking the sunroof open or holding the sunroof while driving would stop the rattle. I tried to lubricate the weatherstripping and that didn't work. I had the car into the dealer today and had them grease it doing the TSB SA270 shown in the PDF posted earlier. That fixed the rattle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 Ex, no issues at 40k miles, though they had me bring it in for service on the sunroof a year ago, no issues before the fix either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is EXACTLY the issue I am having :( The Kia dealership can't seem to figure it out and neither can Kia Canada. How is there a TSB in the USA and not one in Canada for the same issue???

Does anybody have a copy of TSB 161 which deals with the "farting" sound coming from the front of the car?

Please!!!!

THIS surely is about TSB 161 (12/16) which follows my symptoms described as (Thank 2000UZJ for sending this to me):

With FAN SPEED HI I'm hearing a Flutter at the (seems like) Psngr AC Vent Area (Vs Sunroof area) that goes away WHEN THE WINDOW GOES DOWN OR Fan Speed down to Low.
It Started at first ONLY when the MODE was AC/DEFOG but Today I turned Off the AC (Fan Hi + RECIRC) and the Flutter remained.
Likely RECIRC is chosen (is for me) as it would seem an outside air source would not create as "Sealed a cabin" for the High Cabin Pressure to build .....

TSB 161 (Trunk) LUGGAGE SIDE TRIM REPLACEMENT

This bulletin provides the procedure to replace the luggage side trims on 2016MY Optima (JFa)
vehicles, produced from September 28, 2015 to August 16, 2016, which may experience a concern with high cabin pressure.
This concern is caused by the isolation pads of the luggage side trim assemblies blocking the extractor vents (I've actually felt my Ears Pop when I opened my mouth & didn't know why).

Follow the procedure outlined in this bulletin to replace the left and right luggage side trims.
Part name
Trunk Liner (LH) 85730 D5000WK
Trunk Liner (RH) 85740 D5000WK

Steps omitted but that's the gist of it. The sad part is they likely won't order the parts til they witness the issue, so I've been testing a lot to minimize wasted time at the Svc Ctr trying to prove this. MY issue is Not about the Sunroof BUT maybe the High Cabin Pressure issue affects MORE than one problem. FYI

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,024 Posts
Ask and you shall receive:

TSB 161

I do see that based on your avatar you appear to be from Canada, thus I'm guessing your car is a Canadian-spec Optima...in which case you do realize that these TSBs are applicable to U.S.-spec vehicles, no? For all I know there may be a Canadian equivalent to this particular TSB that your Canadian Kia dealer may be able to pull up but again I imagine Canadian Kia dealers may be under no obligation to recognize U.S.-sourced TSBs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much! My car was exactly during that time frame and the problem is identical. They better not try that: "Oh that's an American issue" crap on me.

It's the same car shipped globally with minor variations.

My only issue is that this "fix" didn't solve the problem for some people on this forum :/

Thank you again tonester!

Ask and you shall receive:

TSB 161

I do see that based on your avatar you appear to be from Canada, thus I'm guessing your car is a Canadian-spec Optima...in which case you do realize that these TSBs are applicable to U.S.-spec vehicles, no? For all I know there may be a Canadian equivalent to this particular TSB that your Canadian Kia dealer may be able to pull up but again I imagine Canadian Kia dealers may be under no obligation to recognize U.S.-sourced TSBs.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts