2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is proud to present to the Optima community

The NGK Spark Plug Collection

NGK R2556B-8 Racing Competition Spark Plugs

(BUY NOW)

Description:

Upgrade your factory spark plugs with these fantastic performance competition spark plugs from NGK
Engineered to withstand the harshest engine conditions
Improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions
Slow wear rate while providing stable idle

[HR][/HR]

NGK 1422 (ILKR8E6) Spark Plugs

(BUY NOW)

Description:

Great budget conscious upgrade to your stock spark plugs
These NGK 1422 plugs are a colder plug than OEM plugs
Better fuel economy and lower emissions
Faster starts and better acceleration
Best OEM Iridium plug available

Vehicle Applications:

2011+ Kia Optima 2.0T
2011+ Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING!

·
Vendor
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
SO people understand these for tuned cars, or theses upgrades for people running stock tune?
I would say the NGK racing plugs would be more for highly tuned vehicles. Its a bit overkill for stock or minor modded vehicles.

I have the 1422s for my Optima. No tune but I do have the Ark exhaust. I upgraded to those because of them being two steps colder than my stock plugs. Almost for piece of mind kind of thing because of the cylinder two issue. I feel the 1422s are great for stock or if you have a tune. Great price and I haven't had any issues with them.

FYI- Being upfront here, there are plenty of folks on here that are more knowledgable on our engine platform and its intricacies than I am but I do try and pass along what I know, which I give credit to this forum and its members.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
18 Posts
Just ordered my 1422's. The only thing I've done to Gale is the typhoon air intake, so not sure what to expect out of them. Will post about it after install. Has anyone else installed these? Anything particular or difficult I should know about the installation?

·
Registered
2014 kia sx turbo
44 Posts
I just installed mine about a week ago. It only takes 5 mins very easy and I noticed a little faster acceleration since it been really cold here a lot easier to start

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
106 Posts
Just ordered my 1422's. The only thing I've done to Gale is the typhoon air intake, so not sure what to expect out of them. Will post about it after install. Has anyone else installed these? Anything particular or difficult I should know about the installation?
I installed mine about 3 weeks ago nothing is difficult at all. Just check the plug gaps, I don't remember the exact gap number but you can find that info here on the forum.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,994 Posts
Thank you for your order with us! Nope not at all.

I just installed mine about a week ago. It only takes 5 mins very easy and I noticed a little faster acceleration since it been really cold here a lot easier to start
:thumbsup:

I installed mine about 3 weeks ago nothing is difficult at all. Just check the plug gaps, I don't remember the exact gap number but you can find that info here on the forum.
Yes these do come pre-gapped, however it's always a good rule of thumb to double check to ensure they are gapped correctly. The correct gap should be set to 0.028.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
77 Posts
Just scooped up a set of these from David! Can't wait till they get here! Again, customer service is best out there! Thanks David!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
Just scooped up a set of these from David! Can't wait till they get here! Again, customer service is best out there! Thanks David!
Thank you very much for your order with us. Also very much appreciate the feedback. You're very welcome.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
77 Posts
Got these installed yesterday. Instant difference in the car, I still had the factory plugs in my k5. When I hit the start button it's immediately running. Theres no wait time at all...bang running! Also notice a little better throttle response! Thanks David!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
115 Posts
I just installed a set of these. I always liked NGK plugs, these seem like great ones as well. The car studdard every few fires at first, drove it to temp and it went away. 3 days later I got a code after a morning of rough idling/driving.(never pulled the code, just assumed) Now I never checked the gap prior to install, they did noticeably look less gapped then the denso stocks. Checked the denso stocks(.028) on all 4 plugs, the NGKs came out of the box WAY under that. I gapped them to .030 and reset the computer, so far so good.

So CHECK your NGKs gaps for sure, but they are GREAT plugs.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
Got these installed yesterday. Instant difference in the car, I still had the factory plugs in my k5. When I hit the start button it's immediately running. Theres no wait time at all...bang running! Also notice a little better throttle response! Thanks David!
Thank you for your order Matt & you're welcome.

I just installed a set of these. I always liked NGK plugs, these seem like great ones as well. The car studdard every few fires at first, drove it to temp and it went away. 3 days later I got a code after a morning of rough idling/driving.(never pulled the code, just assumed) Now I never checked the gap prior to install, they did noticeably look less gapped then the denso stocks. Checked the denso stocks(.028) on all 4 plugs, the NGKs came out of the box WAY under that. I gapped them to .030 and reset the computer, so far so good.

So CHECK your NGKs gaps for sure, but they are GREAT plugs.
Thank you for the heads up on this.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
These NGK 1422 need to have the gap at 0.8mm? Or use as is?
The plugs will come out of the box pe pre-gapped to the right amount. However it's always good to double check before installing them to be sure. The correct gap should be 0.028 before installing them.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX - Sold Aug 17, 2020 :(
172 Posts
Just got the NGK R2556B-8 Racing Competition spark plugs! Thanks again David for the quick shipping on these puppies. Just gotta wait on Amazon for some of their tools to get these installed. Will update on the performance soon!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just got the NGK R2556B-8 Racing Competition spark plugs! Thanks again David for the quick shipping on these puppies. Just gotta wait on Amazon for some of their tools to get these installed. Will update on the performance soon!
Thanks again!
Follow up to my earlier post... Got the NGK Racing spark plugs installed really easily. Here are some links that I followed:

-A write up on the third generation Kia Optima sedan equipped with the Theta II 2.4 liter inline four cylinder GDI:
Kia Optima Engine Spark Plugs Replacement Guide - Theta II 2.4L GDI Motor - 2011 To 2014 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions
-As well as a Dummies.com How To on changing spark plugs:
How to Remove Old Spark Plugs - For Dummies

Followed the first post and there I was with a working car performing a lot better! Still need time to test out the plugs long term. And need to wait out a gas tank or two in order to install the CANBUS module. For the install, I gapped all the plugs to 0.028, most of them were already gapped perfectly. Got them installed, and started the engine. The only thing I did notice the first time starting up was a slight sputter. Only the first time though. I'll keep you post with performance. Thanks again K5OS!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,994 Posts
Thanks again!
Follow up to my earlier post... Got the NGK Racing spark plugs installed really easily. Here are some links that I followed:

-A write up on the third generation Kia Optima sedan equipped with the Theta II 2.4 liter inline four cylinder GDI:
Kia Optima Engine Spark Plugs Replacement Guide - Theta II 2.4L GDI Motor - 2011 To 2014 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions
-As well as a Dummies.com How To on changing spark plugs:
How to Remove Old Spark Plugs - For Dummies

Followed the first post and there I was with a working car performing a lot better! Still need time to test out the plugs long term. And need to wait out a gas tank or two in order to install the CANBUS module. For the install, I gapped all the plugs to 0.028, most of them were already gapped perfectly. Got them installed, and started the engine. The only thing I did notice the first time starting up was a slight sputter. Only the first time though. I'll keep you post with performance. Thanks again K5OS!
Josh thank you for placing your order with us. Happy to hear you got them installed without any issues. I think when you mention needing to wait before installing the CANBUS module, that you actually meant the LAP3 chip. lol

You're very welcome and again thank you for your business with us!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Josh thank you for placing your order with us. Happy to hear you got them installed without any issues. I think when you mention needing to wait before installing the CANBUS module, that you actually meant the LAP3 chip. lol

You're very welcome and again thank you for your business with us!
Yep, you're right! Waiting to get the LAP3 chip installed! Got a couple mods waiting in line to get installed and got mixed up. The CANBUS in still in progress to get installed. Just hard setting time apart to get the CANBUS module installed without a proper garage in which to work in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts