Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima FE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I go out to my garage late one night. It’s maybe 1:30 or so a.m. Not a sound from anywhere, quiet as can be. All of a sudden, I hear some whirring sound for a couple of seconds and a soft click sound. Like I said, it was only happening for a couple of seconds. I thought it was odd, and kind of dismissed it. Well, it has happened several more times, even my wife heard it. She thinks my car is possessed. Not really, but still I wonder, what is going on with this new car. It is a 2020 Kia Optima FE. Anyone ever have that experience?

·
Registered
Kia Optima LX
3 Posts
It's the electric things around the engine. Those sounds are harmless, I had a Mercedes and Audi that also did that.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Just worry about what those noises will do to your wallet someday, when all those electric gadgets start to go haywire.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Our Toyota Sienna will make a sound every night. It is the gas tank purge system running. Wonder what that would cost to fix SMH

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
I can't tell if you are describing a situation where you are outside the car, or inside?

Is the car completely powered off? Powered on but engine not running?

If you are inside the car, I can think of some cooling/heating system sounds you might be hearing.

But if you are outside the car, I'm interested to find out. I have an older model but I haven't heard it make sounds when I'm outside the car.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima FE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need to ask when the sound is heard? Before you get into the car? After in?
Neither, I was just in the garage, sitting on my stool, reading my emails. It doesn’t happen very often. The car was parked for like 6 hours or so.
Our Toyota Sienna will make a sound every night. It is the gas tank purge system running. Wonder what that would cost to fix SMH
That is a good possibility. I thought maybe it was a fuel pressure related sound.
I can't tell if you are describing a situation where you are outside the car, or inside?

Is the car completely powered off? Powered on but engine not running?

If you are inside the car, I can think of some cooling/heating system sounds you might be hearing.

But if you are outside the car, I'm interested to find out. I have an older model but I haven't heard it make sounds when I'm outside the car.
I am outside of car. Car has been parked for several hours. Not running, of course.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Maybe your nearby phone (email) is playing Interference with your vehicle electronics, despite no key in the ignition.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
It's the electric things around the engine. Those sounds are harmless, I had a Mercedes and Audi that also did that.
My son's BMW does that too--I can hear it coming from somewhere within the engine compartment; I forgot why it does that but it's not an uncommon thing. As to why it happens with an Optima--I dunno...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard my 2019 Optima FE do that a few times. My guess would be that it's something to do with the EVAP system. Sounds like a pump runs for a second or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I go out to my garage late one night. It’s maybe 1:30 or so a.m. Not a sound from anywhere, quiet as can be. All of a sudden, I hear some whirring sound for a couple of seconds and a soft click sound. Like I said, it was only happening for a couple of seconds. I thought it was odd, and kind of dismissed it. Well, it has happened several more times, even my wife heard it. She thinks my car is possessed. Not really, but still I wonder, what is going on with this new car. It is a 2020 Kia Optima FE. Anyone ever have that experience?
I have a new K5. I believe the sound you are hearing is the sensors recognizing your FOB and arming the doors and trunk to open or close prior to your pushing a button. My previous Optima EX would even move the side mirrors in and out as approached or walked away.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
3 Posts
2018 Optima EX here and I've heard some strange noise outside the car which is from the engine area, sometimes not all time. First thing I do is start sniffing for smoke, paranoid? Maybe!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts