Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I inherited a 2012 optima sx along with all sorts of problems which is wild since it has only 82k miles. I joined this forum with plans of lurking around and seeking to find info from members with similar problems. Hopefully I'll gain some insights along the way and use those insights to assist when possible.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,987 Posts
Welcome, and not unusual as it's a Kia. Make certain the KSDS update (not a recall) has been done, then the engine comes with a lifetime warranty for one specific issue they call debris, just a junk engine that can use large quantities of oil and seize at the most inopportune time.
Any concerns, just ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Turbonut. My VIN is on the NHTSA list for vehicles covered by the recall. I'll be taking it to the dealer as soon as it's registered and legal to drive in my state. I've also got to get the MDPS coupling replaced as well as the trans oil temp sensor. I think there is also a TSB related to some faulty rear suspension components. O joy o joy.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,987 Posts
Depending on the state, but the coupler was covered by a customer service satisfaction program, the one in my '11 was replaced free, same as the turbo oil feed line. I replaced the ATF temp sensor back in 2019, another part that's a problem.
They had another program where they sprayed goop all over the underside of the vehicle to stop rust, but it was like closing the barn door after the horse escaped. I had to cut the entire rear suspension components out of the car as no adjustment could be made, rusted solid, and unusual these days, but the exhaust system, r/s muffler completely gone, and left side went where the muffler connected to the y pipe.
Bottom line, you'll have fun with the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts