Kia Optima Forums banner

Noises in the night

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  dequardo50 
#1 ·
So, I go out to my garage late one night. It’s maybe 1:30 or so a.m. Not a sound from anywhere, quiet as can be. All of a sudden, I hear some whirring sound for a couple of seconds and a soft click sound. Like I said, it was only happening for a couple of seconds. I thought it was odd, and kind of dismissed it. Well, it has happened several more times, even my wife heard it. She thinks my car is possessed. Not really, but still I wonder, what is going on with this new car. It is a 2020 Kia Optima FE. Anyone ever have that experience?

#3 ·
Just worry about what those noises will do to your wallet someday, when all those electric gadgets start to go haywire.

#7 ·
Neither, I was just in the garage, sitting on my stool, reading my emails. It doesn’t happen very often. The car was parked for like 6 hours or so.
Our Toyota Sienna will make a sound every night. It is the gas tank purge system running. Wonder what that would cost to fix SMH
That is a good possibility. I thought maybe it was a fuel pressure related sound.
I can't tell if you are describing a situation where you are outside the car, or inside?

Is the car completely powered off? Powered on but engine not running?

If you are inside the car, I can think of some cooling/heating system sounds you might be hearing.

But if you are outside the car, I'm interested to find out. I have an older model but I haven't heard it make sounds when I'm outside the car.
I am outside of car. Car has been parked for several hours. Not running, of course.

#6 ·
I can't tell if you are describing a situation where you are outside the car, or inside?

Is the car completely powered off? Powered on but engine not running?

If you are inside the car, I can think of some cooling/heating system sounds you might be hearing.

But if you are outside the car, I'm interested to find out. I have an older model but I haven't heard it make sounds when I'm outside the car.

#8 ·
Maybe your nearby phone (email) is playing Interference with your vehicle electronics, despite no key in the ignition.

#15 ·
I have the 2020 Kia optima fe also and my car doe this exact same thing almost nightly it's is very odd to me at first I was thinking my vehicle was hacked it almost sounds as if it is the fuel pump turning on and off but I don't have any idea why it would do that so it leaves me thinking it is the fuel purge system making this ghostly like noises most likely stabilizing pressure in the fuel system keeping the vehicle primed up with fuel so it is ready to start as soon as you put key in ignition and turn the key without requiring the pump to add fuel before starting that's the best guess I have been able to come up with it had me totally stumped for a while but I guess it's just normal operation of the vehicle from what I can gather there are multiple people that have had this smart thing happen with there 2020 Kia optma's
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.