Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the past few days I have noticed a noise coming from what I believe to be the blower motor. Noise increases with fan level. I dropped the glove box/access panel to the blower. There were a few pieces of leaves inside, but could not get a good view of inside (haven't had time to remove it yet). Noise sounds like a far off bi-plane or leaf blower. Should I just replace the blower motor, or pull it out for a thorough cleaning? Not sure if noise means imminent failure in the future.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
So the past few days I have noticed a noise coming from what I believe to be the blower motor. Noise increases with fan level. I dropped the glove box/access panel to the blower. There were a few pieces of leaves inside, but could not get a good view of inside (haven't had time to remove it yet). Noise sounds like a far off bi-plane or leaf blower. Should I just replace the blower motor, or pull it out for a thorough cleaning? Not sure if noise means imminent failure in the future.

Thanks for any input!
More than likely you still have debris in there. See if you can shoot some compressed air in there. I had the same issue on a few different cars. Mainly happens after filter change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
368 Posts
Thanks for the insight. In cabin filter had some small leaves in it and looked disgusting. Will drop motor and get it cleaned out and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
Thanks for the insight. In cabin filter had some small leaves in it and looked disgusting. Will drop motor and get it cleaned out and see if it makes a difference.
I wouldn’t waste your time dropping the motor. Just remove filter and get some air in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Could always drop the motor to check. The '08 Optima we purchased new developed a blower bearing noise, so picked up a new unit.
By the time I decided to do an install, the blower had quieted down, no noise, so decided to wait.
Sold the car last year with 300k miles and gave the new motor to the buyer.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
I've had a similar kind of sound, like a mild ticking from a leaf or the bearing or something when using certain fan speeds. It just went away over time/use, maybe took a month or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts