Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum and I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I bought a 2012 Kia Optima and upgraded the wheels 20 inch alloy wheels. I drove for about 30 minutes and the TPMS light came on.
The question is, will I need to replace the TPMS sensors on the wheels? Or can I avoid doing this by having the car relearn the sensors? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
First, I would assume that tire air pressure has been checked.
Which light, the low pressure light or the TPMS system malfunction light?
Where they new sensors? Some have said they will relearn, but from my experience, they need to be scanned into the system.
If the same 4 TPMS sensors, and the light is on, then I'd say one was damaged during the installation.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I'm with Turbonut on the troubleshooting steps--first off, which TPMS message/warning are you getting, the one about low tire pressure or the TPMS malfunction indicator (the tire symbol with the exclamation point symbol inside of it)? Note--it is possible to get both the low tire pressure message AND the TPMS malfunction indicator if say, one tire is low on air but another tire/wheel has a malfunctioning TPMS.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @infallibleusmc

Sorry to hear that the TPMS sensors stopped working.

Hopefully, after checking the advice above you can get them working.

Let us know the culprit if you end up getting it figured out.

Hope to see you around the forum.

David
K5 Optima Store

1 - 6 of 6 Posts