Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem? 2013 2.0 ex if the car sits for a few days and I start it, you can hear there’s no oil pressure for a few seconds, then it’s fine after restarting, it’s as if the pressure bleeds off after time.
I changed oil and filter to rule that out..... I don’t like it esspecially with the kNown history of these engines

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
yeah the oil drains down completely into the pan as time goes on.

If starting it Everyday prevents that 'noise' then I'd do just that.

Different engines I hear rattle for a second or two as the oil makes it way from the pan to upper areas,

That is where most of the wear is, at startup. Uggg.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Probably not bearing/engine noise, but at start up the HP fuel pump is quite loud, in fact the
engine is probably the noisiest I've ever heard.
If there was no oil pressure, the oil pressure indicator light would be on.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
I have the same noise with my 14 2.0. I think it’s just lifter noise until oil gets up there. Been like that since new for me. 55k miles. No issues here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I feel better knowing I’m not the only one, it just started doing it the last year or so,

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Ok I feel better knowing I’m not the only one, it just started doing it the last year or so,
Curious......
What oil - what grade and what oil filter make/model?
Does the vehicle sit unattended on level ground?

You should be on level ground. You should be using synthetic 5w30 for more film strength and always use quality oil filters with the red silicone ADBV showing. These things help in your circumstance.

Last resort for a cheap fix is to include a small concentrate bottle of Rislone Oil Treatment in your existing oil. Walmart sells a-lot of it. Been around stores - seems forever anyways (1921).
I bought my first Rislone back in 1970.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
When I rebuilt engines, always assembled them with STP/oil mixture, clung to the crank, bearings etc. and used STP in all the cars.
Many, many years ago, my father purchased a new Buck, came over to the garage with 22 miles on the car, so I poured in a can of STP
and before I finished the can, the idle increased 400 rpm to the point where I needed to do some adjustments on the carb and anti-stall dashpot.
Needless to say, this was before computers were used in vehicles, but does go to show how and additive could be beneficial. Another car with
a big block had a very slight valve tap when started cold, can of STP and gone for good.

The only thing that would deter me from using this, or any additive on these wonderful engines, is if the engine seized, don't know about Rislone, but with
the STP, one could tell that an additive was being used, and there goes the warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts