Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m ordering a new MAP sensor and Kia is saying I would still need a waste gate adjustment (they wanted to charge me $300 with tax just for the map sensor alone) my family friend who owns a dealership is getting me it for $86(****** up how dealerships raise prices so much huh) well since he can get it so cheap as he’s getting it for wholesale I am installing it myself. So is it really NECESSARY to do a wastegate adjustment as KIA says? I was told it will adjust its self with the new MAP sensor

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
Are you sure Kia was saying that the new sensor will cause you to need a waste gate adjustment? Maybe they were just saying you needed the sensor and the adjustment like two separate things unrelated.

But I'm not certain whether the sensor causes a need for adjustment, hoping someone else will confirm. I'm more looking for you to recall specifically what the dealer said, maybe they were using careful language to make it seem like they were related.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure Kia was saying that the new sensor will cause you to need a waste gate adjustment? Maybe they were just saying you needed the sensor and the adjustment like two separate things unrelated.

But I'm not certain whether the sensor causes a need for adjustment, hoping someone else will confirm. I'm more looking for you to recall specifically what the dealer said, maybe they were using careful language to make it seem like they were related.
I was there for 8 hours yesterday asking questions and yes they were saying it was needed stating it would mess up the new map sensor (this was the manager btw) so he’s probably oblivious to any of this and just fright to make more money but yes that is exactly what he said and I’ve never heard of that as to why I was asking on the forum I figured he was just trying to get more money out of me lmao

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he said it was necessary and to get it adjusted as soon as possible after installing the new MAP sensor

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
If you do a search here on the forum, there are several threads showing how to adjust that yourself so that you don’t need to pay the dealership to do it for you, it’s pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts
But if not necessary then no need to
The MAP sensor on the intake manifold and the Turbo boost sensor on the pipe going from intercooler to throttle body should be the same exact sensor with the part number right on them. I had a boost sensor code and wasted money on it because all it needed was the waste gate adjustment. If u have a MAP sensor code maybe it is bad but you could clear the code and switch them and see if the code changes.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
Hmm is there a wastegate calibration routine?

The issue I keep coming back to, is that the waste gate adjustment is performed based on voltage of a position sensor, completely independent of anything else. Just a position, as detected by a position sensor that puts out a voltage.

Every thing I've seen, you adjust based on the voltage and don't care about things like a MAP sensor.

Instead, you target a specific range of positions based on the voltage of the position sensor.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts
Hmm is there a wastegate calibration routine?

The issue I keep coming back to, is that the waste gate adjustment is performed based on voltage of a position sensor, completely independent of anything else. Just a position, as detected by a position sensor that puts out a voltage.

Every thing I've seen, you adjust based on the voltage and don't care about things like a MAP sensor.

Instead, you target a specific range of positions based on the voltage of the position sensor.
There's not a routine but the Turbo boost sensor is what I believe tells you that the waste gate needs to be adjusted and not the MAP sensor. I was just trying to tell him to see if that MAP sensor is actually bad by moving it to the boost sensor location to see if that particular sensor that is at the MAP sensor location currently is actually a bad part before he wastes $100 like I did.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts
If you do a search here on the forum, there are several threads showing how to adjust that yourself so that you don’t need to pay the dealership to do it for you, it’s pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
173 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The waste gate adjustment is done manually, so I don't see how the map sensor would adjust it automatically. Unless you're getting a code after the map sensor installation, there shouldn't be any need for an adjustment. The adjustment is a little tricky, but likely can be done by yourself. You'll know it if there's an issue; you'll have a very noticeable decrease in power. Check previous posts for how to make the adjustment. You'll need an electric meter, 10mm socket & wrenches and patience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts