Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course not even 7 days after I bring home my 2020 Optima, I notice a small scratch on the passenger side dash. I have no idea how it got there. I have had a few passengers in the car, but I can’t for the life of me think how this occurred. Is there any way to hide this? Touch up paint of some sort? I can’t unsee it now.. and it’s way to early to have even a small scratch like this! Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the dealer will cover it under factory warranty. Ask...
I doubt it. They will most likely say it’s accidental damage. Not the end of the world, just sucks because it looks A LOT bigger and badder to me, that it is lol

With that said.. was it like this when I left the lot and I just never noticed it until now... that is a possibility,...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
That seems like the type of scratch that will disappear if you can decently match the color with touch-up paint.

BUT make sure you practice on a spare piece of plastic before trying your car. Make a similar scratch in plastic, and use the touch-up paint to try and fill the scratch, so you see how the particular applicator works. Check youtube videos to see how to fill the "hole" so it's flush, without needing to sand down the dried paint afterward. Like using a toothpick, be patient and don't rush it, one dot at a time.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That seems like the type of scratch that will disappear if you can decently match the color with touch-up paint.

BUT make sure you practice on a spare piece of plastic before trying your car. Make a similar scratch in plastic, and use the touch-up paint to try and fill the scratch, so you see how the particular applicator works. Check youtube videos to see how to fill the "hole" so it's flush, without needing to sand down the dried paint afterward. Like using a toothpick, be patient and don't rush it, one dot at a time.
Thank you for the detailed suggestion. I think this is the route I may go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Playing with it may make it worst. Yes it sucks, but like everything else in life, you'll stop seeing it after a while, and it'll just be another small scratch amongst others as the car ages.

Sorry, just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
The black on silver makes a high-contrast blemish that stands out. Leaving the blemish as a black color is probably more noticeable than having a silver on silver blemish, even if you totally botch the job and make a dime-sized silver bullseye on top of the silver background.

Current touch up paint is fairly fancy. I touched up a bicycle frame that was blue metal flake, and was amazed at how close the touch up paint got it. The touch up looked MUCH better than the original blemishes.

For this situation, silver is probably even easier to match than blue metal flake.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I suppose I'd too be bothered at having to know that there's such a blemish if it were my car, but at the same time if I can't get it fixed or at least make it a bit less noticeable...there are worse things to be bothered or annoyed about than a small scratch that does nothing to impede operation of the vehicle. Heck I have a 3-inch long whitish-colored scuff mark (probably caused by a passenger rubbing his leg or shoe against it when entering/exiting the vehicle) on the lower part of the dark-colored (i.e., black) inner door panel that won't come off no matter how much blackout product or Magic Eraser I apply to it. Is it an eyesore to my eyes--you betcha! But I've learned to live with it since after all it's not as ugly or noticeable when compared to a door ding or key scratch on the body.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I have stepped down from the ledge a bit.. getting a bit used to it! At some point I may find some tough up paint to at least make it silver so it doesn’t really stand out as much. But all it took was about a week to obtain the first scratch... at least it’s out of the way lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would write it off as that first ding that sticks out like a sore thumb for awhile. Mess with it and it may looks worse. I'm the same way about my cars but I tend to overlook it after a month or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts