Kia Optima Forums banner

Does your 4th gen Optima trunk lift at all when released?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SXL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a thread on this but don't think I'm the only one with the issue. I have the 2019 SXL with smart trunk feature but no matter what method i use to open the trunk it only unlatches and does not lift even 1 inch. Last time I was at the dealership I spoke with a service manager and we check various Optima models from 2016 to 2019 that were being services and got inconsistent results. Some had torsion and opened others just unlatched. I've had 2 dealerships inspect it and they say everything is the way it should be. When comparing mine to another year that actually lifts the torsion bars looks the same.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I paid so much money for the car and the release button, fob button and Smart Trunk are all pointless if i have to lift the l lid anyway. Might as well use the button on the trunk to open it.

Not necessarily expecting a full open but at least 3-4 inches. I see that there was a class action suit for this exact issue on the 2015-17 Sonata so I'm surprised to see this happening.

Any feedback would be helpful. No I'm not adding bungee cords to hack my car.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
IMHO the trunk torsion bar on the Optima is just not strong enough to provide enough oomph to lift the trunk lid open more than a few inches. There's a TSB for it--I tried adjusting it as described in the TSB yet even then the trunk lid still doesn't open far enough for my tastes. OTOH the trunk lid on my BMW 530i opens with so much force that it could almost knock you out if you're on the wrong end of it; unlike that on the Optima, the BMW trunk uses actual springs to provide the trunk lid tension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 18 EX only springs up if I open the trunk with the button on the dash. Key fob or button on the trunk lid it stays down.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
No difference for me regardless of which method I use to open the trunk; like some other folks I've resorted to using the bungee cord trick to add some tension to the trunk torsion bars in order to get the trunk lid to open wider.

·
Registered
2018 Optima 2018 Optima EX
48 Posts
I had the TSB applied and it helped, but sometimes it sticks. I think the gasket seal gets dirty and cleaning it thoroughly may help.

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
81 Posts
Found a copy of the TSB. You can view it at TSB Link

I messed around with my trunk yesterday. As with others, mine only unlatches. I removed my license plate frame and tried again and it opened about a foot or so. Seems they tried to walk a fine line between not opening and having it fly open, so any extra weight on the trunk lid will affect how far it opens (when working correctly). I am still going to try the TSB fix cause I did notice that the bars are not centered on the hinges.

An additional note, they do use different parts for the SX to account for spoiler weight. For example, the non-spoiler part number for the right rod is 79283D5020 whereas the number for a with spoiler is 79283D5030. I may have to look again later today and see if the numbers I saw on the bars are the part number and if they both end in 30.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
135 Posts
I really doubt Kia changed the springs on the SX/SXL to make up for the spoiler weight. Otherwise, they'd pop up more. Mine also just unlatches, basically. Maybe it goes up an inch, but not more than that. It's basically useless indeed, especially with the misleading title, which is the same language for electric trunks that actually open and close by themselves. It should have been named 'smart unlatch' :D.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
135 Posts
Tried editing my post, but there's no such feature (Why?). Anyway, tried the TSB, perfectly centering the spring against the trunk's 'arm', and lubing everything, and now the trunk opens about a foot, which apparently is the designed way to open. So it's better than nothing, but why not open it all the way? It'd require just a little more force, and doubt it'd be an impediment to close it even for the most feeble human beings. Oh well, again, better than nothing now, so happy to have seen this TSB...THREE YEARS after owning the car. Ha ha.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
135 Posts
I've resorted to using the bungee cord trick to add some tension
Hey, may I ask you for details on your 'bungee cord trick', to try it? Thank you. Couldn't find anything. Might try a ziptie, rather than a bungee cord, but need to see what exactly is the 'fix' with the bungee. I have a few different sizes, so hopefully one will be the correct one, if it comes to that.

My wife needed to use the trunk hands-free today, and the stupid thing didn't open at all. I tried it in my garage again, and it does open about a foot. But as I mentioned, the springs are so marginal, than the slightest change it just can't push the trunk lid up at all.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
489 Posts

Edit: 6/30/20 2 Left @ above so sites change per availability.
What I bought and am using right now. Nice to get two springs but 1st is fine since Sep 2017.........
After I sprayed the rubber with Vinylex the very rare times the seal stuck/wouldn't lift by itself - DISappeared. SXL's have a Smart Key sensor & the Trunk raises every time after I hear 4 beeps.

The Rod extending from the Blue Collar is an Adjustable Length item BUT you obviously need TWO Connecting points within its most-Extended distance. IF it loses some juice for lifting up just shorten the length a little to Increase Tension. Definitely Use Spring IF Distance issue is OK..

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
Ziptie will not work since it doesn't give you the tension (I don't know what the "physics" term is for that) needed to spring the trunk open; an actual spring like that shown in post #11 is the most ideal, however you would need to know/guess the length and spring rate of the spring--i.e., you could get the wrong spring that may either be not springy enough or too springy...hence the use of bungee cords as a viable option/substitute since unlike a real spring you can wrap the cord to adjust cord tension, plus it's cheaper than a real spring. The downside to using a bungee cord is that depending on build quality/material it'll slowly and eventually lose its original tension and could eventually snap due to long-term wear and tear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was searching for accessories for the JF Optima and found this....don't know if it would be of interest to anyone. I haven't seen it installed on anyone's car...anyone have any experience with this?

Auto trunk actuator

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
I think K5 Optima Store used to carry something similar to that but it's no longer offered, probably due to lack of widespread interest in buying it (it ain't cheap IIRC).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's 2017 Optima SXL has never opened, it clicks and unlocks, but moves less then a 1/4 inch. We was told they aren't supposed to open. Well, our daughter bought a used 2015 Optima and hers does. So we took it back to the dealership and they said, yes it's supposed to open. They ordered new torsion rods and put them on, and it still doesn't open. That's where we're at now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's 2017 Optima SXL has never opened, it clicks and unlocks, but moves less then a 1/4 inch. We was told they aren't supposed to open. Well, our daughter bought a used 2015 Optima and hers does. So we took it back to the dealership and they said, yes it's supposed to open. They ordered new torsion rods and put them on, and it still doesn't open. That's where we're at now.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
489 Posts
See Post #11 Buy Link above ... On 6/30 there are 2 left at this site, which appears to be shipping from the U.S.A. (Ca.) Vs China.
Don't expect Kia to provide what This Spring does - Order & be done with it.

Reactions: Pepi

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
973 Posts
Yup on doing the spring mod; I initially went cheap and used bungee cords but the elasticity of the cords eventually wore out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts