Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Bone stock 2020 Kia Optima SX Turbo baby!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! My name is Bryan I just got a midnight black 2020 Kia Optima SX Turbo. Almost got a 2018 turbo a few years back but the wifey demanded an SUV. Well, that had issues so I traded it in for this! I'm a happy camper now. I used to be a pretty heavy enthusiast back in my high school days but life got serious and I had to put the toys away. Kids are a bit older now so I'm diving back into it slowly. Ultimate goal is to get a fun Miata or something similar to do SCCA with but until then, the Optima will do. Looking to chat, have fun and learn a few DIY on this car. The ones I'm looking to do the most are: 1. Custom CAI, 2. Boost Gauge, and 3. Best method to get the pffft noise again. I know how to do each of those but am looking for peeps with experience with this car to help save me some time and $$$. Thanks!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,012 Posts
Howdy all! My name is Bryan I just got a midnight black 2020 Kia Optima SX Turbo. Almost got a 2018 turbo a few years back but the wifey demanded an SUV. Well, that had issues so I traded it in for this! I'm a happy camper now. I used to be a pretty heavy enthusiast back in my high school days but life got serious and I had to put the toys away. Kids are a bit older now so I'm diving back into it slowly. Ultimate goal is to get a fun Miata or something similar to do SCCA with but until then, the Optima will do. Looking to chat, have fun and learn a few DIY on this car. The ones I'm looking to do the most are: 1. Custom CAI, 2. Boost Gauge, and 3. Best method to get the pffft noise again. I know how to do each of those but am looking for peeps with experience with this car to help save me some time and $$$. Thanks!
Hey Bryan, @an80sPWNstar welcome to the Optima Forums!

Congrats on getting your 2020 Optima SX Turbo.

As the largest aftermarket supplier of Kia Optima Products, I would definitely recommend checking out our website.

While we do not have Boost gauges here, we do have CAI's & BOVs on our site.

We carry both the BOV sound plate, which is just for the noise, and then we carry the actual Blow Off Valve from HKS.

HKS BOV Kit for Kia & Hyundai Vehicles - K5 Optima Store

Kia & Hyundai - 2.0T BOV Sound Plate - K5 Optima Store

Feel free to reach out with any questions to [email protected] & I'd be happy to help.

-David
K5 Optima Store

Check out K5optimastore com
Thank you~

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed that that BOV still has the recirculation tube. Why? Does it not vent the air? To me it seems like if you want to get that BOV, it's because you are running more boost than the stock can handle and you don't want to lose pressure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome. Im new here as well. At first, thought PWN was PNW (Pacific North West) lol. Im in Seattle hoping to find more track enthusiasts around here. I track my '01 E46 330ci. Miata's are a great. Are you looking to AutoX or Road Course Racing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More than likely the AutoCross. Drag racing is fun for a quick rush but handling corners, managing throttle, following racing lines....that stuff is hella fun :) You should post a pic of that E46

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,012 Posts
I just noticed that that BOV still has the recirculation tube. Why? Does it not vent the air? To me it seems like if you want to get that BOV, it's because you are running more boost than the stock can handle and you don't want to lose pressure.
Are you referring to the sound plate or the actual blow off valve? Some people decide to blow it off to the atmosphere, others decide to recirculate it, it all depends on how you want to have it setup on your own vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to just use the BOV and ignore the hose totally if possible. By doing that, I've read that turbo cars will have something programmed in the ECU to account for that extra air and will add a bit more fuel to adjust. by removing the hose, that metered air is not coming in and thus the car runs a squinch rich. is that so with my 2020 optima sx turbo?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,012 Posts
I would like to just use the BOV and ignore the hose totally if possible. By doing that, I've read that turbo cars will have something programmed in the ECU to account for that extra air and will add a bit more fuel to adjust. by removing the hose, that metered air is not coming in and thus the car runs a squinch rich. is that so with my 2020 optima sx turbo?
I'm sorry I don't know anything about that. I would consult with a local automotive mechanic for assistance with that question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the HKS BOV, does the air go through itself or through that recirculating outlet? From the pictures, one has the recirculating hose connected and another has it capped on both ends. Do you still get the pffft noise if you leave the hose connected?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,012 Posts
On the HKS BOV, does the air go through itself or through that recirculating outlet? From the pictures, one has the recirculating hose connected and another has it capped on both ends. Do you still get the pffft noise if you leave the hose connected?
The correct way IMO is to cap off the ends...

However, we do not work on cars here or do any installs at all, which is why I recommended working with a professional automotive mechanic if you are not sure yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts