Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are quite a bit of posts about the panoramic sunroof, but I am having the dealer take a lot ok at it tomorrow. Every morning for the last two weeks I am greeted with a rather loud creaking sound when I hit the dip at the end of my driveway; going into the street straight or on an angle. My 13 EX and 14 SX-T were quiet for the most part.
The sound seems to be coming from the area of the rear passenger window to the rear window. I can duplicate this sound because if the car is sitting outside in warm weather the noise if I press in the right area can be heard.
The advisor at the dealership pretty much told me to live with the noise since it is only when I go down the driveway; whatever dough boy. It seems that working on the sunroof is a pain and it seems to scare them a bit. I have made a few videos of me in the car to document the sound and tomorrow I will drive down the driveway with the sunroof open to see if the sound is there or not.
Don't want to be that person that says just turn up the radio to drown out the sound, .and return your leased vehicle in three years.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
301 Posts
Good luck with getting that taken care of. Have a rear deck rattle on my 2016. Dealer said spare tire fastener was loose. LOL. I believe rattles and such are covered up to 12k.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, and it seems I will need luck. You think after buying two cars from them that they would be a bit nicer, and also
I heard these noises on day two, but no such luck.
1year/12k is the warranty for noises/rattles. The advisor was like I can guarantee you that if we remove the sunroof and install it there will be more rattles and noises to follow; maybe have to roll the dice on that.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
As covered in the other posts you mentioned, they need to drop the headliner and tighten the six bolts that secure the roof assembly. Happened to my 13.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree with you, but these guys are afraid to mess with the sunroof in general; not going to live with this especially only having the car 15 days.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
Then you will have to live with the creaking (and it will probably get worse). My dealer wasn't into doing it at first on my 13 because they had never done it before (and they probably didn't believe me). They looked into it and called me back later that day to schedule an appointment. Dropped the car off one day before work and picked it up later that afternoon.

My 13 was really loud within a few thousand miles. Once fixed I could hear just a faint noise here and there on some turns into uneven parking lots or drives. My 15 is the same. I don't recall any noise on my 11 but it might have been there. If you noise is faint, I wouldn't do anything unless it gets worse. If it's sounds terrible already, I would press the issue.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brought the car into the dealer today and it seems like quite a mess that they have to do to get to the bolts and tighten them. I was told taking down the headliner, breaking off clips, moving the side curtain airbags and a few other things that should like once they put the car back together I may just have other noises then to contend with. I don't recall seeing on the sticker price "free of charge, creaking sound from the sunroof on a brand new car." I am not really down with what they have to do with the interior of a brand new car.
As you say, it may get worse, and since my lease is a three year one, I am not looking to be in that car and listening to that crap for that long.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
314 Posts
This is always a problem with sunroof cars, especially the large ones we have. Had the same problem years ago in my eclipse. Mine creeks a lot now after 2 years driving in NYC and I know it cannot be fixed. Just play the music louder, that's all you can do really.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,436 Posts
FWIW: My '12 has some creaks and whatnot but it is really not that bad. My wife's '14 Rogue has the large pano sunroof and has basically the same issue and we've owned it for almost three years now. I think it really is just the way pano roofs in general are. IDK.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
129 Posts
I personally hate large sunroofs, but on most luxury (or loaded) cars it's going to be there. Unfortunately, there was no exception with this SXL. Anyway, my car also has a freaking rattle, but I think it's on the rear deck, not the pano moonroof (at least not yet). And it's not the spare tire or anything there. My guess is a loose or broken tack weld somewhere in there. It's not that bad now, but screams cheap build quality. I'd like to see a photo or video where the moonroof rattle is, to test it, but I'm almost sure it's the rear deck. And I heard it with all of 20 miles on the clock, when entering a business sideways (chassis flex). Other than that, it's quiet for now. If somebody finds out where it's rattling, please post. I learned the hard way NOT to let a dealer try to chase a rattle. It always backfired, with a damaged interior, and worse rattles than before. Those guys are simply not good to fix rattles. I always do that myself. But creaks like what I have, are harder to find and fix. They could be fixed with a 'C' clamp, if there's space, like on the deck itself. It's not annoying enough yet to make me chase it yet;).

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,571 Posts
Every now and then my 2012 will make a slight rattle from the sunroof, but I'm able to make it go away immediately if I reach up and stick my finger under the black bar that goes across the front area, if that makes sense? If I leave my finger there, I can feel that black bar vibrate/bounce ever so slightly when the car goes over bumps etc. So I think it's just a tolerance thing.

The real way to make it go away is that I use the "tilt" or whatever setting to crack open the rear of the sunroof, then the rattle immediately stops too. Driving around a bit like that, then closing it, keeps it away. It maybe happens once every 6 months where I get the rattle and make it go away?

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
Theres a TSB to fix this issue. The headliner does not have to come down. There's a plastic trim piece in the rear on both sides that needs to be removed and lubed/greased and reinstalled. Takes a total of about 5 minutes. Your dealer is just dumb and clearly does not read any new bulletins when they are posted

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
129 Posts
There's a plastic trim piece in the rear on both sides that needs to be removed and lubed/greased and reinstalled.
Hey, could you take a picture of it and post it whenever you get another SX-L (or SX with the panoramic sunroof)? Haven't opened mine yet, but want to know exactly which part you're talking about;). And have you checked any Optima with the rear deck creak? I'm suspecting a broken weld or something similar. Clearly sounds metal on metal. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
There's a plastic trim piece in the rear on both sides that needs to be removed and lubed/greased and reinstalled.
Hey, could you take a picture of it and post it whenever you get another SX-L (or SX with the panoramic sunroof)? Haven't opened mine yet, but want to know exactly which part you're talking about
. And have you checked any Optima with the rear deck creak? I'm suspecting a broken weld or something similar. Clearly sounds metal on metal. Many thanks.
I'll see if i can get one. Or find the tsb and see if i can send it. Haven't heard any problems with the deck

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The TSB would be great to show my original dealer, or at the least another dealer who is open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am taking the car to another dealer which won't to amount to anything I am sure, but what the heck.
Also found out the name of the head guy over the non-caring service advisor and his equally old-caring service director. I will give him a call to see if the non-caring attitude goes straight to the top of their food chain.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts