Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Optima Owners!

I am a first time Father (best thing in the WORLD) however with the Wife being the perfect Mama she is, has convinced me to sell my Harley Davidson (first time in 10 years w/o one) and got rid of my 2002 Audi B6 A4 - this was my last baby and built up pretty well!
Full APR Stage 3 Tune - Big Turbo - FMIC - 034 Motorsports 3" Test Pipe, Custom Piping after TP all the way back with Remus Mufflers, Booooosting at 21 PSI and converted to S4 all around! S4 Body, their lovely S4 rotors/calipers with R1 Concepts Drilled/Slotted Rotors and some RS4 cosmetic Conversions :) ANYWAYS - I LOVE my cars and LOVE my Harley's but now have Paid off the Kia Optima SX-T we got 2 years ago and got Mama her brand new CX-5 Grand Touring GT Premium. She feels my pain and is aware that I'm ITCHING to start working on the Kia.

This Month: I'll be ordering SRI - either CX Racing 3.5" or Injen 3", possibly even just build my own as I did for my Audi and many other cars...

Would you guys mind giving me some friendly advice? I'm starting extremely slow and my Wife has given me an "allowance" if you will to put in to my K5 monthly, not much - but ANYTHING will feel GREAT to get started!

QUESTIONS/FRIENDLY ADVICE/PREFERENCES :

INTAKE?
: Is the CX Racing 3.5" too large - anyone running this and what is the BEST/preferred Intake for our K5 SX Turbos?

DIY BOV MOD now - Best/Fav. BOV after Intake Install?: Just Ordered the 1" K&N Filter for the DIY BOV Mod which arrives tomorrow and I can install at my Office this weekend, however have been offered the Torque Sound Plate - for me this is rough bc I know it's ONLY for the sound and my Audi needed just the Recirc. - not venting anything to atmosphere. I really want to enjoy the Sound and this Kia is impressive! SO: What is the best/cost efficient BOV once I get more done? HSK SSQ4 or? Any other good BOV's highly recommend at a good price?

What should come next? I would imagine a good DP (any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!) I'd possibly like to do Custom Exhaust Piping (2.5" or 3" and for a mellow GOOD Sound - nothing too wild) with a good looking Sounding Muffler? Has anyone ran something Custom after the DP with a good Muffler to top it off?

SUSPENSION?:
OF Course Suspension (most likely before the DP and Exhaust) and how is it running Springs on stock struts/shocks? I've ran just spring on stock shocks, full coil-overs, and springs with KYB shocks in the past - BUT would love to get good shocks for the drop....what is recommended/preferred for our cars?

I've added a cheap little Front CF "looking lip" and bought a lower read 7 finned Diffuser supposedly for the Kia - However I'll have to modify it and I'd like to get one MADE for our car - just haven;t found a good source.....Recommendations or good Vendors to look at?

I'd like to get a full Tune (Have no Idea where to start w/ the Tune, :Larger Injectors to support a good Tune, and FMIC etc. in due time - but this is just a start. I'm really looking forward to joining this community as I've already spent a good deal of time reading through various threads, seems like a GREAT Forum with some rad people! ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED and I'd love to learn where you guys started with your cars and of course get any input or the best routes/vendors/products to run on my K5!

Cheers and thank you ALL in advance!

-Chad

***Below is the Kia Sitting Currently:

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,829 Posts
Hey how did you get that front lip? Any advice on how we can get one or make our own?

As for the rear diffuser, there used to be polycarbonate and carbon fiber ones available, but I think they are discontinued. Maybe you can find a used one during a part-out?

For suspension, I'm aware of 3 choices, in order of preference (and increasing cost):
1) lowering springs on stock shocks
2) lowering springs on tru-hart shocks - these shocks are designed to have lower stroke and work better than the stock suspension when working with lowered springs
3) coilovers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey King!

Honestly spent $30 on Amazon - it's like the EZ Lip Material but CF Looking! I let it lay out flat with books on it for a week or two and just used the 3M tape and added screws! It made it looks SO much better and a super easy cheap mod!

- CHAD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey how did you get that front lip? Any advice on how we can get one or make our own?

As for the rear diffuser, there used to be polycarbonate and carbon fiber ones available, but I think they are discontinued. Maybe you can find a used one during a part-out?

For suspension, I'm aware of 3 choices, in order of preference (and increasing cost):
1) lowering springs on stock shocks
2) lowering springs on tru-hart shocks - these shocks are designed to have lower stroke and work better than the stock suspension when working with lowered springs
3) coilovers

Thank you for the advice! Looking into right away! Any experience with diff SRI /Intakes?

Cheers!

-CHAD

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,763 Posts
Not a big fan of the sri or even a cold air intake that takes the intake air from the engine compartment

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
109 Posts
I run the tru-hart setup, and am very happy with the stock-ish ride (just lower) for my daily. Pic for reference. The K&N is a bit pricey, but worth it to have the proven design. Sounds good and I know I will get plenty of air. HKS B.O.V. sound good too for that matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts